Mount Sinai Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

i77ac

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got it. Anyone else?

Does anyone know if they screen?

Members don't see this ad.

haha...anyone else check out the number of people who received it? holy sh1t, i've never seen an email with that many names on it. it screwed up my outlook express, hahaha

Members don't see this ad :)
i received another email saying that theyre trying to fix the tech probs....anyone else get that?

Does someone want to email them and explain the beauty of the bcc:?

Can anyone send me the secondary? All I got was an email saying that some people received it on Aug. 2nd, while others didn't due to problems with spamming (funny though that I got this explanation email sans problemes).

I tend to think that if a school doesn't have their administrative skit together, their educational quality might be so high as well.

PookieGirl said:
Can anyone send me the secondary? All I got was an email saying that some people received it on Aug. 2nd, while others didn't due to problems with spamming (funny though that I got this explanation email sans problemes).

I tend to think that if a school doesn't have their administrative skit together, their educational quality might be so high as well.
The functionality admissions office has very little to do with educational quality. If that was true, Dr. Frantz would have made Columbia drop off the US News rankings long, long ago.

I do find the fact that MSSM never BCC's their emails very funny. Even in emails to accepted applicants, they still have the uncanny knack to disclose everyone's email.

In the email, they discuss "resolving" issues of essay length. This just means so we can actually fit our essays in their space, right? (and they won't change the actual length of them)

thanks in advance

calstudent said:
In the email, they discuss "resolving" issues of essay length. This just means so we can actually fit our essays in their space, right? (and they won't change the actual length of them)

thanks in advance

Yes.

I have not received a single e-mail from MSSM, and I was processed on 6/23. I'm not worried b/c they aren't screening, but has anyone else had no contact with them? If not, I should probably call their office...

I still haven't heard from them but I am able to login at the website. I will be submitting my app whenever they fix the essay glitch.

Treg

can someone post the link please?? i too havent heard from them, but would like to work on it anyway...thanks!! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone post the link to the secondary? They claim that they keep emailing it to me, but for the 3rd day in a row, I haven't gotten it. Thanks.

And what's the deal with Harvard???

http://fusion.mssm.edu/admissions/submit/

have fun :)

oh and if you dont' have a picture to upload, the questions are:

1. What makes you special, someone who will add to the Mt. Sinai community. ~250 words

2. Specific interests in Mt. Sinai. ~200words

Cookie,
:thumbup: THANK YOU FOR THE LINK!!!!!!!

no problema - best of luck to ya :)

After Mt. Siani sent that email with all our eamil address...somone at Pomona sent me a virus! Did anyone else get that?

Anyone else get a weird message when they put in payment info? I think the transaction didn't go through but I'm afraid to do it again because I don't want to get charged twice. This is the most expensive secondary for me yet at $105. Why the extra $5?? I thought there was supposed to be a cap of $100? Ah well, it's my last one so I'll stop complaining!

i've been getting really weird emails with attachments ever since the sanai secondary came in. they say i have a failure to deliver email but they're from addresses i've never sent anything to. anyone else get anything like that?

DGhiker said:
Anyone else get a weird message when they put in payment info? I think the transaction didn't go through but I'm afraid to do it again because I don't want to get charged twice. This is the most expensive secondary for me yet at $105. Why the extra $5?? I thought there was supposed to be a cap of $100? Ah well, it's my last one so I'll stop complaining!

This is exactly what happened to me, I called, and yes it went through. Now I can't submit my secondary since the program didn't register my payment, so the tech guy is sending me a link to bypass that step (since they confirmed my payment was received).

Perhaps the $5 is to pay the tech guy fees for making it all online? $5x4000 applications = $20000 (a half time salary?)

:)

Treg

davidthegnome said:
i've been getting really weird emails with attachments ever since the sanai secondary came in. they say i have a failure to deliver email but they're from addresses i've never sent anything to. anyone else get anything like that?

yes! I got the same email...and another one too with viruses in them. :mad:

mdsh00 said:
yes! I got the same email...and another one too with viruses in them. :mad:

me three. is mt. sinai playing a sick joke on us?

yup, same here gnome. it's annoying. i almost deleted an important email because i thought it was spam. yikes!

Treg said:
This is exactly what happened to me, I called, and yes it went through. Now I can't submit my secondary since the program didn't register my payment, so the tech guy is sending me a link to bypass that step (since they confirmed my payment was received).

