Mount Sinai vs. U Miami (75% Scholarship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mount Sinai vs. U Miami (75% scholarship)

• Mount Sinai

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • U Miami

Votes: 42 63.6%

• Total voters

Acetoacetate

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I would appreciate your input in choosing between U Miami, where I have received a 75% scholarship, and Mount Sinai.

OOS for both, and could see myself thriving in both Miami and NYC so location is not that big of an issue. Please help me compare the curriculum, research opportunities, ranking difference, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

It would be nice if you could comment in addition to voting! :)

I didn't apply to Mount Sinai so I can't comment on it. I was interviewed and accepted at Miami so I'll comment on its pros and cons.
Pros: great location, great weather, sufficient research opportunities, sufficient community outreach projects, busy teaching hospital that enables students to work with/on patients directly even in the OR (as i was told on interview day), eye institute is #1 in the nation, great match list with lots of specialty/surgical matches
Cons: Spanish, non-English patient population (if you're not fluent in Spanish), not as much research funding as Mount Sinai (based on the USNEWS research rankings only), not as highly ranked as Mount Sinai, high costs of living (I was told that rent is ~$1000 per month per person for a 2Bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment but this shouldn't be a factor in the comparison since NYC is just as, if not more, expensive), old medical school building

I was also offered a 6-figure scholarship at Miami and am currently considering it among other schools. Hope this helps :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I would appreciate your input in choosing between U Miami, where I have received a 75% scholarship, and Mount Sinai.

OOS for both, and could see myself thriving in both Miami and NYC so location is not that big of an issue. Please help me compare the curriculum, research opportunities, ranking difference, etc.

Both are great programs. You probably know more than a random forum does. How many people on here interviewed at both Miller and Sinai and can give good feedback? You went to the interviews and learned the info so what it really comes down to is your personal preference. Most people here are going to vote Sinai because it's a top 20 or Miller because a lot of people are obsessed with that program lol.

Tell us more about you and your passions. Does Sinai offer anything in your eyes other than ~25 spots better USNWR ranking? Would it be worth an additional ~150k? I would be hard-pressed to find any school outside of maybe Harvard that would be worth that additional debt burden.

Not to mention that in NYC you have 4 top 20 medical school and 6 schools total (not counting DO) that will all be pulling different patient populations. I would think that in Miami with only UM and FIU around that you would get to see a more diverse set of pathologies as it is the major medical school for that part of the state.

Personally, I would choose the cheapest. As this application process draws near its end I am starting to have more of an appreciation for the debt associated with medical school and I think minimizing that is crucial. You can match just about anywhere going to UM.

The only downside to Miami I see is a certain banned SDNer who shall remain anonymous who will be one of your classmates there ;) although he should be avoidable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users

I didn't apply to Mount Sinai so I can't comment on it. I was interviewed and accepted at Miami so I'll comment on its pros and cons.
Pros: great location, great weather, sufficient research opportunities, sufficient community outreach projects, busy teaching hospital that enables students to work with/on patients directly even in the OR (as i was told on interview day), eye institute is #1 in the nation, great match list with lots of specialty/surgical matches
Cons: Spanish, non-English patient population (if you're not fluent in Spanish), not as much research funding as Mount Sinai (based on the USNEWS research rankings only), not as highly ranked as Mount Sinai, high costs of living (I was told that rent is ~$1000 per month per person for a 2Bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment but this shouldn't be a factor in the comparison since NYC is just as, if not more, expensive), old medical school building

I was also offered a 6-figure scholarship at Miami and am currently considering it among other schools. Hope this helps :)
Wow is Miami really good with scholarships or something?? That sounds really awesome.
OP, I'm from NYC, and I would choose miami - considering the 75% scholarship and considered a very good school, not to mention in a sick location!
But you can't go wrong, I just think unless you plan on going into academia mount sinai's extra prestige is not worth $100K. Just my $0.02

Both are great programs. You probably know more than a random forum does. How many people on here interviewed at both Miller and Sinai and can give good feedback? You went to the interviews and learned the info so what it really comes down to is your personal preference. Most people here are going to vote Sinai because it's a top 20 or Miller because a lot of people are obsessed with that program lol.

Tell us more about you and your passions. Does Sinai offer anything in your eyes other than ~25 spots better USNWR ranking? Would it be worth an additional ~150k? I would be hard-pressed to find any school outside of maybe Harvard that would be worth that additional debt burden.

Not to mention that in NYC you have 4 top 20 medical school and 6 schools total (not counting DO) that will all be pulling different patient populations. I would think that in Miami with only UM and FIU around that you would get to see a more diverse set of pathologies as it is the major medical school for that part of the state.

Personally, I would choose the cheapest. As this application process draws near its end I am starting to have more of an appreciation for the debt associated with medical school and I think minimizing that is crucial. You can match just about anywhere going to UM.

