Mount Misery by Samuel Shem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monkeyguts

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have any psych residents on this board read this book? Does it match up with your experience as a first year psych resident? I am finding it very good reading and was just wondering if it was realistic or not. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 4th year medical student, not a resident, and I read the book......not nearly as good as House of God, but I liked it. I hope it isn't realistic, though.....of course, I am sure there are some programs that are like that.

I know this is an old thread, but having found it and just finished the book, I was wondering the same.

Things seemed a lot better where I did my psychiatry rotation, and I know that the book is largely caricature-driven, but I can't help but wonder.

Members don't see this ad :)
I read it as an MS3, and it was absolutely unlike my residency experience--except for the parts about the repeat admissions on the inpatient unit. I think it really represents an era long past in the delivery of psychiatric services.

Thank God for that. It didn't seem like anything I had heard about here, so it is a relief to hear that it isn't entirely like that elsewhere, either. Thanks. :)