Moving from NY to FL? Has anyone used reputable movers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rani82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hope you all are doing well! I was wondering if anyone has used any reputable (and REASONABLE) movers recently. I will be moving from New York, NY to Fort Lauderdale, FL in July and I wanted to get some recommendations from people that have already done it!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I looked at using movers to move out of my apartment in undergrad once. I dont know about you, but as a college student, I don't have vey nice furniture. It turned out that I would have been cheaper for me to just drag all my belongings out into the parking lot, set them on fire, and buy all new stuff.

I ended up doing it all myself thanks to UHaul and some good friends. Professional movers were WAY too expensive on my student loan budget.

One of the couples I know here is moving from Florida to Portland in two weeks. It was cheaper for them to sell all their furniture to other students and on Craigslist and then buy new furniture when they get there.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm moving from north NJ to ft. lauderdale in July with my boyfriend. we're picking up most of our furniture there but what we will be bringing, we're doing ourselves. probably renting a trailer or uhaul. we have to bring 2 cars down too. everytime i think about the drive i get irritated but it's happening before we know it. does anyone have any suggestions?​

i'm moving from north NJ to ft. lauderdale in July with my boyfriend. we're picking up most of our furniture there but what we will be bringing, we're doing ourselves. probably renting a trailer or uhaul. we have to bring 2 cars down too. everytime i think about the drive i get irritated but it's happening before we know it. does anyone have any suggestions?​

I have made 3 cross country moves in my lifetime. There are services out there that specifically move cars. They load them up onto transport vehicles and just ship them out. The rates are very reasonable. In fact, it is probably worth it for what you will save on gas, and the headache of driving yourself.

With respect to movers....movers are like used car salesman. They will screw you over more often than not. That being said, I NEVER move anymore without using movers. Throughout my undergraduate and optometry school career I moved probably about a dozen times. Movers are not cheap, but considering the work they do, for me it was always some of the best money that I EVER spent. I recomment them highly. I have always used Atlas Van Lines. They are a national company with local dealers.

The key to a successful move is to allow time lattitude on both ends. For example, if you HAVE to be out of your apartment on July 30th, do NOT schedule the move for July 30th, or even the 29th. Schedule it for the 25th to allow for some "screw up factor."

Same thing on the other end. If you start school on September 10th, dont have your movers come with your stuff on September 9th. Have them come on the 4th or 5th. That way, if they are late, or there is some snafu you have a few days buffer zone.

Movers.....its the way to go man. Don't bust your ass humping crap. Pay someone else to do it. Totally worth every cent.:thumbup:

thanks for the advice! i'll look into rates and services soon

I have made 3 cross country moves in my lifetime. There are services out there that specifically move cars. They load them up onto transport vehicles and just ship them out. The rates are very reasonable. In fact, it is probably worth it for what you will save on gas, and the headache of driving yourself.

With respect to movers....movers are like used car salesman. They will screw you over more often than not. That being said, I NEVER move anymore without using movers. Throughout my undergraduate and optometry school career I moved probably about a dozen times. Movers are not cheap, but considering the work they do, for me it was always some of the best money that I EVER spent. I recomment them highly. I have always used Atlas Van Lines. They are a national company with local dealers.

The key to a successful move is to allow time lattitude on both ends. For example, if you HAVE to be out of your apartment on July 30th, do NOT schedule the move for July 30th, or even the 29th. Schedule it for the 25th to allow for some "screw up factor."

Same thing on the other end. If you start school on September 10th, dont have your movers come with your stuff on September 9th. Have them come on the 4th or 5th. That way, if they are late, or there is some snafu you have a few days buffer zone.

Movers.....its the way to go man. Don't bust your ass humping crap. Pay someone else to do it. Totally worth every cent.:thumbup:

Like you, I have moved too many times to count (cross-country as well). This is even before starting school in the fall. I have always been a minimalist and only take what I can fit in my car. That's it. Whenever I get to a "new" place I get any furnishings I need at the Salvation Army or on Craigslist (or colleagues who love giving stuff away). Clothes, books, pillows, blankets, and personal stuff/papers is about all I take along. Maybe that will change with graduation, having a steady job and income...but I'll enjoy the hermit life for the next four to five years. I guess not everybody can do this (much easier for a bachelor) and are relegated to hauling stuff cross country.

Every time I move I am reminded that people collect way to much junk for their own good.