Mount Sinai, NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRacula

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone fill me in on Mt. Sinai in NY.
Whether they are D.O. friendly and whether they accept COMLEX in place of USMLE? According to scutwork.com the salary there is 10,000 bucks less than any other NY hospital and there is a high load of scut work... is this still true?
do most people that do residency there live in NY or commute in from brooklyn/queens/jersey? ... and anything else anyone can add :oops: i supremely appreciate all the help i can get!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Whether they are D.O. friendly and whether they accept COMLEX in place of USMLE? According to scutwork.com the salary there is 10,000 bucks less than any other NY hospital and there is a high load of scut work... is this still true?
do most people that do residency there live in NY or commute in from brooklyn/queens/jersey? ... and anything else anyone can add :oops: i supremely appreciate all the help i can get!!!
I cannot say directly about DOs matching here however the main Mt Sinai program is considered among the more prestigious University IM programs in NYC and is highly competitve for matching among allopathic applicants.Mt Sinai affiliates Elmhurst,Cabrini have many IMGs and are not competitive.

did you try a forum search? except for your D.O. question this has been discussed at length before.

Not sure about the D.O. situation, however it is, in my book, a great program. I doubt that there is a lot of scut work, but then that's probably all relative. Sinai is a very large private hospital so the nursing and ancillary staff is most likely rather strong which means less scut.

Most people, at least in their intern year, probably live in Manhattan. Sinai does offer housing in the Upper East Side that is, from what I have seen, very affordable and sizable. This might makes up for any salary discrepancy, but I'm not sure. As for living in other areas, I'd guess if you lived close to the 4, 5, or 6 it's going to be the most convenient.

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep - I appreciate the help. I did try searching the topic but no one has commented on the DO situation and COMLEX scores. :confused: Hopefully someone else may know more about it.

Yep - I appreciate the help. I did try searching the topic but no one has commented on the DO situation and COMLEX scores. :confused: Hopefully someone else may know more about it.

Mind you, my data is a few (4) years old, but, when I was prelim IM at Elmhurst, I did not see one DO anywhere at Mt. Sinai or affiliates, attending or house staff. Contrast this to Duke, where, although not welcome (whether they say it or not, it's true), there are DOs on faculty in EM, Neurology, and Peds Cards. Residency, though, no.

Hello to the OP.

I looked this up for you. Try this thread - it is the osteopathic school match lists: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=175626

You will have to "sift" through the info (the thread is 6 pgs long!), but I did see a couple of Mt Sinai hospitals and affiliates for IM.

good luck with the process. :)

Hey,

I rotated at Sinai and met the PD as a 4th yr. They absolutely do NOT take DO's. The PD told me directly that he doesnt mind DOs but that the "board" would never approve another DO after several "bad experiences." I also had a very well known faculty member write me a LOR and talk to the PD on my behalf.

No shot on COMLEX either, take the USMLE and you will be doing yourself a favor!

PM me with any specific ?s

Chris

As a DO doing an audition rotation last year, I didn't find the place too welcoming. It's a beautiful hospital with brilliant docs, but the program seems to like to keep things in the family. On the standard team of PG2, two PG1's and two med students I was the only non-Sinai person. The reception was a little chillier than I'd have expected or liked.

As for scut, no telling what it's like on average but my month consisted mainly of performing ridiculous little tasks of little value. I was surrounded by absolutely fantastic pathology and had absolutely no role (as a fourth-year student going into IM) in managing it on any meaningful level. Yet if on morning rounds I dared report that a patient had been afebrile overnight instead of giving an exact temperature range, I was glared back to the room to do better.

It seems like a nice place and I know some very happy students there. I think as a DO however you will be fighting an unpleasant and very steeply uphill battle.

Thanks everyone. This was super helpful!