Mother of 8 battles failing health, Georgia Medicaid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

succotash

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current government healthcare in action:

Mother of 8 battles failing health, Medicaid

By ANDY MILLER
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 06/11/08

Every evening, instead of bringing her dinner, one of her daughters attaches a long tube to a catheter that dangles from Sabrina Holloway's arm. A pump delivers nutrients into a vein for 16 hours, as Holloway lays in bed at home.Holloway cannot eat or drink. She has been fed intravenously since January, when doctors removed most of her small intestine. The mother of eight needs an intestinal transplant, according to her doctor, Ian Katz, a general surgeon in Decatur. Without that surgery, Holloway likely will not live long, Katz says. "Two to three years, I'm guessing.''
The bags of nutrients keep her alive, but they don't ease the pain and fear. "I feel so sick," Holloway says in her soft voice, barely audible over the whirl of a small electric fan beside her. In these moments, she looks older than her 38 years.Right now her hope for a transplant is stalled at an intersection of payment and insurance coverage — a labyrinth that many individuals seeking medical care, even those who are insured, struggle to navigate. Holloway is covered by Georgia Medicaid, the health insurance program for the poor and disabled that's jointly funded by the state and federal governments.When Katz asked Medicaid to approve the intestinal transplant, the state replied that it did not cover this surgery for patients 21 and older. The federal government gives state Medicaid programs leeway on which transplants to approve. Georgia Medicaid allows transplants of kidney, liver, bone marrow and cornea for adults, according to the rejection letter sent to Katz. "Lung, bowel, pancreas and heart-lung transplants are not covered," the letter states. Other states' Medicaid programs — which have their own coverage rules — approve intestinal transplants for people Holloway's age. "To my knowledge, most Medicaid programs cover it," says Dr. Douglas Farmer, head of the intestinal transplant program at UCLA. The operation costs $200,000 to $400,000, doctors say. A year of nutritional intravenous feeding, as Holloway now requires, can cost $150,000, Farmer says. "They could get out cheaper with a transplant,'' says Farmer, who says intestinal transplants can cost less than $200,000. Georgia Medicaid's ruling, he says, "is very surprising." In Holloway's case, the Medicaid spending on IV treatment doesn't include the bills for four subsequent hospitalizations for infections. The intravenous feeding makes Holloway prone to infection, Katz says. Holloway has an abnormal blood-clotting condition that has caused the destruction of most of her small intestine. "She's miserable," Katz says. "A transplant would allow her to enjoy life. "Even when approved by insurance, an intestinal transplant isn't a common medical process. About 150 procedures are performed worldwide each year, UCLA's Farmer says. The waiting list for an intestinal transplant — currently at 230 nationwide — is relatively small because not many of the procedures are done, says the United Network for Organ Sharing. The median wait time is 200 to 250 days, says Joel Newman, a UNOS spokesman, who adds that intestinal transplants are more commonly performed in children than adults. The long-term success rate has improved partly because better drugs have been developed to counteract the organ-rejection problem. Ironically, the same federal agency that oversees Medicaid approved intestinal transplants for Medicare patients in 2000. The decision by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services "was huge for us in the field," Farmer says. As often occurs after a Medicare approval, coverage from many private insurance plans followed. No Georgia hospital performs intestinal transplants. A Florida hospital that does, the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Medical Center, Katz says, has indicated that it would do the Holloway operation — with Medicaid funding. For now, Holloway remains in limbo. She returned home from DeKalb Medical in mid-May from a stay for an infection. But later in the month, another infection sent her back to the hospital. Her kids, she says, "are so stressed out because I've been in the hospital so much. "Holloway was born at Grady Memorial Hospital and has lived in the area since. With a large family, she has not worked since she was a teenager. Her bedroom in the rented Ellenwood home has stacks of bandages, medical tape and surgical gloves. A television provides distraction, as does the constant presence of her kids, ranging in ages from early 20s to 10. Her children help keep the home running and make their own meals. One of her twin daughters and her husband, Hydrick, help hook her up to the bag of IV nutrients. "I just want to be me again — that's all I want,'' Holloway says. "So I can be a mother again.''
"I don't want to think of in a year, I may not live," she says, but adds: "I have tremendous faith in God. God's going to turn this around."
Holloway is otherwise relatively healthy and a good candidate for a transplant, Katz says. They have appealed the Medicaid decision. Georgia Medicaid, through a spokeswoman, declined to discuss Holloway's case, citing privacy rules. The appeal has already taken weeks, and there's no end in sight. Katz says a Medicaid official told him that there were hundreds of cases ahead of Holloway's. It may take months for the review, Katz says. Georgia Medicaid has a "huge backlog" on appeals, says Linda Lowe, a consumer health advocate. "I know cases that have been on appeal for months that haven't even been sent to the hearing officer.'' Meanwhile, Katz has suggested that if Georgia continues to reject her appeals, Holloway should move to a state that covers the operation, such as North Carolina or South Carolina, and establish residency. Asked why he has worked so hard for her, Katz replies: "Every human life to me is precious. If something is fixable, and there's hope, we should do it. "She has a long potential life ahead of her," Katz adds. Through it all, Holloway is determined to get better. "I'm ready to go to Florida and do what I got to do."

Members don't see this ad.

I suppose this is an argument against gov't healthcare or an expansion of medicare. There are just as many cases, if not more, of private insurance doing exactly the same thing. This sort of stuff, bad as it may be, happens all of the time.

