Moving from S. Cal to Kirksville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kshea

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have started to look into moving my stuff from Southern CA to Kirksville and it is a lot more expensive than I had anticipated. I wanted to see if anyone else was making that move who might be interested in somehow sharing to cut costs. Or any other suggestions so I don't blow tons of money making this move. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to rent a Uhaul to move all of your stuff - talk to "Budget". I got a truck (15') and a trailer (for my car) for $325. That's just about as low as it gets. I'll be moving in the opposite direction.

I did make reservations a few months back wh/ the prices were low. Those prices might not apply today.
--Nicolas--
WesternU'03

Boy, SoCal--->Kirkesville...

Well, look at it this way: You'll be VERY busy the first two years of medical school.
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi-

I'm planning on moving from so. cal (irvine) to uhs/com (kansas city). I'm currently researching prices and i agree it's too expensive. The best estimate that i got is $550 for 1000lb (minimum wt. requirement). They told me the larger the weight the cheaper the rate will be. For instance at the bare minimum of 1000 lb. it's $0.55/lb. At 2000lb. it'll be $0.50/lb (=$1000).

If you're interested, we can add up all of our stuff to get a lower rate. I'm also talking with a fellow student who's also moving from irvine to uhs so it's possible that we can somehow fanagle an even cheaper price/ rate. Since you will be going to kirksville, and not k.c i don't know how they're going to deal with that. K.C is a bigger city than kirksville and it'll be an extra stop so i don't know if they'll charge extra or not. Nevertheless, they told me it'll take about 6-17 days and they wrap everything for you.

The company is called Mr. Move Inc and i found them in the yellow pages. The number is 1-800-667-6683. They claim that they will beat any price. I'm going to continue researching for a better deal but like i said this is the lowest so far. Everywhere else, the range is about $700-900. If you have any questions or want to talk some more please e-mail me at [email protected].

-tommy

[This message has been edited by TP (edited June 10, 1999).]

Whatever you do, MAKE YOUR RENTAL TRUCK RESERVATIONS EARLY!!! I paid $425 for a 26' foot Ryder truck plus $75 for a car dolley. I got those rates by making reservations 5~6 weeks in advance. Had a I waited until 10 days prior to my move...it would have been $975 for the truck alone. That was from Dallas to K'Ville.

Also, another $$ saver...if you have a front-wheel drive car, rent a car dolley. They are about $100 cheaper than the full trailer.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03