Moving cross country ... advice plz!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kuhlguy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've looked at previous threads but they werent helpful really

im moving from LA to Chicago and was planning on driving ... problem is that I can't fit all my stuff in my car (small civic)

would u suggest just shipping my car (my sis did this when she moved from LA to DC) and the stuff or do u think i should just drive to Chicago and try and cram as much in my civic

i guess im also concered about driving with a weighted down civic ... its a new civic so im not afraid of it breaking down ... just think that i might be pushing it a lil ...

any advice would be much apprecaited!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Check out either renting a POD or a Relocube (ABF). The relocube (i'm using this next month) is a smaller storage unit that ABF will ship for you at a reasonable price. You simply pack it up and call ABF and they will come pick up the Relocube and either store it or deliver it. It's a great alternative, and although I have not used this service yet, there are a ton of great reviews out there for ABF and the U-Pack service.

For me, I'm packing up the cube over the weekend and then driving 10 hrs to my new apartment. Then the cube will be delivered and I can unpack at my new place. Sweet deal and no driving moving trucks, etc.

http://www.upack.com/

Members don't see this ad :)
Take multiple trips in the civic!*

*advice may be slightly more applicable to moving across the street than moving across the country

Ship the Civic. It may cost $700-1000. Or you can sell it and buy another car in Chicago. I don't think you would need a car in Chicago anyway.
Ship your belongings. I'm using Upack Relocube for $2400 (1 cube) for a move from CA to NY. Or you can use a truck mover, probably costs around $1000 and up.