Moving cross country

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sara223344

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any of you guys doing it this year/have done it?
I'm daunted by the process lol. How does one get their car/crap across??

Members don't see this ad.

Personally I'm packing my car with clothes/books/essentials and getting rid of furniture etc.. on craigslist and starting over. I don't have several thousands dollars worth of stuff to justify the moving cost (truck + gas or pod).

If the place I was going had good public transport, I'd sell the car and fly there with a few essentials.

To each their own though :)

Members don't see this ad :)
^^

Good tip, thanks! If I were flying and leaving most things behind the books would be my main worry, airlines aren't too kind with weight limits and extra baggage.

http://www.movingscam.com/

everyone needs to take a look at this site

there are a lot of shady movers and old freight legislation that lets them get away with bull**** . . . stick with reputable mainline movers if going with a vanline (reviews for your area at the above website)

PODS and AFB U-Pack are other options where you pack your stuff and someone else ships it . . . I prefer AFB (and no I do not own stock) because I think they have the better customer service.

Driving your car is the best way to get it where you want it. There are car movers reviewed at the above link as well.

I rented the largest Budget truck with car dolley and carried my wife's car and she drove my vehicle with our dogs. It cost around $1000 plus gas----budget truck came filled up--about 65 gallons. I chose Budget over others such as U-Haul, etc because of cost. They also had a 20% off coupon on website. Hope this helps some.

I'm thinking along same lines, ship my car our, get rid of furniture, and pack two giant suit cases with as much as I can. Thanks for the USPS idea btw! That's gold.
Akh, I dont have enough stuff to justify a POD, but more than what can fit in an airline restriction... Guess pay for extra luggage?

I shipped my car when I moved, and it was super expensive. If you can swing it at all just drive it. The shipper we used, whose name I forget or I would tell you, was good, but they broke the inside of my trunk, which I didn't notice until so much time had passed that when I filed the claim they said too much time had passed and they denied it. So we paid an obscene amount of money plus another $250 to fix the trunk.

Moral of my fascinating story: when they drop off your car check EVERYTHING. Unpack it right there with the guy waiting. Turn on the lights, the windshield wipers, etc. Check everything.

I agree with my good friend JDH71. I used AFB to move to medical school and again for residency. They were great both times and way way cheaper than any other option. I actually did terminal to terminal where I brought all my stuff in a truck to the shipping terminal and loaded it directly with the help of some friends. worked great. super cheap. The other option which I have done is to ship via amtrak. This was cheap and I seem to recall you prepare a pallet or can bring individual bags.

I agree with my good friend JDH71. I used AFB to move to medical school and again for residency. They were great both times and way way cheaper than any other option. I actually did terminal to terminal where I brought all my stuff in a truck to the shipping terminal and loaded it directly with the help of some friends. worked great. super cheap. The other option which I have done is to ship via amtrak. This was cheap and I seem to recall you prepare a pallet or can bring individual bags.

please excuse my ignorance but what does AFB stand for?