Mount Sinai Flexmed Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bsherry4679

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in applying to the flexmed program next year, but I have a few concerns so I was hoping that there would be some people that are more familiar with the program that could answer a couple questions.

1. Do they care more about college grades or high school grades/test scores? I didn't do that well in high school (3.5 gpa and 27 act) because I moved a lot, attended six different schools in four years, and I had a brain injury in eighth grade which caused some difficulties for a few years. So far in college I have three courses that transferred and had A's in those and I'm expecting to get a 4.0 this semester and hopefully the same the next two. Would doing really well in college make them overlook my high school grades?

2. Do they care about the ranking of your college? I go to a small private school in Missouri that isn't well-known at all and doesn't really have a big pre med program, so would that put me at a disadvantage compared to people from top-tier and well known schools?

Members don't see this ad.

1. I think they weigh your college grades more than your HS grades but obviously the better in both the better you're application will be. Nothing you can do about it now other than to apply now and see what happens.

2. Yes. When I interviewed a few years ago, out of a cohort of about 11 interviewees, all but one went to either an ivy league, large research institution, or well ranked LAC (think Oberlin or above). From my talks with other people who have the information of all the people who were accepted into the program, I think the school list heavily favors those groups but there are people from smaller/lesser known schools. Nothing you can do about it other than apply though.

As far as hs grades go, I'm pretty sure they weigh the SAT/ACT pretty heavily since you wouldn't have to take the MCAT. If I recall correctly from researching it a few years back, the standardized test average was very high.