Mount Sinai Humanities and Medicine 07-08

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
oh and histmajor, go big red.

Members don't see this ad.

1/ e-mail
2/ according to the above, yes.

Also read Scrybe9's earlier responses.

good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, although probably not as lucky as you...congrats on the interview.

So what's everyone's major/ college?

A fellow History Major here (probably focusing on S. Asia), and Pomona College. :)

Honors, Political Science, and History here. Villanova!

Oh, and Histmajor...when did you hear about your interview? Good Luck at it by the way!

Does anyone know what part of the application is looked at most heavily -- GPA? SAT Scores? Personal Statement? Extra-curriculars?

hey histmajor, another question for you that's completely and totally neurotic of me....

what time of day did you get your email?

and CALS--B+SOC philosophy and ethics concentration

All I know is that I've neither gotten an email, nor have they cashed my check. My application was confirmed on Oct. 4th, so I can only assume that my application file "accidentally" fell into some kind of recycle bin (I can only hope it was a recycle bin).

jpdc,
I heard after business hours. And don't worry, I think this makes all of us a bit neurotic. It's the uncertainty, esp regarding our futures in general. But really, if we're going to be doctors, we can't let uncertainty drive us nuts. It's actually one of the things I like about medicine- on a given day, you have very little idea of what you're going to see/ how exactly you will handle it. Am I thrilled that we have no idea how this application process will end? Def not. But I don't see how we can lose. If we don't get in, won't we just try harder next time? And won't that give us a leg up on those who have never applied before? We will know what it's like, and it'll probably be a lot less scary if we have to do it again.
Sorry to get preachy, but I think everyone who has applied to this program- everyone who cares enough to see the connection between the humanities and medicine-- will become doctors. The type of person who applies to this program has all the right reasons for wanting the MD. The program itself, with a philosophy that probably speak to all of us, is pretty amazing when you think about it in terms of what it offers undergrads/future patients. But if it doesn't work out, it won't be the end of the line for any of us.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh and I'm history / undecided humanities

jpdc,
I heard after business hours. And don't worry, I think this makes all of us a bit neurotic. It's the uncertainty, esp regarding our futures in general. But really, if we're going to be doctors, we can't let uncertainty drive us nuts. It's actually one of the things I like about medicine- on a given day, you have very little idea of what you're going to see/ how exactly you will handle it. Am I thrilled that we have no idea how this application process will end? Def not. But I don't see how we can lose. If we don't get in, won't we just try harder next time? And won't that give us a leg up on those who have never applied before? We will know what it's like, and it'll probably be a lot less scary if we have to do it again.
Sorry to get preachy, but I think everyone who has applied to this program- everyone who cares enough to see the connection between the humanities and medicine-- will become doctors. The type of person who applies to this program has all the right reasons for wanting the MD. The program itself, with a philosophy that probably speak to all of us, is pretty amazing when you think about it in terms of what it offers undergrads/future patients. But if it doesn't work out, it won't be the end of the line for any of us.

The only difference between us being that you have something certain to look forward to...an interview. :p

my sentiments almost exactly.

right, i didn't mean to invite any comparisons, just wanted to say that I think we're all qualified and it will ultimately work out
So is everyone from the northeast here? Anyone from elsewhere? and jpdc, you enjoying the weather up here??

It's all about the SoCal here...Nearly 80-degree weather in the middle of November? Yeah, we've got that. :)

Of course, we've got it right alongside some of the worst smog in the country.... Hooray for global warming?

too much snow....

not too much...just too sideways. what global warming?

so in total so far....only 1 person has heard about an interview?

is this the 6 year undergrad/med school program?

it seems that way...i think that might be a good thing

Must be global cooling and mars confusing the admission committee...or maybe they are only interviewing 5 people this year :p

maybe (hopefully) there will be a mass mailing of interviews near the end of november????!!!!

That would be lovely, wouldn't it.

Hey guys/gals, what are my chances with a 1210/1600 sat score and a 4.0 (one school) + 3.74 (another school) GPA?

Slim or doable?

your grades are better than mine hahahaha

Okay, so I think there a lot of lurkers here who do not want to register. I was one of them until now. Here's my info:

I am an Ohio State University student (Portuguese major), and I got an interview invite on 11/2. I recently got back from the interview. There will be a group of about 10 other interviewees, and in my group at least, everyone else was wealthy, from the East Coast, and attending a big-name school. That was a little disconcerting to me, but I'm hoping that my OSU background will add a little diversity to the class.

I decided to register to try to spark the conversation on this thread! I am so nervous about the results I could burst, but at least the interview is over because that made me even more anxious. Now there's nothing to do but wait.