The only downside to Miami I see is a certain banned SDNer who shall remain anonymous who will be one of your classmates there ;) although he should be avoidable.

Thanks for the really helpful reply!

I've done a little more research and here's a comparison of Sinai and Miller: Sinai's COA is 63k, while Miller's new COA should be 39k.

Sinai
Pros - true P/F, flexible exam times (take it at home during a certain time span), service mission through free clinic, mandatory research (helpful to me), not too much PBL, school apartment rent is only 600/mo, public health focus, top 20, serves both East Harlem and Upper East Side
Cons - none

Miller
Pros - not too much PBL, service mission through annual health fairs, amazing place to work on Spanish, hospitals see a lot of underserved, great clinical education
Cons - hidden ranking (not true P/F), apartments are around 1500/mo

As for my personal aspirations, I'm currently very interested in some kind of surgery - maybe reconstructive. I haven't been involved in research much, but I plan to do some in medical school. I have a background in public health and may pursue an MPH. I am also focused on being a clinician and am passionate about working with the underserved.

I guess you're right that in the end, it will be up to my personal preference. I hope Second Look will help me make this decision. Thanks again!

Thanks for the really helpful reply!

I've done a little more research and here's a comparison of Sinai and Miller: Sinai's COA is 63k, while Miller's new COA should be 39k.

Sinai
Pros - true P/F, flexible exam times (take it at home during a certain time span), service mission through free clinic, mandatory research (helpful to me), not too much PBL, school apartment rent is only 600/mo, public health focus, top 20, serves both East Harlem and Upper East Side
Cons - none

Miller
Pros - not too much PBL, service mission through annual health fairs, amazing place to work on Spanish, hospitals see a lot of underserved, great clinical education
Cons - hidden ranking (not true P/F), apartments are around 1500/mo

As for my personal aspirations, I'm currently very interested in some kind of surgery - maybe reconstructive. I haven't been involved in research much, but I plan to do some in medical school. I have a background in public health and may pursue an MPH. I am also focused on being a clinician and am passionate about working with the underserved.

I guess you're right that in the end, it will be up to my personal preference. I hope Second Look will help me make this decision. Thanks again!

Wouldn't the con for Sinai be the additional 24k per year in cost? i.e. 100k after 4 years? i.e. ~150k after interest?

Just my $0.02

Miami - it's the home of Dexter.

Wouldn't the con for Sinai be the additional 24k per year in cost? i.e. 100k after 4 years? i.e. ~150k after interest?

Just my $0.02

So true! Completely forgot that…but that is super important.

Honestly, it seems like you prefer Sinai. I would still say that you should pick Sinai (but I'm on their waitlist so I'd be fine if you didn't!). I think that the overall package (location, research, diverse population, and great MD/MPH program) just about outweighs the Miami scholarship.

Definitely wait for second look and the financial aid packages, though!

Honestly, it seems like you prefer Sinai. I would still say that you should pick Sinai (but I'm on their waitlist so I'd be fine if you didn't!). I think that the overall package (location, research, diverse population, and great MD/MPH program) just about outweighs the Miami scholarship.

You're right, Sinai was my top choice immediately after I went to the interview early last fall. It's just a beyond amazing school! I also enjoyed my experience at Miami, but definitely not on the level of Sinai.

But again, I'm not sure how easy it is to gauge a program solely on the interview day.

P.S. Good luck with the waitlist! My host told me there would be significant movement.

I'm by no means a huge Miller fanboy, but I feel like something like "diverse population" will be seen just as much, if not more, in Miami/Dade as it would in the upper east side & east harlem. Also, you can do an MD/MPH anywhere.

This will be my last post in here, all I'm saying is that $100K is a HUGE additional debt to take on.

Hopefully second look will help OP make up his mind.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm by no means a huge Miller fanboy, but I feel like something like "diverse population" will be seen just as much, if not more, in Miami/Dade as it would in the upper east side & east harlem. Also, you can do an MD/MPH anywhere.

This will be my last post in here, all I'm saying is that $100K is a HUGE additional debt to take on.

I agree about the diverse population point. Actually, I feel like both programs are quite similar in their focus. Despite Sinai being ranked top 20 in research, they seem more focused on the clinical side of things.

However, I'm not sure if Sinai will have more/better resources.

150K is monumental. Making somewhat similar choices myself, I'm having trouble justifying it. If you work hard, you will be fine everywhere.

Still a few weeks away from Second Look, which might help me make a decision…so I decided to take a look at the match lists.

Is there any significance in that many more Sinai students match at Sinai, compared to Miller students that mostly match at other institutions?

Also, any insight into which school might better prepare me for a surgical specialty? Thanks!