I suppose this is an argument against gov't healthcare or an expansion of medicare. There are just as many cases, if not more, of private insurance doing exactly the same thing. This sort of stuff, bad as it may be, happens all of the time.
Yep, I remember an HMO being in the news only a few months ago for a girl dying after the HMO refused to pay for a liver transplant.

Denial of care occurs with government and HMO programs. However, I think it occurs more frequently with HMO's since they must maintain their profit margins.

Members don't see this ad :)
No system of insurance, whether public or private, is or will ever be perfect. However, from my previous experience working in a billing department of a clinic where roughly 80% of the patients are on Medicare and Medicaid, I can say that dealing with government can be more problematic in terms of dealing with red tape, than working with private insurance companies. Medicare is notorious for changing coverage policies on the fly without informing the providers in a clear and timely manner. Calling a representative to get an explanation for the denial of payment is often a futile task, as more often than not, they themselves are not aware of the policy changes in which case they would just hang up on you knowing that there is no way you can hold them accountable for providing poor customer service. I am not saying that working with HMOs is much easier in this regard, but they tend to be a little more responsive than the government.

Yep, I remember an HMO being in the news only a few months ago for a girl dying after the HMO refused to pay for a liver transplant.
It could be that we're thinking of two different patients, but wasn't the teen girl who needed a liver transplant in a coma with a host of other medical problems who probably would have died with or without the liver transplant?

medicare and medicaid are not the same program. expansion of medicare would not affect this lady, as it's a medicaid issue.

medicaid is funded by state income tax, and is primarily aimed and people with low/no income +/- disability. states without state income tax don't have much funding for medicaid.

medicare is funded by federal income tax, and is primarily aimed at retirement age (65 and older) people.

This sounds like people trying to not accept death with a degree of dignity regardless of the cost of transplant or not. The only possible reason I would allow state funds to go to her is because she has some kids.

Interesting point to consider is why does she have 8 kids? How have they been taken care of? Are they being thrown to the side or is there some funding allocated for them? I think that's more important.

Well, I think people shouldn't be allowed to have more than 2 kids because humans are just a burden on the world, but that's a whole another topic.

This sounds like people trying to not accept death with a degree of dignity regardless of the cost of transplant or not. The only possible reason I would allow state funds to go to her is because she has some kids.

Interesting point to consider is why does she have 8 kids? How have they been taken care of? Are they being thrown to the side or is there some funding allocated for them? I think that's more important.

Well, I think people shouldn't be allowed to have more than 2 kids because humans are just a burden on the world, but that's a whole another topic.

I am curious as to what life choices someone has to make in order to have 8 kids, no paternal support for any of the 8, no other real support for the kids while she's sick, and to be 100% reliant on Medicaid for all of her medical care. It's not that any one of these things couldn't be an accident, but all of them?

P.S. I wonder why someone of her age needs a SBT? She's too old for NEC, and she's too young to be dealing with ischemic damage without some underlying clotting disorder or one of those crazy cases of the 400 pounder with a blood sugar of 500 and a BP of 250/110.

I am curious as to what life choices someone has to make in order to have 8 kids, no paternal support for any of the 8, no other real support for the kids while she's sick, and to be 100% reliant on Medicaid for all of her medical care. It's not that any one of these things couldn't be an accident, but all of them?

P.S. I wonder why someone of her age needs a SBT? She's too old for NEC, and she's too young to be dealing with ischemic damage without some underlying clotting disorder or one of those crazy cases of the 400 pounder with a blood sugar of 500 and a BP of 250/110.
Ugh, I think you missed that in the article. "Holloway has an abnormal blood-clotting condition that has caused the destruction of most of her small intestine."

Futuredo, we are thinking of the same patient. Care for the patient needing the liver transplant is just as futile as care for the woman on Medicaid. The liver transplant patient would die anyway, and the Medicaid patient would likely reject her transplant anyway (because of her clotting disorder, it is likely she will have a mesenteric infarction again).

I hear what you're saying but frequently bad decisions propagate themselves. Teen pregnancy, drop out of school, no education leads to poorly paying jobs, ect. Throw in some drugs and sub par intelligence and mix in some self perpetuating government entitlements and there you go.

On a related note an old friend of mine had a theory that rebutted the old left wing poverty leads to crime out of a sense of desperation concept. He argued that crime leads to poverty because a criminal record prevents one from getting good jobs. He also noted that a culture as we currently have in the US which glorifies gang involvement and criminal activity at a young age virtually guarantees that those individuals will reach adulthood with various marks on their records that make them unemployable.

Ugh, I think you missed that in the article. "Holloway has an abnormal blood-clotting condition that has caused the destruction of most of her small intestine."

Futuredo, we are thinking of the same patient. Care for the patient needing the liver transplant is just as futile as care for the woman on Medicaid. The liver transplant patient would die anyway, and the Medicaid patient would likely reject her transplant anyway (because of her clotting disorder, it is likely she will have a mesenteric infarction again).

Yeah, I missed the bit about the clotting condition.

Denial of care occurs with government and HMO programs. However, I think it occurs more frequently with HMO's since they must maintain their profit margins.
Wait, but isn't HMO just another word for Hillary care? Essentially an extension of the government by virtue of the fact that its the result of clinton intervention? :D

Wait, but isn't HMO just another word for Hillary care? Essentially an extension of the government by virtue of the fact that its the result of clinton intervention? :D
No, the current HMO model was born in the early 1900's, but didn't become popular until the Nixon era.

Your smiley face is throwing me off, is this post supposed to be serious?