1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Motivation/Time/Preparation and other such qualms

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by GloryVA, May 16, 2008.

1. GloryVA

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Here's my story:

(But before I begin, quick things to know about me. Non-trad. Graduated early in 2006 from BU. June 13th test. Lots of ECs and stuff. LORs are great. I really want an allopathic school more than anything. NYU is my top pick.)

I have been studying for the MCATs forever, much like you guys. Well, it feels like forever. I started a year ago February to take it last July. But I just didn't feel ready when the time came, and cancelled it at the last minute. My class was alright, great even, but I wasn't testing well. I had a tutor, but he sucked and didn't really provide me with the help I wanted/needed. Anyway, the time kept drawing nearer and I kept postponing the test. I couldn't ever break 30 on my practice tests. I think I was capping out at 26, which felt sucky because I aced all my sciences (except OChem, but hey, it's hard).

I started again with the classes this past October, and have a tutor again. He rocks. My scores have been pretty unsteady though. The same stuff is happening. I do well in class, and on paper, but not when it comes to the testing. I completed the course and technically learned everything, but I feel like I'm starting from scratch right before my MCATs. The scores are again fluctuating between 26-27. My dream is 35 or 36. But I'll settle for just cracking 30. I've got 4 more weeks. I mean, I know I have the knowledge somewhere in the back of my head, it's just not coming out. My verbals have been super high, it's just PS and BS that have been up and down like crazy. I figure if I just lock myself away for these last 4 weeks, and study like 8 or 10 hours a day and just keep practice testing and stuff, I can get it down. It may even just be stress that's causing my scores to plummet. (After I take the practice tests and go over them, I completely see where I mess up. I mean, if we could all take the MCATs untimed, or even double time, we'd be happy campers, I think, haha.)

I hope I can do it. I'm a pretty optimistic person in general. I want to do well and not waste another year of my life by not being in medical school or because of fear. I don't want to postpone again. I know everyone has different prep times, and in the past, I've been a good crammer. So I'm appealing to you guys. Any words of wisdom? Is it do-able to just start again from scratch (except, not really. I have some foundation, I guess, haha. I just feel like a blank slate right now) 4 weeks before the test and just rock out on it? I feel like, at this point, I should be at 40 with the amount of time I've put in, but I'm still in the mid 20s. I think even internet hugs might help. Haha. Has anybody else done a 4 week intense route with an okay foundation and felt satisfied with their MCAT results?

Anyway, thanks for reading this particular MCAT preparation rant if you've gotten this far. I know it all gets frustrating sometimes and appreciate your thoughts. And I wish you tons of luck on yours! :-D

2. SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you have the content down for PS and BS, the problem may be either in not being able to connect concepts or not enough practice.

Try putting all the topics for PS and all the topics for MS into two different hats. Next, pick three topics from one hat. From those three topics, talk out loud how you can connect the topics together. Then think about the types of questions you could get if the passage focused on those three topics and what that passage would look like.

For practice, well there's not much to do except tons of TIMED practice problems. If you're willing to wait another month, it may be useful to get the EK 1001 series of practice books. They should help you nail down the basics. If you want to stick to the one more month plan, then get every single practice test you can. I think there are at least 30 different practice tests out. Do a practice FL every other day or everyday if you can handle it. Then analyze the heck out of it either on your off day or same day. Find out why you are getting questions wrong and right. Remember to continue doing TIMED practice problems whenever you can.

Post up if you want more advice.