Moving Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KBCoch

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for those of you who made a major move to medical school, particularly those who had a lot of furnishing type stuff, what is your advice?

Ship stuff? Uhaul stuff? Forget it and find new stuff when you get there?

I have a large futon, kitchen table, and other stuff that I'd love to take with me. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do so or if it's even worth it.

Thanks, all. Any and all moving advice appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

How far do you have to move, who can help you, and what's your budget like? I moved only 300 miles. I checked prices on hiring a mover- I have books, bookcases, a bed, a desk... enough stuff to furnish a one bedroom apartment. Movers were going to charge $1500 and were actually not very convenient about being able to set moving dates. After seeing all of the $19.95/day ads for U-haul, though, I was shocked at the price of renting a truck for city to city- around $400. My dad helped me move and I rented the truck. In retrospect, it might have made more sense to get rid of the furniture, pack my car full, and ship what didn't fit. Used furniture is very cheap and during first year, you really will have the time to shop.

I'm moving from Mass to Cleveland. I may have a job in Cleveland for the summer, but I would be living in a dorm room, so all the apt stuff that I take out I would probably have to put in a storage locker for the summer. I'm thinking I'll just get a little uhaul trailer and hitch it to the back of my car. Fill both with the biggest, heaviest stuff and have my smaller, lighter things shipped at the end of the summer when I actually move to the apt. The only big furniture type things I have are a nice wooden futon, a wooden kitchen table and a dresser. Those will probably fit in the trailer. The bed/desk and whatnot I can get when I'm out there.

This feels like the cheapest and easiest way to do things. Sound reasonable?

I moved totally cross-country (California to Ohio) last summer for school. You might want to check out what www.upack.com has to offer. YOU load your stuff into their trailer, they drive it to where it needs to go pretty much in every major city in the US, they YOU unload it. I did my entire 1 bedroom apartment for about $1000. I thought it was a good deal, since it saved me having to find all new stuff in a new city in a short period of time before school started.