Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Mount Sinai or Einstein

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by nap, May 11, 2002.

1. nap

nap Member
    7+ Year Member

What do you guys think? What are the strengths and weaknesses of one over the other? Thanks a lot!

2. Doctora Foxy

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I volunteered at Sinai..it's right in the middle of the city and the people are nice....I would choose it over Einstein just based on location. :) I have never been to Einstein though...

Somewhere around here is a thread (by yunfat?) about the Einstein second look weekend which has a lot of positives.

3. nap

nap Member
    7+ Year Member

Well, I definately prefer the location, but Einstein is much more financially stable--they have lots of money, while Sinai is hurting. Also, Einstein gets more NIH money, in fact they receive a lot compared to many top schools and i believe that may indicate that their research is stronger. I just wonder if academically Einstein might be a stronger school.

4. yunfat

yunfat Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hey nap,
    i bumped up the "My 2nd look wknd (Einstein)" thread for you...

First of all, I should say that Mt. Sinai is an awesome school... yes, they are having financial problems, but I think they are putting it under control... i'd also like to reiterate that it has a great location and that Mt. Sinai Hospital also has a great national reputation (especially for Geriatrics and chronic conditions). Thus, I think clinically, it has a stronger rep than Einstein. Although it has less NIH funding than Einstein, it still has a very strong academic reputation. Most of their research is focused on clinical studies, though... not as much basic/lab and population-based as Einstein.

Having said that, I do think Einstein is one of the strongest research oriented med schools in NY. A couple points I can think of regarding research:

- It is the only NY institution selected to participate in the Human Genome Project
    - They are currently building the new $100 million Price Research Center for Genetic and Translational Medicine
    - They just opened the newly built Gruss Magnetic Resonance Research Center a month ago, which has the most advanced imaging technology to study in vivo physiology and pathophys... also to be used in mapping the human brain, mice, and whatever else they want to stick in there.
    - one of the largest MD/PhD programs (68) in the country
    - has six NIH Research "centers of excellence"
    - they have a department of Epidemiology and Social Medicine (population-based research)

To be honest, I'd choose Mt. Sinai over Einstein because of its clinical reputation and location. However, if you're heavy on research (or are interested in urban medicine), then that's a different story...

Having said that I love Mt. Sinai's location (next to central park!), I should mention that the Bronx is NOT bad at all (if you have a car) and actually has quite a few advantages (excellent housing at dirt-cheap prices, beaches, trees... basically, you're close to the city - 30min by car - but not stuck there 24/7... and most importantly, you get an excellent clinical training experience because of the diverse patient population and underserved communities - which i heard can be lacking at Sinai)... just read the thread I bumped if you want more on the location...

hope this was somewhat helpful...
    feel free to post more questions or PM me...

sorry for the rambling... it's late and i'm tired...zzz

5. nap

nap Member
    7+ Year Member

Thank you so much yunfat. That was really helpful.

6. Dr. Kermit

Dr. Kermit Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Nap-

I have to admit that I love Einstein :) So, I will try to be as objective as possible in my advice to you.

I agree with many of the comments that the above posters have offered you. Sinai does have a better location and possibly national reputation. However, the Dean of Sinai just left to go to UPenn and they lost a lot of money from their proposed merger with NYU. (Didn't NYU drop out of the merger though?) I think they are raising their tuition this year too, but you'll have to check on that.

However, I can't say that their clinical training surpasses Einstein's. Many of Einstein's students have hands-on training starting their third year as there is a two year mentorship that is integrated with the school's basic science years. Einstein also has a wider network of hospitals in which you rotate (Montefiore, Jacobi (public hospital), Beth Israel, etc.) From what I have heard, Sinai's clinical training is inferior to Columbia's and NYU's, but Einstein's ranks right up there with those programs. I don't know what Sinai's 2002 matchlist was like, but Einstein had an awesome one that is on their website.

I did like Sinai's location much better than Einstein's. However, I could see myself being too tempted to play instead of study :) (Although, I don't mind being in the Bronx because I will have a car and my boyfriend's parents live 10 minutes away in Westchester County. I actually didn't want to be in Manhattan 24/7 since it would be so expensive.) However, the housing at Einstein is so much better and cheaper. Where else can you get a 2-3 bedroom for $600-750/month?!? Also, you will most likely be moved into a single by your third year. I think Sinai's housing was nice, but a little more cramped. Don't you have to share with 3-4 other people?

Alright, I have to go to brunch now, but if you have any more questions or I think or anything else, please feel free to PM or post again :)

7. TommyGunn04

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Like others have said, Sinai's location is far superior. Their housing is amazing too, although not nearly as cheap as Einstein's. I also liked the Sinai curriculum much better than Einstein's, and the Sinai facilities are much newer and a great deal nicer. For me, Sinai would be the clear choice.

