Motivation in med school???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you guys keep your motivation going? I am probably gonna start an SMP in two weeks and I really dont have too much motivation anymore.

Members don't see this ad.

Taking a look at my loan statements.

Members don't see this ad :)
NRAI2001 said:
How do you guys keep your motivation going? I am probably gonna start an SMP in two weeks and I really dont have too much motivation anymore.

Shadow some docs, work with some patients to get you excited about why you're going through this hell. Good luck with the smp program, ignore my other post about deferring your acceptance, I didn't realize you were talking about an smp.

RxnMan said:
So which is it? Do you have an acceptance or not?

he's accepted to the BMS program at RFU.

My motivation is looking forward to a rewarding, relatively secure job, that let's me sleep soundly every night. But if you are not motivated, don't come. I'm not saying this to be mean, but if you don't come into the program and gun, you are n't going to help your app any and you are going to be out $50,000

I will be in the same boat as you..except I have to a premed track to finish off coursework. My dad always tells me to really just find a point you love and maximize that. I told him how I just didn't want to go spend all this time and what not.....his reply was simply "If I THOUGHT about how much time it'd take me to get to where I am today.....I probably wouldn't have done it..So..just don't think about it." Motivation is a hard thing though...sometimes you need to do things to remember why and other times you need to leave the stuff for a bit and just realize how much you'd miss not doing it.

RxnMan said:
So which is it? Do you have an acceptance or not?

I have an acceptance to an SMP program like Mperor pointed out. Though its not technically being in med school, I will be taking 3 to 4 hardcore medical classes with the medical students each quarter. If I do well in the program I can get into CMS the very next year. Sooooo if I go I need to work my very hardest, which I m not sure I can do at this point bc I am kinda burnt out.

ok look you want motivation, you want somebody to tell you life is peachy and just keep trucking..forget it you decide what you want to do and go getit. You want to get into med school, so do alot of others and when you remove the gifted what you have left is a pack of people that seperate by effort alone.

If yoou choose to use burn-out as an excuse its your life man.
buck up, suck it up and kick a$$ or stay home and save yourself the 50 grand