Mount Sinai School of Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lindell12a

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows the stats on this school and whether it is difficult to get in. I guess I should rephrase that...is not AS difficult to get in as other medical schools :p

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't personally applied to this school, but as a general rule of thumb besides the ivy league schools, schools in metropolitan/large city areas tend to be much more difficult to get in because of the larger amount of applicants and if I'm not mistaken this school is in Manhattan, so just you imagine but judging by their selection criteria I would say they would be average or on par with other New York Medical Schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Applied last year and was admitted. Yes, it is hard. Look at MSAR for the specific details but their admit rate is among the nation's lowest (~5%) because of their location--their anatomy lab overlooks central park!!--and solid academics.

Applied last year and was admitted. Yes, it is hard. Look at MSAR for the specific details but their admit rate is among the nation's lowest because of their location (their anatomy lab overlooks central park!!) and solid academics.

MSSM is tough to get into its a great school. Not as hard as Cornell or Columbia but fairly close to difficulty. I know people whom have chosen MSSM over Cornell

The best place to check statistics regarding average gpa, mcat, and acceptance rate on the school would be the US News and World Report (I don't take their rankings seriously, but their statistics are hard facts). I went to medical school in Manhattan, although not Mt. Sinai. Mt. Sinai is in a wonderful location in the upper east side, very clean and not too expensive (relatively).

I would have to say reputation wise they are really well respected in New York and the East coast. Nationally they are not as well known. I think the general perception is that for medical schools in Manhattan, Mt. Sinai is considered a notch below Columbia and Cornell, roughly equivalent to NYU (although NYU is more recognized nationally), and a notch above Einstein.