Mount Sinai Humanities and Medicine 07-08

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s46

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is the main thread for those who are applying to the Mount Sinai Humanities and Medicine Early Acceptance Program

Members don't see this ad.

I am!

I probably won't be getting in though. My GPA will probably be too low, especially compared to other applicants from my school.

Does anyone know how much importance they place on SAT scores and extracurricular activities in college?

I am applying too! I really would love to get in (as I'm sure everyone would haha). What are your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
What school is everyone from?
Cornell here.

I wonder what it takes to get into that program...I applied in my sophomore year at Penn (admittedly just to get into med school early...perhaps that reflected somehow) with 3.9 GPA and 1550 SATs and, from what I was told, great LORs and essays. Nevertheless, I was soundly rejected...though I did get an e-mail from the lady in charge--can't remember her name--giving me information on research opportunities at Sinai for later on...and now I'm applying to the MSTP there :).

I guess, if anything, I must advise that you really craft a great "story" for why. I think, in the end, it's pretty easy for them to see through the people--like me--who are good at writing essays, but lack the requisite passion behind them for why they would be an ideal fit for this particular program. So, be as specific as possible in detailing your plans for your "free" years of college!

Now that the applications are due within a week, and we could have sent the applications to be reviewed last Monday, is anyone who's applying to the program been verified as complete yet?

I received verification on October 4th.

Sweet! I received verification on October 5th. Good luck to everyone with getting an interview... I know that I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Hey chidoc27 and 2289nb,

How long did it take you to get your verification of application status after you sent in your application? It's been like a week and a half or so since I sent mine in and I haven't gotten a verification yet.

Thanks!

i applied...hope my app will arrive in time! what is the average number of days until they inform you that your app is complete?? I faxed, email, and snail mailed some parts.

is mount sinai humanities & medicine the only sort of " early admission, for humanities kids" program out there?

good luck to everyone! we find out so soon....and yet so not.

My receipt of verification took about two days: I mailed out my application the evening of the 1st, they received it on the 2nd (I go to school in the city), and on the 4th I received verification. My packet had all the information in there though (letters, application, check, essays, scores, transcripts), so I suppose that helped the turnaround.

My packet also had everything in there-- the three letters of recommendation, h/s and college transcripts, application, ACT/SAT scores, and, of course, the obligatory check (haha)-- and I was verified three days after I sent it in. I don't think it matters too much if you haven't been verified yet since the deadline isn't even for a few more days. Interview invites will be sent out the first week in Nov apparently, so good luck to everyone until then!

Members don't see this ad :)
You are not alone...I have yet to receive my verification as well. It is comforting (in a way) to know that I am not the only one who hasn't. I bet they are just swamped with apps right now.

How exactly were you notified that they receieved everything?

It took about 4 days for them to confirm the completion of my application!
I received an email just stating that it was complete.
Good luck to everyone! Now it's the time for the oh so fun waiting game...

Does anybody know approximately how many applications MSSM receives for this program and the number of applicants that they accept? Not like it matters since we already sent the app out, so it's pretty much out of our hands, but I was just curious.

Historically between 30 and 35 students are accepted into each class. The number of applications has risen dramatically this year to well over 300 at last count.

is mount sinai humanities & medicine the only sort of " early admission, for humanities kids" program out there?

good luck to everyone! we find out so soon....and yet so not.

There are some programs that can get you into medical school early... but these tend to be through affiliations that individual colleges have with certain medical schools.

Sinai is the only institution in the country to offer "early admission" to Humanities majors for students from all colleges.

Thanks for the info Scrybe9! Over 300, wow, that's not at all intimidating haha. Well, good luck to everyone!

Has anyone sent in their application prior to the deadline and still not heard back? I don't want to annoy them about my application, but I am getting a little worried at this point. Is anyone else in a similar situation?

Also, any news about the number of applications received or anything at all is always appreciated. Good luck.

I haven't heard back yet either. I'm guessing that they must have a lot to sort through so I'm going to wait a few days before I call and bug them.

A large number of applications came in on the last day. I would give it until Friday or Monday for them to catch up.

I wonder whether this year's spike in applications will push back the timeline for moving through the application process (interviews, decisions, etc)... What do you guys think?

Not to worry, the timeline is exactly the same this year. Applications are being reviewed, interviews will take place throughout November and December and the decisions will be out before New Years.

How much science are you expected to take in college before applying to the program? Do you need to take Bio or Chem before applying? Would it hinder your chances if you did not take these courses before applying?

I know that you don't have to have taken any science classes before applying. I know someone personally who got into the program with no college science under her belt at the time of application. As far as whether it hurts your application as a whole, though, I don't have an answer.

I would like to pose the same question from the other side of the coin. Can you take "too many" science classes? Is there a certain amount that they see in a negative light?

I know that you don't have to have taken any science classes before applying. I know someone personally who got into the program with no college science under her belt at the time of application. As far as whether it hurts your application as a whole, though, I don't have an answer.

I would like to pose the same question from the other side of the coin. Can you take "too many" science classes? Is there a certain amount that they see in a negative light?

While you don't need to have taken science classes before applying, accepted students need to take a year of chemistry before the end of their junior year (so you can come and take orgo over the summer at sinai) and a year of biology before you graduate.

In terms of too much science... well, it's mostly about balance. That being said, having taken 2 semesters of orgo will definitely disqualify you. So, there is that. But you should ask yourself, if you only take science classes, why are you applying to a humanities program? More often than not the students that are accepted tend to be exceptionally well-rounded, taking courses in sciences and humanities AND doing well in both. If you took 1 non-science course before you've applied, I think you'd have a hard time convincing anyone that you were devoted to the study of the humanities. Actions tend to speak the loudest in this regard.

I was just wondering if anyone has heard back about interviews yet...

I haven't heard anything, but I was just wondering if they contact you regardless if you receive an interview at least to let you know if they are no longer considering your application. It's not even November yet though, so I would bet that not many people have heard anything.

I haven't heard anything either, and I have a feeling that it will take a little while before anyone does. I expect that they will tell you either way--emails are free and instant, after all!

I would like to say that it would be great if people who do get interviews post it here so that the rest of us know that the process is beginning. Good luck everyone!

Scrybe9--thank you so much for all that info!

Does anyone know if we will we be informed by email and/or snail mail??

Just joined this group...I am applying to the Hum. Med Program as well....It is a terrific opportunity, and I really hope that I have the ability to take advantage of it...however, I feel that I am being a bit unrealistic about my potential candidacy...does anybody know anything the interview process or when we might hear something...

Hey guys, just noticed this thread and decided to sign up.

I sent them an email asking about registration status, hoping to hear back soon.

I am studying 16 hours straight to exam-time for my bio class so getting into this program would relieve this burden (in college) since I am extremely meticulous when it comes to details...my real passion is photography and art. Science is making college not so fun!!!

I've proven to myself that I can do extremely well at anything-humanities or science, but the real problem lies with the admission committee not looking past my SAT score.

I wish everyone here best of luck!

Hey all,
I'm from Cornell and I recently applied. I'm really excited about Mount Sinai in general- I'll be reapplying until I get in if this doesn't work out. Has anyone visited yet? I went to their open house and I was really impressed with their facilities/ how happy their students seemed.
Does anyone know how many people are interviewed each year?

take care

histmajor- Did you receive an interview already? I still haven't heard any news on the interview front :(

Hey,
Yeah I heard about mine on the 9th, but I think we were all told that we would be notified by the end of november, so no reason to panic. Good luck!

So the process HAS begun.... congrats on your interview! Here comes the nervousness and excitement....

Thanks! Does anyone know what the numbers are for this program (as far as how many accepted, interviewed, waitlisted etc) because I have no idea. In any case, I'm really excited to be given this chance and I wish you all the best of luck

histmajor, when did you send in your application?

and as for previous stats, i believe there is a thread from last year's applicants on sdn... I believe the end result was around 30 people were accepted.

Hey,
My app was confirmed around Oct 19th. Don't forget there's still 17 days left...and apparently they've gotten way more apps than they have in the past ( around 280 last year, "well over 300" this year).

Hi again all. I know how nerve-racking this whole process can be, so without giving away any inappropriate information... there are approximately 50% more applications this year than last year. This has caused a lot of extra work for everyone involved and the process has slowed down... slightly. While interviews have been offered, and begin tomorrow I believe, applications are still being screened and interviews being offered through December. This is a rolling process which should be finished by the end of the month. There is an expectation to interview between 70 and 80 applicants with approximately 30 acceptances. There is a waitlist and while people do come off it, it is somewhat infrequent.

If you folks have any more questions I would be happy to try and answer them, but I won't be able to answer any specifics about your applications. Feel free to PM me if you need to.

I wish you all the best of luck!

Thanks so much for the info scrybe....do you know if we will be notified either way (interview or not)? I'm just so nervous about the whole thing!

Everyone will be notified eventually, not to worry. I know that doesn't make the waiting any easier, but just remember, things have a way of working out for the best no matter what!

So if our app was received in mid september and we haven't received an interview request, does that indicate rejection?

Im thinking so. I'm joining a frat if this doesn't work out for me :D

More fun at college. :hardy:

Any idea how many people have already been notified about an interview and how many more interviews there are still available?

Hello Scrybe9,

Will the applications from juniors will be reviewed on the same time frame as sophomores, or after their process has been completed?

Thanks!

Hello Scrybe9,

Will the applications from juniors will be reviewed on the same time frame as sophomores, or after their process has been completed?

Thanks!

Everything is on the same time frame.

Hi Everyone!

Two questions:

1. Does anyone know whether interview offers come via email/snail mail/phone?

2. Will they tell us if we dont get interviews?

Sorry if anyone has already answered these questions, I'm kind of new. Have a lot of interviews already been given out? If we havent gotten one by now does that mean that we wont?