Mount Sinai Waiting List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smithjay2k

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey....does anybody know if sinai accepts anybody off of their waiting list before may 15? also, is it true that the financial aid worksheets aren't due until 1 month after acceptance for those on the wait list? how does that work if some people are accepted off of the list in july? any info would be appreciated...thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Smithjay2k said:
Hey....does anybody know if sinai accepts anybody off of their waiting list before may 15? also, is it true that the financial aid worksheets aren't due until 1 month after acceptance for those on the wait list? how does that work if some people are accepted off of the list in july? any info would be appreciated...thanks

Previous years have shown that MSSM doesnt accept off the waitlist until after may 15th, so sit tight for a month.

any idea how mcuh the MSSM list has moved in previous years? I've heard it varies, but within what range (5, 50, 100 people taken off?) and is there any way to determine your rough relative position on the list?

Members don't see this ad :)
I already tried to find out my position... they won't budge :p

Im also on the list. The official line from Kelli Bailey is that they usually take nearly a third of their entering class, so I think we have a good shot. Keep your fingers crossed.

Thanks everyone....i guess i just have to sit tight for a little bit....not like i haven't been doing that for months now :cool: ....if anyone else knows anything about sinai's waitlist let me know! thanks

I'm also eagerly waiting a call from MSSM to be taken off the waitlist! Has anyone heard if there has been any movement at all?
Thanks in advance!

according to the staff, there would be no movement until the last week of may, which is just around the corner.

I'm waiting too :oops:
I e-mailed about financial aid, and they said there's nothing we should do about financial aid at this point. It'll all be handled after acceptance. Good luck to you guys~ Hopefully they'll sweep us all in!

So it's the last week of May now.....ANY NEWS?? :scared:

Smithjay2k said:
So it's the last week of May now.....ANY NEWS?? :scared:

Nuthin' here either.

Don't sweat it guys, MSSM is sure to have movement soon enough. I met a lot current students that came off the waitlist. Hang in there.... :)

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone called to see if there has been any movement yet? maybe I'll do that...

Yeah...one of my friends called, and apparently they are going to begin emailing people starting next week..... :luck:

hurray! that is super news!

I just got an email from Kelli Bailey that said they are meeting at the end of next week to discuss taking people off the waitlist...cross your fingers!!!

Arrghh! I can't take this waiting. If they aren't meeting til the end of next week that means we wont hear until the week after that. Kelli Bailey had originally told me the end of May. This is so NERVE WRACKING!

maybe they will email acceptees in addition to sending a letter? all this waiting makes me very antsy :scared: :scared: :scared:

i know, I'm going a little nutty myself. I called again today and they said that the waitlist still hasn't moved (meaning they haven't taken people off yet) and that they were meeting sometime over the next couple of weeks!). Last week they said they would start letting people know after Memorial DAy.
We just have to wait....and wait...and wait. :scared:
And pray...pray...and pray..... :luck: :luck:

Meeting in the next couple of weeks :eek: I hope that is code for meeting tomorrow or Thursday, which is totally the impression I got from Kelli Bailey!

Hi, I'm new to SDN. I called Admissions today and was informed that the list should start moving in about 2 weeks. Good luck to everyone!

Seriously, I think they should get organized over there and figure out what they are telling people and make sure that the information is consistent and accurate. I also called today and was told that the secretaries just found out the waitlist would be moving and that it would be moving late this week or early next week. In a matter such as this, where a few days are a big deal to people like us who are just dangling and waiting for an acceptance, there is a big difference between late this week and 2 weeks from now. I think we are all ready to get off of this waitlist and the uncertainty as to when it will even begin moving is rather agonizing :eek: :confused: :eek: :confused:

I will abandon mssm soon if i don't get off

ok, i called yesterday and got conflicting info too (i actually didn't call - had my boyfriend do it for me b/c i was too scared to do it myself). anyway...the secretary was really nice and informative (i listened in on conference) and said that the admissions committee hadn't met yet to discuss the waitlist and their first meeting was going to be tomorrow (meaning today). she said she didn't expect anyone to hear until early next week b/c they're making decisions today. also said that a lot of people accepted their offers of admission and that there wouldn't be as much movement as last year :( still hard to tell if any of this is true or not b/c they've been giving out so much conflicting info...

hi everyone,

Well it is nice to know that I am not alone in this agonizing wait. Thanks for getting your boyfriend to call medicalmedical!!!! Nice work. :thumbup:

Now, if only we knew what to believe! :confused:

That is not good news that the waitlist is not going to move as much as last year, but you never can tell.

We just got to keep this thread updated on what we hear and hope for the best. I'm rooting for all of us!!!! :) :)

Does anyone know how they will send out their waitlist information? Will they do it via email, USPS or both? Did anyone ask when they called up? Also how long do you think we will have to respond before the decision is taken back?
Izzyfine-

izzyfine said:
Does anyone know how they will send out their waitlist information? Will they do it via email, USPS or both? Did anyone ask when they called up? Also how long do you think we will have to respond before the decision is taken back?
Izzyfine-

forgot to add that :) they also said that when they inform people, they send out a letter through snail mail for the official acceptance but will most likely send out emails as well. not sure about how long you get to respond but i think it's around 2 weeks max.

