Mount Sinai's Master's in Biomedical Science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nonamesleft

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone (or does anyone know people) who are either attending the program this coming August or are already in the program?

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone (or does anyone know people) who are either attending the program this coming August or are already in the program?

bump.

Can anyone offer input on this? I'm hoping to gain some information with regards to the intangibles such as the support system available to students, the degree of difficulty of classes, etc from someone other than the admissions committee...

I got accepted and I think I'll be attending. They offer MCAT tutoring. Do you know anything else in terms of course work and competitvenes?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted and I think I'll be attending. They offer MCAT tutoring. Do you know anything else in terms of course work and competitvenes?

Congrats! I don't know much..here's the emailed response I got back from Dr. Rifkin:

What is the class size for the program, and how many of these students have historically been accepted to MD programs, and how many to MD/PhD programs? We aim to have a class size of 20 students – in the class that started two years ago, we didn’t have anyone applying to MD/PhD programs – 10 are going to an MD program, 2 are going to a DO program, 1 is joining our PhD program, 3 are applying to MD programs now, 2 are still finishing their Masters, and 2 withdrew.

Since medical school admissions is extremely competitive, and admissions committees usually use grades as a measuring tool, what is the class average of students in the program?

I have no idea what the class average is – my sense is that it somewhere around a B+ since that is the mean for most of our courses – but it also depends on which courses you take

It is great news that students who score above 34 will receive an interview to Mount Sinai School of Medicine. However, how many of these students have been accepted to MSSM?

All – sometimes they are put on the waitlist first – but acceptance is not only dependent on academics and scores
^ this one was a really cool statistic for me...and made the program very tempting for me. However, I recently got off a waitlist to med school, so I won't be attending MSSM MBS program.
Hopefully this information will be helpful to others who are interested in the program!:)

is this still the case this year??
i just got accepted :)

I was just wondering why this program is one of the least discussed. Is it because it's not like the special masters programs where the classes mirror med school curricula? Is anyone else accepted/planning on attending either the MBS or the PREP-Med track? Could anyone who is currently in or completed the program PM me?

I was just wondering why this program is one of the least discussed. Is it because it's not like the special masters programs where the classes mirror med school curricula? Is anyone else accepted/planning on attending either the MBS or the PREP-Med track? Could anyone who is currently in or completed the program PM me?

No it is not an SMP. And classes do not mirror med school, they are more geared towards research and therefore md/phd as their website states I think.

I was accepted and just visited and was very impressed, but I don't think it is the program for me.

I PM'd you some more details for your help

i was accepted to this program but i def need to visit before i make a decision... does anyone have any input on this program that they would be willing to share with me? Either on their thoughts of the program or what they've heard.. It would be super helpful!

I also was accepted to this program and the Loyola MAMS Program-- was wondering if anyone had any input on this program, because I haven't found all that much online. Also was wondering where most students end up living?