Mount Sinai a prestigious school??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vinsanity

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got back from an interview at Sinai yesterday. The school is awesome, I think that if I'm in this will be it. I know that Sinai is a well respected school but is it considered a prestigious school?? Not that it will change my decision in attending but just wanted to know.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe so.

This school is my dream school, definitely go if accepted! Good luck to you

Yeah, I'm definitely going to Mt Sinai too if accepted. Great school AND location - What more can you ask?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure you know they're rated #23 in Research. That sounds pretty prestigious to me! I think they're considered kind of up-and-coming. I was thrilled to get an invite yesterday. :D And they were really nice about letting me re-schedule to coordinate with another NY trip I have coming up (got to move my date up by 3 weeks!). I'd love to know what you, and anyone else who's interviewed there, found awesome (or not so awesome) about the school. And what was the interview like?

If you're worried about the interview, dont be. They are really nice and laid back. They try to make you be in the most comfortable state. The school overall is pretty incredible you'll see it when you interview.

Absolutely. You can't go wrong with MSSM. --Trek

from what i gather, sinai is great in everything, except for residency placement. the truth is that while it offers an amazing education and experience, it still is regarded as a relatively young medical school, and it shows in the way that the curriculum is revised every year. their reputation score in usnews is pretty low in comparison to the other schools ranked near it. i think it's a trade-off:
you get a wonderfully happy and exciting 4 years, where all students absolutely love their school and get to live in beautiful dorms, work in a beautiful hospital, stay in the most beautiful part of nyc, and take everything pass/fail.
but then struggle when searching for a residency. the truth is that you can succeed at that level anywhere you go, but you are most likely to do much better if you are comfortable and happy where you are. granted, sinai students match well at sinai, itself, but not for surgery (that's what a student there told me).

i think the real cruncher will be deciding between sinai and nyu. nyu was nastier, crustier, older, and the students weren't nearly as happy, but they get better clinical experience and their residency placement is, overall, better.

tough call.

but i really loved sinai when i visited.
PLUS THEY HAD A BASKET OF ROLOS AT THE CASHIER AT THE CAFETERIA!!!

There are many past SDN posts on Sinai vs NYU and it is a matter of personal preference as they are close in many official aspects. i personally felt better there, loved the housing, the atmopshere and the students and their attitudes and would have picked it over NYU