Motorcyclists in med school -

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

butiwuvu

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of you ride and plan on continuing to ride in med school? If so, what do you ride?

It's the best way for me to chill and forget about stress for a while.

Me - 2004 GSXR 750.

Members don't see this ad.

not sure if she'll make it to med school with me.....:(

05 cbr 600rr

06 Zx-14

Its great considering gas prices lately.

Might get a "Vespa" too if I end up living on campus, just to ride around, not for city streets or anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
ol' '85 Honda VT500c. Only thing that fit my $400 budget. I'm thinking of upgrading once I'm settled, however.

I'm having to break up with my 2005 Vespa ET4 and it's killing me. Baby, I'm so sorry. If anyone in the Metro DC area is looking to buy an awesome bike, PM me. I'm selling for just under blue book and it's tricked out.

ol' '85 Honda VT500c. Only thing that fit my $400 budget. I'm thinking of upgrading once I'm settled, however.

If it's got two wheels and runs, it counts. What were you thinking of getting?

I ride a 07 gsxr 600. It's a great way to get to campus. This will be my first year of road racing with CCS (Championship Cup Series) with the same bike.

NESBA #187
CCS P. Novice #187

If it's got two wheels and runs, it counts. What were you thinking of getting?

I dunno...Triumph Rocket III, perchance?

Ok, maybe not. I wouldn't mind a Ducati Monster, however. Damn sexy bikes. I think a lot would depend on the test ride - I definitely want something that's comfortable to ride for long distances, but without the extreme lameness of some 1-ton Goldwing touring bike.

Interesting choices. You might want to look at the Triumph Street Triple - beats the Monster in every category (including looks!). That might fit well with your desire for a Triumph/Ducati.

I started riding when I was about 10. I still have a KX 125 motocross bike and a vintage KZ400 street bike. I still haven't decided what I'm gonna do with the bikes when I go to school. I'm moving about 3000 miles from home and I'm not taking a moving van or trailer or anything; just driving out in my 1988 325i so there's no room for a bike.

I may sell the road bike and try to find another bike out there. I know I'll regret it though cause the bike is in great shape for its age and I've done a bit of restoration over the years.

I'm going to med school in so cal so I'd love to have a nice dual sport.

I ride a 954RR to undergrad whenever it's not raining and above 40F. The only med school I really will consider attending is on the same campus, so if accepted I guess I'll continue riding. The only question for me has been if I will have a place to change foot wear and pants since I'm pretty safety centered with heavy boots, jeans, armor jacket, gloves and helmet. I suppose I'll have to rent a locker on campus.

How many of you ride and plan on continuing to ride in med school? If so, what do you ride?

It's the best way for me to chill and forget about stress for a while.

Me - 2004 GSXR 750.

you're scared of bones and you ride a bike and are not scared of that?

you know what they call motorcycle riders in the ER? Organ donors. :laugh:

I can't lie though, they are damn sexy.

(The bones thread is because it's a Friday afternoon and I don't really want to work. It's not real. :cool:)

Members don't see this ad :)
motorcyclists in med school?

We call them standarized trauma patients.

I'm planning on taking my Ninja 250...assuming I can fit it in my uhaul!

you're scared of bones and you ride a bike and are not scared of that?

you know what they call motorcycle riders in the ER? Organ donors. :laugh:

I can't lie though, they are damn sexy.

Yeah, I loooovvve it when people call my bike a 'donorcycle'. Actually it's funny that somone started this thread, when I interviewed at UMiami my interviewer made me promise to stop riding before starting med school...
So I'm selling my 500cc Ninja. :(

Yeah, I loooovvve it when people call my bike a 'donorcycle'. Actually it's funny that somone started this thread, when I interviewed at UMiami my interviewer made me promise to stop riding before starting med school...
Interesting. I mentioned it during a few interviews, but never really got a response like that.

When I interviewed at UMiami my interviewer made me promise to stop riding before starting med school...

Was your offer of admission conditioned upon you never riding again? If not, then keep the bike. Saying you're going to stop riding to an interviewer is acceptable - you need to do what it takes to get the offer. But actually selling it to please an interviewer is kind of pussyful. :scared:

Was your offer of admission conditioned upon you never riding again? If not, then keep the bike. Saying you're going to stop riding to an interviewer is acceptable - you need to do what it takes to get the offer. But actually selling it to please an interviewer is kind of pussyful. :scared:

haha... it's not really to 'please' him... but i'm moving to miami so i knew in advance that it would kinda be suicide to keep riding, so i knew deep down that i should sell anyway. and yeah, prob the only reason my interviewer even said anything was bc i'm female... which would prob explain the 'pussyful' choice to sell. :)
oh well, i'm gonna use the money to go play in europe for a few weeks.

I really, really, really hope you aren't going to be like the 1st trauma patient I saw when volunteering in the ER who was a TRAUMA surgeon who had a motorcycle accident without a helmet.

Please don't be that doctor. Please, for all of us here. :(

What's with all these pre-meds commenting on the dangers of motorcycles as though they're battle-tested ER physicians? Life isn't worth living if you can't live a little and do the things you enjoy doing. I just got done with a research project looking at head injuries that went through a local hospital in the last 3 years. Motor-vehicle (car/truck/etc.) head injuries accounted for at least 90%. I suspect it's more like 98%. And you might expect that the remaining motorcycle injuries were more serious, but they really weren't. In fact, the most comparable groups were ATV riders without helmets and motor-vehicle occupants without seat-belts. No one is arguing that the people in this group are also referred to as "idiots." Of course after brain damage they're even worse off than when they started, but that's just how life works, eh?

