Mount Sinai/ traveling in New York

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I was wondering if anyone knew if Mount Sinai offered student hosts. I looked around their website and couldn't find anything, but hey, you never know.

Also, if anyone has interviewed in NY -- I arranged to have Mount Sinai and New York Medical College interviews on two consecutive days... would it be crazy expensive to take a cab between the two schools? They are supposedly like 40 minutes apart. I almost never take cabs, so I don't really know how much they cost. Add that to having only been to New York once as an eight year old, and I am definitely confused. :)

Any advice is much appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

HI Elle...

I live and work in Manhattan, so I know a bit about transportation. DO NOT take a cab to and from NYMC and Mt. Sinai. Metro North railroad goes from Grand Central Terminal (42nd and Lexington Ave) to Hawthorne. You can get to and from MSSM on the 6 train (subway from GCT) I think that is the closest train station to NYMC, so just take a train from there. You might want to call them and see how far NYMC is from the station, but I am pretty sure it would be a cheap cab from the station to the campus.
Checkout "http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/mnr/index.html"for schedule information.

Hope that helps.

ZAN

Hey, Elle, when's your interview at Mt. Sinai? Mine's on November 8...no word from NYMC yet. Oh and by the way, how did NYMC let you know about your interview? Via email, regular mail or phone? Just curious. Thanks!

Gary

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,
Thanks for the information! My Mount Sinai interview is on November 20th, and NYMC notified me by e-mail. They let you call and schedule from the days they have available, Monday-Thursday.

Zancudo, that information is really helpful! I have never traveled in NYC before so I admit that I'm nervous... even though I live near a city, I feel like such a country mouse. :) So I would be able to take the 6 train in between NYMC and Mount Sinai? I'll try to plan a route by the website, but I might have more questions (sorry)!

Reactions: 1 user
No worries...the 6 train is a subway, metro north is a commuter train. You can get from Grand Central to and from Mt. Sinai on the 6 train, and from Grand Central to NYMC via the metro north commuter train.

Hope that makes some sense
Zancudo

The MetroNorth train runs right by Mt Sinai so there should be a station around there i uptown Manhattan.. you can check their website (just type MetroNorth on yahoo.com)

The closest train station to MSSM is 96th street (& LEXINGTON AVE) from the 6 train. Just walk past Park Ave, then to Madison Ave, walk up four streets to 100th st.

Are you sure the Metro North train you speak of is out of Grand Central and not Penn Station...???

METRO NORTH is definitely out of GRAND CENTRAL, not penn station

Amtrak goes to Penn Station, the regular trains

Penn station has trains going to NJ, etc. MetroNorth goes through Grand Central. (42nd and around Park Ave)

Geez...I stand corrected. I just wanted to make sure since I am on the Amtrak trains a lot and thought I saw various NJ trains departing as well... :)

As far as getting to Grand Central...

Subway - 4, 5, 6, 7, and S
Bus - M1, M2, M3, M4, M5, M42, M98, M101, M102, M104, Q32

All of these trains and buses serve Grand Central.