Mount Sinai vs. UCI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

giveitheremalfoy353

Reaction score
Hi everybodayyy,

I've been blessed to be accepted and choosing between Mount Sinai and UC Irvine. My dream has always been to live in Southern California but I'm torn for the reasons below. I've grown up and lived my entire life in the northeast and I recognize that the chance to move to so cal may never come again, and that going to med school at UCI could potentially open doors for me to match either on the West Coast or come back east. However, Mount Sinai is really tough to pass up on and overall seems like the safer option.

I am unsure of costs at the moment but am figuring that UCI will be more expensive due to rent (which would be at least double), travel, cost of living, etc.

I would really appreciate any insight/suggestions!

Thanks fam.

UCI:

pros:
1. LOVED my interview day. I really felt that this was where I belonged and that I had to come here. Felt really comfortable with the faculty, interviewers, and other interviewees.
2. Overall seems like a more laid-back, friendly vibe that is inherent to southern california.
3. Weather lol and outdoor lifestyle
4. Approachability and mentorship from faculty seems unparalleled (small class size, faculty that are really committed to mentorship and education)

cons:
1. Significant distance between housing (not centralized for students), med school, and hospital. Also all are farther from the beach than I had thought. Lack of cohesion makes me seriously apprehensive when I'd be moving across the country.
2. Cost of living in Orange County
3. Leaving a support system and building a new one

Mount Sinai:

pros:
1. Subsidized housing across from central park ~$650/month. Unreal deal
2. Friends/Family live in the northeast. SO lives in Philly.
3. Cohesive community (esp with dorm style housing) which is important to me.
4. High ranking with desirable curriculum

con:
1. I don't love NYC. I lived there for 2 months and would be fine if I never did again.
2. Didn't love my interview day like I loved UCIs. However, I feel that MSSM is known for having a great culture so I hesitate to put much weight on my snapshot of the day.
3. Likely wouldn't have luck matching in west coast if I wanted to?
4. Overall I just get a more serious/intense vibe of the culture at MSSM but I could be completely wrong

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
UCI has grades for preclinicals. If you don’t care about anything too competitive, UCI seems a good choice. Otherwise, Mt Sinai can give you a leg up in match because of t20

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When I hear you say that it has always been your dream to live in southern California, that’s a pretty compelling reason to go for UCI. Med school is one of the last opportunities to choose where you’ll live. You’re gonna be there for 4 years, and location can make a difference in happiness.

I’m coming to terms with this myself in my own decision between schools, and feel that location is more important than marginal differences in school name.

Reactions: 2 users
You could match to CA from Icahn. If family support and proximity to SO are important, I'd go to Icahn. That rent is ridiculous.

If there is no cost difference and it’s your dream to live in California, you should go to UCI, this is a good opportunity for you to explore that dream. If you hate it there, well it’s only 4 years, just come back to the East coast (Should be no problem). That being said, you can also match to California from Sinai.

Overall you like UCI more.

Reactions: 1 users
From the sound of it, it seems like you’re leaning towards UCI. Also it is pass fail during pre clinical, not graded, if that makes a difference. UCI also has subsidized campus housing but it’s hard to get as a first year Med student. It’s significantly cheaper though.