Perhaps the $5 is to pay the tech guy fees for making it all online? $5x4000 applications = $20000 (a half time salary?)

:)

Treg

Thanks for the info Treg. That means I'm probably going to be charged twice and with their "Strict NO REFUNDS" rule, they'll probably keep all $210 of it. Guess I'll have to wait for my link too to bypass their silly system. At least I know I'm almost there (and not alone)!!

DGhiker said:
Thanks for the info Treg. That means I'm probably going to be charged twice and with their "Strict NO REFUNDS" rule, they'll probably keep all $210 of it. Guess I'll have to wait for my link too to bypass their silly system. At least I know I'm almost there (and not alone)!!

I think that you should call them. They were actually very nice :thumbup:

Treg

i'm now getting viruses sent to me because of sinai. I just opened up a new email account for my med school stuff, and have gotten 0 junk until sinai started sending me stuff. whoever is doing it is spoofing .edu addresses to try to con people into opening them, perhaps thinking it is from a med school. i'm embarassed that whoever is doing this is applying to medical school, especially one i'm applying to. and what the hell is sinai thinking, seriously.

Dr Turninkoff said:
i'm now getting viruses sent to me because of sinai. I just opened up a new email account for my med school stuff, and have gotten 0 junk until sinai started sending me stuff. whoever is doing it is spoofing .edu addresses to try to con people into opening them, perhaps thinking it is from a med school. i'm embarassed that whoever is doing this is applying to medical school, especially one i'm applying to. and what the hell is sinai thinking, seriously.

Is someone doing this intentionally? Unlikely. Here's why:

If a person has a virus on his/her computer (which many people have unknowingly), the virus will send itself to recipients on emails received by this person. The virus will likely use the same domain as the email addresses (like ucla.edu or cornell.edu) to trick the recipient of the virus into believing it is a legitimate email. You can, however, blame Mt. Sinai for not using the BCC (blind carbon copy) when sending that email. If they had used BCC, no one would know any other recipient of the email so no virus.

No one is spoofing emails on purpose. Very unlikely.

Jason

I still haven't gotten the secondary. :(

I haven't gotten the secondary either! :(
I was processed on 7/8, but added them as a designated school 7/16, maybe that is the hold-up?

Treg said:
I think that you should call them. They were actually very nice :thumbup:

Treg

I just called. A nice young woman checked to see if they got a confirmation of payment email from my address, but couldn't find one. She said to try later this afternoon, but first to check back with her around 2 to see if she got a confirmation email for me yet. Very helpful staff, I'm impressed.

UCLAstudent said:
I still haven't gotten the secondary. :(

me niether, i think its because our email servers are smart enough to reject those kinds of emails that are so prone to having viruses

Although it seems like I'm the only one experiencing this problem at this point (except for Treg who already resolved it), I'll post this update anyway. I've been unable to submit payment for the supplemental. I put in all my credit card info, verify it's correct, hit 'Submit' and get a message saying "Error creating page, blah, blah, blah". Been talking to Jessica at MSSM all afternoon about this. She's getting on the phone with her tech support person and is going to email me to let me know what's up. When I find anything out, I'll let you all know because inevitably, more people are going to start experiencing this problem.

I'm still getting this error when I try to upload my picture for mt.sinai:

"Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.
JRun closed connection."

Has anyone else gotten this or know why I'm getting it?

... call them and tell them that youve heard there have been some problems and you havent gotten it. theyll take your name and AMCAS ID, and send it -- they are in the process of resending to all the people who didnt get it :)

DGhiker said:
Although it seems like I'm the only one experiencing this problem at this point (except for Treg who already resolved it), I'll post this update anyway. I've been unable to submit payment for the supplemental. I put in all my credit card info, verify it's correct, hit 'Submit' and get a message saying "Error creating page, blah, blah, blah". Been talking to Jessica at MSSM all afternoon about this. She's getting on the phone with her tech support person and is going to email me to let me know what's up. When I find anything out, I'll let you all know because inevitably, more people are going to start experiencing this problem.

yeah, something's wrong with their payment page. i can't even get the payment page to load so i can enter in my info when i click on the link. error message: "Error creating page (orgid not set). Please go back and try again." anyone have any updates on the problem?