One of the med students who came to talk to us said "Don't worry if you get rejected - med school is boring and no fun anyway." So, for those who did not get an interview, take it to heart! I am not sure if everyone intends on applying for regular admission if they do not get into the MSSM HuMed program, but I probably won't.

Okay, so I think there a lot of lurkers here who do not want to register. I was one of them until now. Here's my info:

I am an Ohio State University student (Portuguese major), and I got an interview invite on 11/2. I recently got back from the interview. There will be a group of about 10 other interviewees, and in my group at least, everyone else was wealthy, from the East Coast, and attending a big-name school. That was a little disconcerting to me, but I'm hoping that my OSU background will add a little diversity to the class.

I decided to register to try to spark the conversation on this thread! I am so nervous about the results I could burst, but at least the interview is over because that made me even more anxious. Now there's nothing to do but wait.

One of the med students who came to talk to us said "Don't worry if you get rejected - med school is boring and no fun anyway." So, for those who did not get an interview, take it to heart! I am not sure if everyone intends on applying for regular admission if they do not get into the MSSM HuMed program, but I probably won't.

When was your interview date? If ~90 people are given interviews, 2 groups a week=20 people a week called starting at November then I would expect the last group to be notified by the 23'rd.

Does Scrybe or anyone know how many more interviews have still not been given out?

Velaen--

That is disconcerting to me as well, since I do not fall into any of those categories. But take solace in the fact that you were interviewed so early in the process. I have heard that this is a good general indication of how they see you. There is nothing more you can do, so just sit back and worry. :) I have yet to get an interview, so I am still waiting to be done with that part of the process... Congrats and good luck!

same here...it is very disconcerting

oh well shoot for harvard. hahaha

My advice to those of you who are state-schoolers is to present it as an asset. I mean, most of your patients aren't going to be wealthy and educated, right? (Unless you are a plastic surgeon to the stars, but then, still might not be educated) So you need to know how to deal with the kinds of people who don't go to Ivy League schools. I mean, there are plenty of very intelligent people at OSU, but they're not ultimately focused on prestige and status, and most of your future patients are going to care more about your attitude toward them than the name on your diploma. Of course, big-name schools are great too, so long as you don't act superior about it. It helped that the other interviewees were trying to be nice to me and interested in "what you do in Ohio." Farm corn, of course. : )

My group had lots of time to talk, since one of the interviewers was an hour and a half late. My extracurriculars are not very consistent (mostly short-term) but diverse and unique. The other people who mentioned their activities (I asked to spark conversation) said things like : R.A., campus tour guide, member of judicial board, etc. No research.

I'm extra neurotic, too, so I'd be happy to give as much information as I learned. Good luck to everyone who hasn't heard yet! They'll inform you either way, so if you haven't heard, it means you're still in the running. They interview about 80, and as the SDN forums have clearly shown us, only 3 interviews have been offered! :rolleyes:

Hi again everyone!

So it appears that it's time to reiterate... just to put everyone a little more at ease.

Despite any scheme you want to work out for how the interviews are going to be given out, you're probably just plain old wrong. An early interview does not mean a better chance of getting in. An early interview means that your application was randomly screened earlier and it qualified for an interview.

The screening of applications is just finishing up. There are still plenty of dates available for which no invitations have been sent out. You can expect that the decisions, interview or not, will be coming out after Thanksgiving and maybe even into December. All of the applications have to be screened before the interview spots can be fairly distributed. Get it?

In terms of the types of students getting interviews, there is no favoritism toward schools, class, or socio-economic status. If one interview group tended to be homogeneous it was most likely random. Sinai tends to be one of the more diverse ethno-culturo-socio-economic-etc institutions. Academics, community service, leadership are the determinants of who stands the best chance. I would mention that many students that getting interviewed (and accepted) come from disadvantaged backgrounds, though this is certainly not part of the decision making process.

Please remember, it is the strength of the individual, not the school that they go to that matters.

I would encourage each of you, whether or not you get into this program, to follow your passions. If it is in the humanities, follow that path and see where it leads. If your passion is also in medicine, then you will find your way there. In this day and age many paths to medicine are not straight... I wish you luck in finding your own.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific concerns and I'll check in on this forum from time to time.

Well, let that be a lesson to anyone else who was going to mention what school they attend! Being the only OSU person to interview that day, I am now easily identifiable and my comments will be repeated back to the admissions board. I know school doesn't *technically* matter, but from what I've heard, more people from big-name schools are applying to the HuMed program, whether or not it makes a difference in admissions.

My mistake for posting such specific information. I will just sit back and wait for the decision - hopefully my foolishness here does not affect my admission!

Well, let that be a lesson to anyone else who was going to mention what school they attend! Being the only OSU person to interview that day, I am now easily identifiable and my comments will be repeated back to the admissions board. I know school doesn't *technically* matter, but from what I've heard, more people from big-name schools are applying to the HuMed program, whether or not it makes a difference in admissions.

My mistake for posting such specific information. I will just sit back and wait for the decision - hopefully my foolishness here does not affect my admission!

Please note, anything that may be mentioned on this board has ZERO impact on the admissions committee. ZERO, NIL, NADA.

The only reason I have posted here is to allay some of the fears and worries associated with the admissions process and to reduce the number of emails and phone calls the school has to field every day. I'm just a lowly medical student that went through the whole process a long time ago, on my own, and with a whole lot of anxiety. I hope that you will not censor yourself on my behalf!

Thanks a ton for the info scrybe! I know that I was getting pretty concerned about the lack of news on the interview front, but it's good to know that there are still spots available. Good luck to everyone, and we should all stop worrying and have a fun Thanksgiving!

well i had the interview!
now the waiting until december begins...

Hi again everyone!

So it appears that it's time to reiterate... just to put everyone a little more at ease.

Despite any scheme you want to work out for how the interviews are going to be given out, you're probably just plain old wrong. An early interview does not mean a better chance of getting in. An early interview means that your application was randomly screened earlier and it qualified for an interview.

The screening of applications is just finishing up. There are still plenty of dates available for which no invitations have been sent out. You can expect that the decisions, interview or not, will be coming out after Thanksgiving and maybe even into December. All of the applications have to be screened before the interview spots can be fairly distributed. Get it?

In terms of the types of students getting interviews, there is no favoritism toward schools, class, or socio-economic status. If one interview group tended to be homogeneous it was most likely random. Sinai tends to be one of the more diverse ethno-culturo-socio-economic-etc institutions. Academics, community service, leadership are the determinants of who stands the best chance. I would mention that many students that getting interviewed (and accepted) come from disadvantaged backgrounds, though this is certainly not part of the decision making process.

Please remember, it is the strength of the individual, not the school that they go to that matters.

I would encourage each of you, whether or not you get into this program, to follow your passions. If it is in the humanities, follow that path and see where it leads. If your passion is also in medicine, then you will find your way there. In this day and age many paths to medicine are not straight... I wish you luck in finding your own.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific concerns and I'll check in with the board from time to time.

Well then the simple question remains:

How many interivew spots have yet to be given out?

There seems to be a facade related to this question when seeking a response, especially considering the fact that "plenty of dates" is a highly subjective statement, followed by the ever present reassurances of "follow your dreams"

Let's not forget that Scrybe doesn't have to be here at all. Obviously he/she can't give out info that is too specific... Scrybe has been nice enough to come onto this page out of sheer goodwill to help us remain calm through the process. I can say that Scrybe, you have definitely helped me keep my head. I think that goes the same for plenty of others. So--thanks!

I fully appreciate what scrybe is doing...thank you scrybe for alleviating some concerns.

I'm just implying that vague answers concerning dates will only lead to more questions.

Scrybe is definitely helping to alleviate a lot of neurotic stress. Thank you! It's just that the "I'll check back with the admissions committee" made me assume that s/he has something to do with the admissions committee, and thus may repeat anything relevant from this forum. Dr. Rifkin actually mentioned SDN before the interviews, and was commenting about the frenzy that happens in this forum. Everyone else was looking around at each other quizzically ("What is this S-D-N?"), so I guess a lot of the interviewees are not here. Which probably means that more than 3 people have been invited.
Still, I'm pretty sure they'll inform you either way, so if you're still in the dark, I'd think it means you're still in the running!

Have a good Thanksgiving, everyone! I was panicking about the admissions process in every spare moment my brain had, so I decided to start reading. Not anything heavy or doctor-y, but something to keep my mind occupied so it stops worrying. I'd suggest it; I forgot how much I like to read for fun!

Happy thanksgiving everybody.

Enjoy that turkey. Load up on that tryptophan and go sleepy! (Possibly indirectly due to your carb intake but no need to get technical :p )

I was wondering if those who have had interviews could describe their experience.

I've heard absolutely nothing...guess that is the same as a rejection letter?

yth...do u have an interview? if so, when did you hear about it?

I have sent the program director an email.

With permission, I will post the contents when I receive it on here, hopefully it will alleviate some anxiety/at least clarify this stressful process :thumbup:

Have the majority of the interviews already been given out? Or, is there just a delay because the committee has been inundated with applications? If anybody knows I would love to hear.