movies/tv shows about pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spoons

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, are there any tv shows/movies about pharmacist? I've seen handful of shows that glorify JDs, MDs, RNs, and DDSs, but I have yet to see anything that deal with pharmacists :(

Members don't see this ad.

There used to be a skit about a pharmacist on an old TV show called Fridays, back in the early 80's. It was ABC's answer to SNL. The pharmacist was seriously into drugs and was wacked out all of the time.

This is from an episode of Seinfeld during his opening monologue:

"Can you give me an explanation as to why the pharmacist has to be two-and-a-half feet up above everybody else? What the hell is he doing, he can't be down there on the floor with you and me? Brain surgeons, airline pilots, nuclear physicists, we're all on the same level. Oh no, he's gotta be two-and-a-half feet up. "Look out, everybody, I'm working with pills. Spread out, give me some room." The only hard part of his whole job that I could see is typing
everything onto that little tiny label. He has to try and get all the words on
there, keep the paper in the- it's a little piece of paper, in the roller of the
typewriter. Oh no, he's gotta be two-and-a-half feet up. "Yeah, I'd like to
get this prescription filled." "Alright, and you wait down there, only I'm
allowed up here."

:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, if they only knew... :rolleyes:

Isn't the typical "two-feet-up" thing so the pharmacists/techs can see the patients/customers that come into the pharmacy? I mean, where I work, we're not two feet up, and on rare occassion we don't see everyone that comes into the store. Thank goodness for that bell...at least it helps. :p

pharmtech77 said:
Oh, if they only knew... :rolleyes:

Isn't the typical "two-feet-up" thing so the pharmacists/techs can see the patients/customers that come into the pharmacy? I mean, where I work, we're not two feet up, and on rare occassion we don't see everyone that comes into the store. Thank goodness for that bell...at least it helps. :p
I haven't seen that thing for quite a while, but I think it was useful when pharmacists actually owned/managed the stores that they worked in. It's just the like "office" being higher in drug and grocery stores.

The only time I've seen a pharmacist being portrayed on TV lately was in an episode from the first season of "Curb Your Enthusiasm", when Larry David loses his wife's prescription for some dermatitis remedy. In other shows where you would think pharmacists ought to be shown, they aren't. Drugs magically appear in the drug locker on every episode of E.R., for instance.

In one of David Feldman's "Imponderables" books, he wrote that, in the old days, when the pharmacy wasn't the retail hell it is today, the pharmacist was higher and at the back of the store so s/he could see everyone coming in, and be more likely to see shoplifters.

I haven't really come across pharmacy related entertainment *sad*

BUT...I have read some manga [japanese comic] that sort of revolves around pharmacy. The main characters work inside a pharmacy. Their duties usually include cleaning up the place and restocking items. However, to earn some more cash their boss, the Pharmacist, usually seens them off on strange and usual assignments. I haven't gotten far, but it's pretty good ^^

If you're into reading manga, or comics of any sort, then check it out. It called Gohou Drug. It should be released in the US sometime later this year, by which the name will probably be changed to Legal Drug.

LVPharm said:
The only time I've seen a pharmacist being portrayed on TV lately was in an episode from the first season of "Curb Your Enthusiasm", when Larry David loses his wife's prescription for some dermatitis remedy.

"Curb Your Enthusiasm" is one of THE BEST shows I've seen in a VERY long time. ;-)

Back to the topic of the thread (sort of), I just watched Gothika, and I had to laugh out loud when the doctor ordered that a patient be given 40 mg (!!!) of Ativan. :eek:

How about the RPh in Natural Born Killers? Bear in mind it is a negative image. :smuggrin:

There is an Rph skit on SNL....
So much for HIPAA.....

I honestly don't see how they can make an exciting show about a pharmacist. Sure maybe a star can be a pharmacist, but to revolve a whole show around it? I just can't see it being done. ER/doctors/nurses are a totally different matter.

One of the McKinsey brothers played a pharmacist on Grace Under Fire and there were some recurring jokes about it, but it was never the center of the show.

bbmuffin said:
There is an Rph skit on SNL....
So much for HIPAA.....
"You can go ahead and get your 'gina cream baby."

Members don't see this ad :)
pharmel said:
"You can go ahead and get your 'gina cream baby."
"Price check on Vag... Vag... What is this word? Vagina cream at the pharmacy please."

Peter's friend on "Family Guy" is a pharmasist... he is a huge nerd with red, curly hair and thick glasses with a really nasal voice, I can't remember his name though..

I was just playing GTA3: Vice City, and shot the pharmacist.

From the lesson I learn from theater art class, in making a story, you've got to have a drama, something to be told in the play. In pharmacy case, I don't really see any real drama that can be thrilling and exciting because it's like an everyday life: filling out prescriptions, checking out the drug lists, communicating with patients, physicians, etc.

But for doctors, surgeons, they have more threatening situation because they have to save lives of others, which triggers drama and conflict.

;)
:mad:

Btw, in one serial of Friends, there's a story when the pharmacists are having a party and Joey said, "Pharmacists are cool!"

spoons said:
Just curious, are there any tv shows/movies about pharmacist? I've seen handful of shows that glorify JDs, MDs, RNs, and DDSs, but I have yet to see anything that deal with pharmacists :(

Wasn't there a show in the '80s or '90s with Brett Butler (an actress), I think it was called "Grace Under Fire" ?? :confused: and one of the main characters had his own independent pharmacy.

Also, in the movie "Gloria" with Sharon Stone, there's one scene where the kid needs an inhaler for his asthma attack. Stone walks into a pharmacy and asks for some albuterol. The RPh refuses as it is not OTC. She slips him a "prescription" from Dr Ben Franklin and gets it.

And there was an obscure movie about a black out and the terror for one family that ensues. The kid needs some amoxicillin but the pharmacist, who is portrayed as an a*&hole, won't give up the pink stuff. The father ends up sneaking in and stealing it while the pharmacist is dealing with a line of other angry patients.

Unlike doctors and lawyers where they TV/movies can make their jobs look dramatic and full of action, the same can't be done with Pharmacists. At the end of the day, the general public probably sees us as just someone who "count pills and puts stickers on bottles".

Unless however, that Pharmacist is evil! That would make it interesting! :laugh:

Unless however, that Pharmacist is evil! That would make it interesting! :laugh:

There was that one episode of CSI (or one of the Law & Orders) about the pharmacist who was selling diluted medications.

i think they could fit a clinical pharmaist on ER.. they could show how some people resist the idea of a pharmacist on the floor atfirst..but then eventualy see how that people in our profession can make a meaningful contribution.... the pharmacist would also be much cooler then MD's since he/she has the time to live a well rounded life :laugh: :p

badxmojo said:
i think they could fit a clinical pharmaist on ER.. :p

What pharmacist in his/her right mind would want to work at an ER where every other year a helicopter falls on the staff, people drive tanks into it, half of the staff becomes drug addicts, patients are allowed to beat up/stab/shoot the staff...

That is one messed up hospital.