move from CA to PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

water112

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone...I might be going to PCOM or LECOM's post bacc programs...haven't decided which one. I'm mostly concerned with the actual move. Due to my work schedule, I may not be able to drive there, so I was wondering if any one can recommend movers/moving companies that are decently priced. Also, what was your experience with the whole process? Hassle-free? Expensive? Any suggestion or advice is greatly appreciated.

thanks.....water

Members don't see this ad.

Hello water, I'm applying to both Post-bac also and facing the same problem (Moving from TX to PA). When are you planning to move and have you been to any of the schools?

By the way, have you finished you apps.
Keith

I was just curious if you guys actually applied? Also, how many times did you apply to medical school before actually taking the post-bacc route? Thanks.

Fred

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Fozzy40,

I applied once to the Texas shcools (hence, I live in San Antonio, TX) and got waitlisted and know I'm applying to the Post-Bac. This is a big move for me, but hopefully it will pay off.
Incarnate

The reason that I ask is I am wondering if I am entering the post-bacc route too soon. I just graduated from my undergrad institution in May 2001 and applied to med school for Fall of 2002. I did not do as well on the mcats as I know I could have and I am trying to do something radical to improve my chances next time around. I have been waitlisted at NYCOM but I do not want to bank on that. Any opinions?

Fred

No. I personally think the Post-Bac will only prove that you can handle medical school and all of its rigors. I also think that maybe you should retake the MCAT (as I am) if you feel that you can do better. By the way, what is the code for Lake Erie so that I can send my MCAT scores to them.
Incarnate

I am not sure what the code is for LECOM. I applied to LECOM's DO so the person I was talking with said that she would just get my MCATs from the admissions dept. Maybe you should email the lady I spoke to. Her name is Laura Sloan and she is very nice and good about getting back to you. Her email addy is [email protected]. Hope this helps!

Fred

Thanks Fozzy,
So did you apply to DO schools for this year or just the Post-Bac. I started the process of applying and then stopped. I decided to strengthen my app before applying this coming year. So when are you going to be moving out to Erie. Have you been to visit yet.

Incarnate

Hi everyone,
being that I am currently a post-bacc, I thought I would let you guys know what my experince has been like. I graduated last year, and had applied to med schools for last year's entering class. My GPA was quite low (3.0), but my MCAT scores were fairly high (32T). However, I did not get in....didn't even get any interviews, which was not much of a surprise. Anyway, I applied to the post-bacc program at MCP Hahnemann Univ, in Philadelphia. They have two programs, one for those who haven't had much science and/or have done poorly on MCATs, and one for those who did not do well in undergrad but have had all the required science classes. I am in the latter program, and we take the same classes as first year med students. Thus far, I have had two interviews and have been accepted to one school (UHS), and I must credit my performance at this post-bacc program for that.
My advice to anyone in my situation is this - if you haven't done well in undergrad but are confident that you have the capability to handle med school work, and are absolutely sure that medicine is the way you want to go, then take the post-bacc route. I am not sure about other programs, but MCP Hahnemann has a one and two year program - most, including myself, will be leaving after one year because we have been accepted to med school, but there are others who either did not apply to med school this year, or were not accepted. Many of them will be staying for the second year, and will earn an MS at the end of the second year. From what we are told, the acceptance rate for med school for both years combined is approx. 90%.
Hope that helps! Good luck to all of you in your pursuits.

I want to correct some points that Qafas made. First of all the MCPHU IMS program only takes 75% of the 1st year courses (minus gross, genetics, some clinical things, behavior...) Second; tradionally the 1-year post-bacs have a 60-80% success rate while the Masters students have a 92-100% success rate.