Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!
  1. halogen

halogen Junior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Anyone have exerperience with using this sleek smartphone? I can't see myself with a treo (too bulky) and am looking for a smartphone to run Epocrates and medconsult. Thanks

Hal

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bigman43

bigman43 Banned
    Banned

Pre-Medical
    worst phone EVER. bought it and returned it next day. kept crashing, kept driving me nuts.

getting a 700w treo this week!

4. 16846

16846 Guest

The first model of Q was known for a few serious flaws that some found intolerable.

There is a follow-up to the first Q with a new model, I don't remember what it is, but it runs Windows Mobile 6.0 while it's predecessor runs Windows Mobile 5.0, this is the easiest way to tell them apart.

5. Tusk

Tusk Back in the Game!

Attending Physician
    I used a Treo 700wx for a few weeks but it was way to bulky for me. It also felt like most of the functions required the touchscreen, so I was always having to pull the stylus out.

I returned it and got the Q. Love it. It's sleek enough to fit in my pocket without a case. Also, since it's a smartphone, everything is easily controlled from the keypad without a touchscreen. Works perfectly.

For me it was definitely the best choice. You should try both of them out and see what works best for you.

6. cgcrz8

Medical Student
    I have the sprint motorola q. It is pretty sweet. Has epocrates and works great. Epocrates can update wirelessly which is amazing. Has all the PDA fxns of WM5 without having a phone and PDA on your body. I thought the letter transcriber was over rated anyways (would never recognize my writing and take forever. Also, lightweight and small in my lab coat.

7. amatomation

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey Tusk - I have a Moto Q also. The only medical program I have been able to put on it is epocrates. Did you find this also? Because of this I am now agonizing over purchasing a heftier PDA phone despite being only a year into my Verizon contract. Was hoping I could get a WiFi phone, but the only thing they've got going now is the XV6700, which I've read does not have the best reception and clarity as a phone.

Anyone have comments here on the Q or the XV6700?

8. Pontifex Maximus

Pontifex Maximus Rads-a-palooza
    Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm taking my Q back. The sleekness is nice, but size wise it actually isn't any smaller then the Treos, except for the thickness. A bit lighter too. The keyboard is really small, and the big problem is the non-stylus navigation is torture when browsing online or especially using Epocrates. Epocrates was DEFINITELY not designed for non-stylus smartphones. Also, the Q lags a lot. I'm going with the new Spring 6800/Mogul.

9. acrunchyfrog

acrunchyfrog In memory of Riley

Medical Student
    Recently got a Black Q and it's working fine. pretty darn stable considering I do registry hacks and change settings, along with adding 3rd party apps. Lots of other people have had issues, but I'm not one of them. Either it's luck, or I got one of the later releases of the WM5 OS.

10. SquidDoc

SquidDoc Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am on my second treo 700w. The first one kept locking up on me during operations like pulling up epocrates or checking my email. I just got a replacement under warranty, and it is doing the same thing!!! This is so irritating. I just want something to work fast and consistantly. I am thinking about getting the Q, but I would imagine epocrates would be more difficult to manage.

For those with the Q, how long does it take to pull up epocrates? From the time I tap the epocrates icon to the time where I can actually enter the drug name, it takes 9-10 seconds on the treo. This is just far too long. Grrr...

11. amatomation

Resident [Any Field]
    With the Q, it takes probably the same amount of time to load epocrates and get to a search screen as what you are reporting. I think the 700w probably has better processor speed overall. I don't really consider this to be too much time though. If speed is what you are looking for, you may want to look into the pocket pc style phones, or switch to a straight up PDA without the phone (these are much faster). I've also heard that the palm OS treos are actually more robust than the windows versions - less crashes, etc. Although you can't do certain things that would be second nature on a windows mobile platform (ie no windows media player, office, etc.)

12. nvkamdar

Medical Student
    Hi. I'm wondering if there is a way to download and install epocrates without using the wireless internet on the Motorola Q. I currently do not subscribe to my cell phone internet service, and I'm having trouble installing the software without using the wireless connection.

So a couple of questions:
    1. Has anybody been able to download and install epocrates directly through your computer internet connection (like the Palm OS as well as the PocketPC)?
    2. Will I need the wireless feature in order to synch and update epocrates? Or does epocrates for Windows Mobile 5.0 have a synching feature through the computer?

I am getting so frustrated with the installation of this software that I'm considering getting a basic palm (non cell-phone) just to use the medical software. But I would like to avoid spending extra money for another PDA if necessary.

Thanks,
    Nirav