There is no one riding a bike on the road that isn't already fully aware of the risks. Don't project your own fears on others, and for goodness sakes stop lecturing.

Next thread: Skydivers in medical school.
Snot-nosed premed response: "You know, we call skydivers "suicide success stories" in my hospital (where I stocked shelves and delivered flowers as a volunteer). In fact there was a case just last week where......"

PS- one of my interviewers, a pediatric orthopedic surgeon, rides a BMW cruiser.

What's with all these pre-meds commenting on the dangers of motorcycles as though they're battle-tested ER physicians? Life isn't worth living if you can't live a little and do the things you enjoy doing. I just got done with a research project looking at head injuries that went through a local hospital in the last 3 years. Motor-vehicle (car/truck/etc.) head injuries accounted for at least 90%. I suspect it's more like 98%. And you might expect that the remaining motorcycle injuries were more serious, but they really weren't. In fact, the most comparable groups were ATV riders without helmets and motor-vehicle occupants without seat-belts. No one is arguing that the people in this group are also referred to as "idiots." Of course after brain damage they're even worse off than when they started, but that's just how life works, eh?

There is no one riding a bike on the road that isn't already fully aware of the risks. Don't project your own fears on others, and for goodness sakes stop lecturing.

Next thread: Skydivers in medical school.
Snot-nosed premed response: "You know, we call skydivers "suicide success stories" in my hospital (where I stocked shelves and delivered flowers as a volunteer). In fact there was a case just last week where......"

PS- one of my interviewers, a pediatric orthopedic surgeon, rides a BMW cruiser.
The percentage of riders is much less than drivers. And, you don't have to be a rider to caution on the dangers of riding. I just gave a speech on helmet use. The statistics make me wonder why people choose not to use a helmet. I saw a friend die from a crash, he was wearing a helmet. Its a preventative measure that helps in most cases. I don't understand why more people aren't starting to use them.

Popular at my school because parking is like the seven circles of hell. I've been tempted at times to learn and buy, but I'd probably give my mother an anyeurism, and she deserves a break in her old age. Plus the whole not having the time or money thing.

A classmate of mine have an absolutely gorgeous Ducati though...

The percentage of riders is much less than drivers. And, you don't have to be a rider to caution on the dangers of riding. I just gave a speech on helmet use. The statistics make me wonder why people choose not to use a helmet. I saw a friend die from a crash, he was wearing a helmet. Its a preventative measure that helps in most cases. I don't understand why more people aren't starting to use them.
It wasn't directed at anyone specific......but have you even posted on this thread before? I don't see it if you did. Uh oh, not using two accounts are you....?

Yes, it's true that the percentage of riders to vehicle occupants is much much lower and thus head injury rates would be much much lower as well just to stay in-line. However, if riding a motorcycle was the bloodbath everyone seems to think it is, this should be reflected in some data somewhere...and it just isn't (among helmet-wearing, unintoxicated riders).

It wasn't directed at anyone specific......but have you even posted on this thread before? I don't see it if you did. Uh oh, not using two accounts are you....?

Yes, it's true that the percentage of riders to vehicle occupants is much much lower and thus head injury rates would be much much lower as well just to stay in-line. However, if riding a motorcycle was the bloodbath everyone seems to think it is, this should be reflected in some data somewhere...and it just isn't (among helmet-wearing, unintoxicated riders).
No I haven't posted on this specific thread before. There is an inherited risk with any form of transportation all the way from rollerblades to motorcycles. However, I can see where people are coming from when they call riding dangerous, etc. Riding a motorcycle puts you at a higher risk of injury than driving a car or walking, for example. There are fundamentalists on both sides saying riding is the worse thing you can do or riding is the best thing you can do. Ultimately, its one's choice, but I can see where many people, even if they don't have experience, are coming from when they say riding can be or is dangerous.

So basically you're saying that you recognize all sides and take none, but for the moment, you understand the concerns of the "riding is dangerous" camp... In all fairness I am no different, only I disagree that one should preach the dangers of riding to those who have clearly already considered and accepted them (again, I'm not talking about you).

Riding is no more "dangerous" on the grounds of getting into accidents than cars (excluding for a second very low rider skill, unfavorable weather conditions, etc.). However, I think we can agree it IS more dangerous than being in a car once an accident scenario has begun (no metal cage, less protection). However, pedestrians are FAR more likely to be seriously injured under these circumstances than a helmet-wearing, aware motorcyclist. So assuming an accident is occurring- I would ague that walking IS more dangerous than riding, as are bicycling, flying(!), taking a train, etc. I really think that's a fair analysis. Certain exclusions have to made- for instance recklessness. Some motorcyclists are reckless, but so are some drivers, some pedestrians, and some pilots. Some riders are unskilled, but some pedestrians don't pay attention to traffic, or walk because they're drunk- "unskilled pedestrians." Some motorcyclists have a tendency to speed, but what do you a call a man on a 20lb. piece of aluminum with a foam, non-full face helmet cruising along at 30 MPH? (referring to a road cyclist, in case you don't get the picture). I do that too, and let me tell you, that feels truly dangerous >).

That's really a devil's-advocate analysis...I personally do feel an extra element of danger when riding, but again, we all know and accept these risks. The real purpose of my post was to call out pre-meds acting like seasoned, paternalistic doctors.