Yeah - i had to write them about getting their supplemental...and in the return email they sent me the link. Just make sure that when you go to pay, you enable all cookies on your computer or it won't go through. MSSM is messed up.

I also had an error the first time I tried to upload the picture. It turns out it was because I didn't have the file extension added onto the filename. Basically, after I added the letters .jpeg to the end of the filename, I was able to upload with no problem.

I had the same problem as you guys with the payment part of the application. Everything finally went through once i went to Tools --> Internet Options --> Privacy --> and scrolled the bar down to "accept all cookies". Even if you think you're accepting cookies, the bar itself has to be all the way down. Then, it worked...and i wasn't charged for the times that it didn't. MSSM is messed up.

Iamajew said:
I had the same problem as you guys with the payment part of the application. Everything finally went through once i went to Tools --> Internet Options --> Privacy --> and scrolled the bar down to "accept all cookies". Even if you think you're accepting cookies, the bar itself has to be all the way down. Then, it worked...and i wasn't charged for the times that it didn't. MSSM is messed up.

thanks for the help. i changed my settings and was able to submit it finally.

Thanks so much cookie monster... I have been waiting for their email for weeks but they never sent it to me... you rock! :)

CookieMonstr said:
http://fusion.mssm.edu/admissions/submit/

have fun :)

oh and if you dont' have a picture to upload, the questions are:

1. What makes you special, someone who will add to the Mt. Sinai community. ~250 words

2. Specific interests in Mt. Sinai. ~200words

Wow, I finally got the invitation via email today to fill out the secondary. Too bad I was complete there 8/8 and am interviewing in a week and a half....

:cool: Treg

At least the Bcc'ed it so I am not going to join some spam lists, I hope :scared:

I received the email today too, but I had already filled out the online application. Does the email mean that they don't have it? I have credit card receipts and a printout of my application I submitted. Also, when I try logging in again, it says I already filled it out. How could they not have it? It's all online.

Should I go call them and see if they have my file?

Jason

I think you are fine. I called them back in August after they had my letters to confirm that I was complete, and they said yes. I also have an interview there very soon, so obviously it was just resent to everyone on the original list that maybe got bounced back...like I never received an email invite from them for the secondary back in August.

Does that make sense? :D Treg

yeah i just got one of those "we never recieved your supplemental app" emails too even though I had sent it back on 8/10 and gotten confirmation.

this admissions office has got to be the most disorganized/inept with email technology office in the country.........i certainly hope the school is not like that as well....

Treg said:
I think you are fine. I called them back in August after they had my letters to confirm that I was complete, and they said yes. I also have an interview there very soon, so obviously it was just resent to everyone on the original list that maybe got bounced back...like I never received an email invite from them for the secondary back in August.

Does that make sense? :D Treg

Thanks for the response. I'll probably just go call them anyway (call it pre-med paranoia). Great MCAT by the way, Dr. Treg (that's if you've completed your PhD ;) )

Jason

Hey I got this email too and I paid em a month ago, the MSSM people seem more computer incompetent by the day.

Jason110 said:
Thanks for the response. I'll probably just go call them anyway (call it pre-med paranoia). Great MCAT by the way, Dr. Treg (that's if you've completed your PhD ;) )

Jason

Don't forget to call during their "designated status check times", Monday and Wednesday from 12-2 or something like that. They can be pretty rude otherwise. In fact, I think it is kinda funny how they sent this email now, on Wednesday, so people will be fretting all week until next Monday, when they can call. Evil, pure evil! :p

Thanks for the MCAT compliment. I won't be Dr. Treg until next summer. Until then, Master Treg or Mistress Treg will suffice.

:laugh: Treg

hey i called sinai cause i had another problem regarding paying the application fee...and the lady told me they are having a crisis over there..they accidentally sent a email out to a whole bunch of students. so im guessing that tha's the email u all are talkin about. so u dont have anything to worry about

jiggaman said:
hey i called sinai cause i had another problem regarding paying the application fee...and the lady told me they are having a crisis over there..they accidentally sent a email out to a whole bunch of students. so im guessing that tha's the email u all are talkin about. so u dont have anything to worry about

I called too....apparently, it wasn't her fault either, it had to do something with the computer <shrug> - I didn't ask.

I got that e-mail about not being complete.....which was weird because i scheduled an interview there two weeks ago.

So yeah, no worries.