8. Legend

Legend Super Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you have a strong inclination towards research, you should consider going to Einstein.

9. nap

nap Member
    7+ Year Member

Tommy,

What did you like better about sinai's curriculum?

10. darkmatter

darkmatter Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have volunteered at a Mt. Sinai affiliated hospital, and I would definitely recommend Mt. Sinai if you're looking for excellent clinical training and facilities. Mt. Sinai Hospital is also renowned and I believe Mt. Sinai edges AECOM in terms of research.

11. yunfat

yunfat Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by darkmatter:
    <strong>I have volunteered at a Mt. Sinai affiliated hospital, and I would definitely recommend Mt. Sinai if you're looking for excellent clinical training and facilities. Mt. Sinai Hospital is also renowned and I believe Mt. Sinai edges AECOM in terms of research.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Darkmatter, could you explain why you think that? as i mentioned on the previous post, i do think that Mt. Sinai hospital has a better reputation than Montefiore or Beth Israel (Einstein's main hospitals), but better REPUTATION does not mean better clinical TRAINING for med students. for residency, i would choose Mt. Sinai hospital over the other two any day... but as a med student, that is a completely different story... As Dr. Kermit explained, Einstein's extensive clinical affiliates allow for an EXTREMELY diverse and complete clinical experience... Einstein med students also have the opportunity to interact with very underpriviledged patients at Jacobi and the student-run free clinic... most importantly, you are given more responsibilities, which means less scut work... ultimately, I really think Einstein's clinical training is one of the best in NY..

as for research, i am definitely still going with Einstein...

12. Dr. Kermit

Dr. Kermit Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Also, Sinai is in deep s#*t from an incident a couple months ago. They let a first year surgery resident oversee a transplant surgery that went awry and were sued for malpractice. I think the incident has since been resolved and it probably happens at many hospitals, but it was severe enough to warrant LCME investigation.

Yunfat, Montefiore and Jacobi are the two major AE hospitals. Long Island, Beth Israel, and their psych and geriatric hospitals are just affiliates :) As my interviewer told me, AE students do extremely well in matching b/c NYC programs know that the school trains well. They tend to do better than NYU and Sinai grads, but not Cornell and Columbia grads for the obvious top-10 reason.

13. yunfat

yunfat Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks, DK. :) wow, you're up early
    (btw, did you sign up for the biochem course? i did it just cuz it's free and you get to move in early)

14. Droopy

Droopy Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    yunfat,
    i sent you a pm.
    Droopy

15. CityIvy

CityIvy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

hey nap: so where have you decided to go?

16. Dr. Kermit

Dr. Kermit Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Working girl is always up early. No, I didn't sign up for the Biochem course, I was under the impression it was only for URMs. (That was what I was told by the admissions office.) I'm going to be up in Boston for a wedding, so it would have been a bad day to go back to class anyway!

17. yunfat

yunfat Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hey droopy, i PMed you back.

just so ppl know, the prep course is for everyone who is interested... for some ppl, they will send you an extra "invitation" to take it... for the rest of us, we just have to tell them we want to! since housing is free, i think it's a good deal... cuz i want to have some time to chill in NY before school starts... plus, the course is purely review... so it should be really laid back...

if i find it to be a waste of time, i'll just withdraw from the course, and pay for the 2 weeks' rent... which is so cheap anyway :p

18. Dr. Kermit

Dr. Kermit Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Very tempting to take a refresher course in Biochem, but Yunfat, didn't you have enough of it the first time with Shroer and Bessman? Ugh...

19. bruno 00

bruno 00 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

i'd definitely choose sinai. einstein's a very good school (my dad went there) but it isn't as strong a program as sinai's. and even though einstein has little bit more nih research money than sinai, einstein has a 75% larger class, so that per student sinai has much more research dollars (which, in the end, is what really coounts). plus sinai's sinai's hospital has a much stronger faculty, and students get plenty of hands on opportunites working with patients from bordering harlem.

20. darkmatter

darkmatter Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

yunfat, I apologize for being too conclusive about the schools. Speaking with applicants (post-Mt.Sinai interview) with regards to their impressions of the schools, they seem to prefer Mt. Sinai over AECOM in terms of research and facilities. I would agree that it is somewhat of a shallow perspective. In terms of clinical training, I know an aspiring pediatrician who chose AECOM over Mt. Sinai, and he did factor in excellent clinical training and patient exposure. However, he did admit that many of his classmates would have chosen Mt. Sinai simply because they felt they would have better research training at Mt. Siani hospital and that they (probably) have a stronger faculty in that area. Still, my friend is very compassionate and personable, which I believe is testament to AECOM's clinical training.

21. nap

nap Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks so much for all of your input. Its been very helpful!

22. cm7b5

cm7b5 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

If money is a factor....Sinai's finaid is better than AECOM's...they have some pretty nice endowments (they are well-endowed :) )