Moving after Dec 1st to get In-State tuition after 6 months?

John Durian

Durio zibethinus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Alright, I did the search. The question is a little bit different as most people ask about establishing residency after ONE full year before matriculating or after paying for OOS tuition the first year of dental school.

My question is, if accepted on Dec 1st, can we move there say January so that we would complete the 1 year residency requirement "early"? I'm asking this because I noticed most schools split their tuition into what looks like TWO semester payments.

So we move there 6 months before matriculating, spend a semester (another 6 months) paying OOS tuition (first half of D1), and then get In-State tuition for the next semester (second half of D1). Possible?

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
some schools will not grant you in-state residency for as long as you are a student at that school (so the entire 4 years is counted as out-of-state student)

Michigan is a perfect example, the 4 year OOS students pay 50k each year.

On the other hand, New York (state) is different. After you live there for 1 year, you have an option to change your residency to in-state and change your tution to in-state as well.... I learned this from my buffalo interview last september

OP
John Durian

John Durian

Durio zibethinus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2008
Status
Dental Student
some schools will not grant you in-state residency for as long as you are a student at that school (so the entire 4 years is counted as out-of-state student)

Michigan is a perfect example, the 4 year OOS students pay 50k each year.

On the other hand, New York (state) is different. After you live there for 1 year, you have an option to change your residency to in-state and change your tution to in-state as well.... I learned this from my buffalo interview last september
So, I WILL be able to get in-state tuition for the second half of D1 so long as the "1 year" requirement is met? (For applicable schools/states that allow this of course).

polkadds

5+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2009
Status
Dental Student
For the schools that allow a residency change after 1 year, Yes you should be able to claim residency half way through D1. The problem you may run in to is the school will most likely bill your entire year as an out of state resident because the determination is made at the first of the school year. Check out the specific school your referring to, but good luck either way!

AmpedUp

The Legend Still Lives
7+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2009
Status
Dentist
I know that if you get accepted to Iowa as an OOS, there's no possible way of becoming a resident unless you take a year off of school (or go part-time) and work. Income tax, property tax, etc won't even matter if your intentions are to come to Iowa for school. Oh well...it's not so bad.

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
wherever I go, there I am
Status
Attending Physician
You'll have to ask that particular school what the state regulations are. They're the only ones who are going to be able to give you a reliable answer.

Maygyver

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
I thought about doing this if i get into UNC. If you are able to get in state after living there for 1 year, I don't see why it should be a problem.

LEF

Jul 3, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I asked this question explicitly in UMDNJ and they said that they only recalculate tuition between years. :(

map142

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2010
Status
Dental Student
Does anyone happen to know if there are any other schools that do something similar to Buffalo?