Grrrrr....not accepting as many off of the waitlist as last year??
Does anybody know how many they did take off of the waitlist last year? It's hard to judge the total number from last year's mssm waitlist thread :mad:

Last year a third of the class came from the waitlist...so you figure that is about 40 people...it would be reasonable to assume that more people were offered places off the waitlist and did not accept them (i'd randomly guess 15-20 people fit into this category)...this year there were 180 people on the waitlist initially, but some of those people have withdrawn at this point.

I think the really annoying thing for us is that we are waiting for the waitlist to BEGIN moving, but once it starts moving that doesn't necessarily mean we will get off it, it just means that eventually we may get off it. It would be nice if we could know where we are on the waitlist. Schools like Buffalo who tell you where you are and how far they have gotten are so kind to students who are anxiously waiting to hear something.

Hopefully after they meet today they will be ready to send out email to all of us tomorrow so we can have an awesome weekend secure in our acceptances!

Here's my theory of what's going on:

When waitlist movement at a place like MSSM happens after June 1 or so, it is because someone who accepted an offer from them got in somewhere they'd rather go, so they let go of their MSSM spot. So, as long as there is ongoing movement at places like Columbia, Yale and Cornell (which there is), there is a good chance there will be movement at MSSM. The meeting that was held today was probably to pick through a few dozen applications and pick a handfull who would be offered spots in the eventuality that people start withdrawing. Those people may not be contacted for a good week or so, though, because then the spots need to open up. It may be that they've decided to hold the meeting because there are one or more spots already open, or simply because they anticipate them opening. In any case, I don't think anyone who doesn't get an e-mail from them by tomorrow should give in to despair. I know I won't. Good luck everyone!

Just got an email back from the admissions office.....no movement yet on the waitlist ahhhhhh! so frustrating....

I know you guys are all super-anxious to hear back, but calling them every day or e-maililng and asking when they're going to start moving isn't going to make it go any faster unfortunately.

Good luck to all of you, though!!!

TRUE said:
I know you guys are all super-anxious to hear back, but calling them every day or e-maililng and asking when they're going to start moving isn't going to make it go any faster unfortunately.

who said anything about making it go faster? it seems pple would just like to get an accurate picture of the time frame here. i don't see what's wrong with that.

facted said:

Good luck to all of you, though!!!

I'm convinced staying in NYU's face is what helped me secure a spot. So stay in their faces and they will remember you when they are reviewing applications.

The list is moving.

I'm living proof.

TonyMontana

congrats Tony-

how did you find out, when did you find out?

mmz6

found out by e-mail... dated June 4th... 3:11PM

TonyMontana

More confirmed list movement here. Got the email from Kelly Baily. Good luck to the rest of you!

JohnnieBlue said:
More confirmed list movement here. Got the email from Kelly Baily. Good luck to the rest of you!

When exactly did you hear?

Does anyone know if the waitlist is ranked? When I called last time, I was told that they couldn't provide me any information about the waitlist. Congrats to all those pulled off the waitlist!

The list is ranked, but they won't tell us where we are on the list :cool:

yeahhhhhhhhh! I'm so happy to hear the list is finally moving!!! Congrats to TonyMOntana and Johnieblue!!! Way to go guys!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm rooting for all of us SDNers... :) :) :)
smithjay2k, arkinsas, mmz6, ewing, medicalmedical, izzyfine etc etc.

Let's hope for good news this week. :luck:

I hope they keep sending them by email....the snail mail takes even longer to cross the border here to Canada.

Keep the updates coming.

Over and out.

Okay Guys,

Please tell me if I am being overly pessimistic in my analysis of my chances. People got pulled on friday, therefore the first round of acceptances have been sent out (via email). So I figure that applicants will have approx. 2 weeks to respond to the offers...therefore I probably shouldn't even expect an email until the 18th or so.

I figure there would be no point to sending out emails one at a time, they probably just did it in bulk. It will take a few weeks to here back from people at which point they will hold another meeting, so in the mean time the chances of hearing will be very low. I guess my theory will be shot down (and I hope that it will be shot down) if people start hearing in pieces, like a few people get emails on monday a few people hear on thursday etc.

Also one other thing. If you let a school know that they are your TOP choice then wouldn't it be in their interest to offer it to other people that they like more than you and keep you as a safety. I mean if they know they can have you at any time...what's the rush?

nah izzy.

i don't think you are being overly pessimistic. you are probably bang on. i'm not holding my breath. i'm just trying very very hard not to loose hope here. I'm so relieved it is finally moving. it was driving me crazy already.

i guess only time will tell if your theory stands.

Like I said, keep the updates and the theories coming gang.

Here's to hoping.

Hey guys, keep heart. Seems like the movement just started, with much more to go. Here's an excerpt from an email that Director Bailey sent out a few days ago to the accepted applicants: "If you have decided to go to another institution and are receiving this e-mail after notifying us of such, please ignore this message. As you can imagine, our class list is very active right now with additions and deletions." So it definitely looks like the admissions office is going to be enthusiastically dipping into the waitlist.

I wish everyone the best of luck. MSSM is an amazing place. I hope to see all of y'all in the fall! :horns:

Hey thanks for the morale boost Flash....I think we all needed that! Hang in there everyone...! :luck: