mount sinai vs albert einstein, discuss...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by barb, Jan 7, 2002.

1. barb

barb Senior Member

I know little about either school and wanted to get a better idea from those of you who have interviewed there. Is one notably better than the other? I checked out interviewfeedback.com but I was hoping some of your comments could shed more light. Much thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jargon124

jargon124 Senior Member

I'm interviewing at Einstein on Thursday and Sinai on Friday this week so I will have something to post this weekend! Stay tuned :)

4. Thewonderer

Thewonderer Senior Member

I don't know much about Mount Sinai other than interviewing there a couple years ago. The location wasn't bad..... not as good as NYU and Cornell but definitely better than Columbia, Downstate, and Einstein. The school seems to be very good while the students, though, did not seem to want to talk to the applicants....

I did a summer of research at Einstein. And on location alone, I would choose Mount Sinai over Einstein anytime of the day. Einstein is tooooo far from Manhanttan. I don't care what the school tells you about the neighborhood (it is safe but boring) but that school is soooo far from the action (esp. compared to Mount Sinai).

First of all, that express bus to Manhattan and back comes only once an hour late at night (when you are done partying in Manhattan) and stops running around 11pm or 12am. If you miss it, too bad. Either shell out $25+ for taxi or take the slow subway. AND the subway station is not immediate to the school (about 10 minute walk). I had to walk back to the dorm 2-3 times during the summer because I did not want to wait for the once-a-hour early AM morning buses from that square back to Einstein.

Anyway, unless you have car, Einstein is too far for my taste. and even with a car, parking in Manhattan can be a pain. You really have to live in NYC to appreciate how far things are away from each other. Living at Mount Sinai would be a lot more convenient. You always have to live at NYC to appreciate how inconvenient the subway can be after 11pm. You also gotta remember that only 6 train goes to AECOM... So you might go through Manhanttan no problem (4,5,6 all do) but once you are at 125th st station, you have to swtich to 6. And I spent too many useless hours waiting for those during my one summer there.....

So my PERSONAL vote is for Mount Sinai...no hesitation. plus, isn't the tuition cheaper?

5. SMW

SMW Grand Member

jargon, how did those 2 interviews end up being so wonderfully coordinated? More specifically, was Mount Sinai cooperative about scheduling?

Good luck with your interviews -- let us know how they go. :)

6. barb

barb Senior Member

SMW, I have my interviews for Mount Sinai and AE one day apart. I'm not sure how flexible Mount Sinai is, but AE was totally flexible and changed my interview date so I would only have to make one trip (actually, now this is my second trip) out to the east coast (i'm in San Francisco). I think schools are pretty good about changing dates if you are willing to push back your interview date rather than push it forward.

7. lady in red

lady in red Senior Member

I did summer research at Sinai and absolutely LOVED iT!!!!!!!!! The location is great, people are down-to-earth and students were really smart. I don't know about Einstein, but I would choose Sinai. the only thing, their dorms SUCK!!!!!!!! They are cheap (like 500 a month), but so nasty, old, worn-out,--new York living at its finest.

8. E'01

E'01 1K Member

Medical Student

9. dnt107

dnt107 Senior Member

10. E'01

E'01 1K Member

Medical Student
    Cornell was absolutely the best. You get your own room and you share a bathroom with your neighbor. I didn't see NYUs dorms.

11. jargon124

jargon124 Senior Member

Hey guys,

I got back last night from Einstein/Sinai. I stayed with hosts at both places and learned alot about the respective schools. Here are a few thoughts that stick out in my mind...

Einstein - Strong academically, well-respected (especially in the NYC area), students are pretty loose, non-competitive. All the people there (students, faculty, and staff) seem to be very receptive to students and treat them with kindness and respect from what I saw. The class schedule seems friendly, with not much afternoon class and plenty of free time (most students there were busy preparing for an intramural basketball tourney when I was there). My interviewer actually told me that my PS was one of the best she'd ever read - so that was kinda cool - hopefully she meant it! . One thing I didn't like was that the class is made up us about 180 students, which is one of the largest in the country. However, the resources do seem to be there for them in terms of facilities, faculty, etc. Another potential problem, depending on the kind of person you are, is the location - in the Bronx. The area in which the school is located is actually very safe. But there's not much to do there, so if you are into exotic cuisine, bars, nightlife, and the like you will have to go into manhattan, which is a 45 min express bus ride away (very convenient bus, as I took it to Sinai). The living arrangements at Einstin I thought were very good. Most students live in 3 person/3 bedroom apartment style housing with one bathroom, kitchen, and living room area. The apartments are big for NYC - the bedrooms particularly. Plus, the rent is about $260/month per person - you can't beat that anywhere. Also, there is a newly renovated gym next door that looks really nice. Oh yeah, one more slight problem though, since it is a Jewish school, the gym, along with other things, closes early on fri and sat (I don't know exactly how it works) - but the upside to that is there is no class on fri afternoons ever. Also, I got the feeling that the students were happy there, but that Einstein was the school they backed up into - they didn't get into more desirable schools and had to settle for Einstein. This showed, and the students were not as happy as they could have been it seemed to me.

Now for Sinai - I was very impressed with the quality of students at Sinai - I met several of them and they seemed very very smart and extremely happy with the school. They also seem to have lots of free time in their first two years with which to explore the city and volunteer, get involved, etc. I don't really know how well my interview went - it was hard to read but I am hoping to get in to Sinai and it has jumped up on my list of preferences. The location of Sinai is top notch - you can't ask for much better - a few blocks from central park and the subway at your fingertips. The dorms are really apartments, and a significant number of them are duplexes that will blow your mind. The place I stayed in was a duplex with 5 students/5bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. There was a big kitchen and living room area and an amazing balcony area. But keep in mind not everyone will get a duplex - stil thought I saw the single-story places and they were very nice too - best I've seen as far as NYC schools go (haven't seen Cornell though). The rent is about 600/month. The Mount Sinai Hospital is a major selling point - it's really great - the head of cardiology there is the Pres of the American Heart Association, plus they just recruited the entire transplant team from Brigham and Women's (a Harvard hospital) - which is like 17 docs. The faculty are great and my interviewers were clearly interested in helping students seeing them succeed and become humanistic doctors. The finacial aid at Sinai is very effective too = the avg debt for students, which factored in bedt accumulated in undergraduate years, was 90K - that's really good. Another thing I liked at SInai was the opportunity to do a MS in community medicine (eq. to an MPH) without spending another year there. Plus, my hosts and I sat around and drank Beam+Coke the night before my interview - gotta love that :) )

It is no question better than NYU and Einstein. It may, depending on your personal wants, be more desirable than Cornell. (the problem I have with Cornell is that their hospital affiliatioa are not great, whereas Sinai, COlumbia, and even NYU to a lesser extent have great teaching hospitals with clinical opportunities abound).
    The NYC schools, all thiongs considered, as I see them right now (interviewed at all these except Cornell so far):

1. Columbia (no question about this at all)
    2. Sinai (close with Cornell, but my visit to Sinai convinced me - for now)
    3. Cornell (this could very well change if/when I see the school)
    4. NYU
    5. Einstein (location, big class kills it - but still a good school with lots of opportunities)

That's all folks, let me know if there is anything else of if I can be of any help...and good luck with your apps!

PS - I was told that the wait post-ionterview at Einstien is 6-8 weeks. At SInai, the Dean said acceptances will go out 3 weeks after the interview, whereas the waitlist will be established sometime in Febraury. So basically, if I don't hear from Sinai in 3 weeks I can assume that I'[m rejected or waitlisted. Also, Sinai will be interviewing through April...

12. reesie0726

reesie0726 Senior Member

I really loved Sinai when I interviewed there. I actually liked it more than Columbia. The dorms were absolutely gorgeous. They had these wonderful views and beautiful hard wood floors. Two people per bathroom. The students seemed laid back and non-competitive. I had such a good time when I was there. The location is also nice. I don't know about Einstein. But I loved Sinai. Hopefully, I will hear from them soon.

13. barb

barb Senior Member

I just got back from my interviews at Mount Sinai and Albert Einstein, and I have to say:
    MOUNT SINAI! MOUNT SINAI! MOUNT SINAI!

14. choker

choker Senior Member

yeah, mount sinai was totally awesome. i would go there in a heartbeat.

15. vinsanity

vinsanity Senior Member

I personally think Sinai is much better than Einstein. But you can really go wrong on either school.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. vinsanity

vinsanity Senior Member

sorry, I meant to say that you can't really go wrong on either school.

18. E'01

E'01 1K Member

Medical Student
    Einstein has merit scholarships :)

19. Dr. Kermit

Dr. Kermit Senior Member

E'01-

If you don't mind my asking, what are your stats that you were offered a merit scholarship? Do they offer them based on URM or disadvantaged stati?

Thanks. I'm currently leaning toward Einstein, but my state school is 8K less a year, so I have to keep that in mind too!

-DK

20. E'01

E'01 1K Member

Medical Student
    HIya DK I just PM-ed you :)

21. Dr. Kermit

Dr. Kermit Senior Member

Thanks E'01, I wrote ya back!

22. agent cooper

agent cooper Junior Member

Could anyone comment in detail in regards to the Einstein environs? I didn't get to see much of the neighborhood, but did notice the void the campus seemed to rest in. Was it the foggy day or is there really not much around? Any good hangs at all? A little concerned about my possible North Bronx social life...your impressions and insights please. Also, is the 6 after midnite really that bad?