1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving from S. Cal to Kirksville

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by kshea, Jun 9, 1999.

1. kshea

kshea Junior Member

Hi

I have started to look into moving my stuff from Southern CA to Kirksville and it is a lot more expensive than I had anticipated. I wanted to see if anyone else was making that move who might be interested in somehow sharing to cut costs. Or any other suggestions so I don't blow tons of money making this move. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. NickCVM

NickCVM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

If you want to rent a Uhaul to move all of your stuff - talk to "Budget". I got a truck (15') and a trailer (for my car) for $325. That's just about as low as it gets. I'll be moving in the opposite direction.

I did make reservations a few months back wh/ the prices were low. Those prices might not apply today.
    --Nicolas--
    WesternU'03

4. drusso

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Boy, SoCal--->Kirkesville...

Well, look at it this way: You'll be VERY busy the first two years of medical school. [​IMG]

5. TP

TP Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi-

I'm planning on moving from so. cal (irvine) to uhs/com (kansas city). I'm currently researching prices and i agree it's too expensive. The best estimate that i got is $550 for 1000lb (minimum wt. requirement). They told me the larger the weight the cheaper the rate will be. For instance at the bare minimum of 1000 lb. it's $0.55/lb. At 2000lb. it'll be $0.50/lb (=$1000).

If you're interested, we can add up all of our stuff to get a lower rate. I'm also talking with a fellow student who's also moving from irvine to uhs so it's possible that we can somehow fanagle an even cheaper price/ rate. Since you will be going to kirksville, and not k.c i don't know how they're going to deal with that. K.C is a bigger city than kirksville and it'll be an extra stop so i don't know if they'll charge extra or not. Nevertheless, they told me it'll take about 6-17 days and they wrap everything for you.

The company is called Mr. Move Inc and i found them in the yellow pages. The number is 1-800-667-6683. They claim that they will beat any price. I'm going to continue researching for a better deal but like i said this is the lowest so far. Everywhere else, the range is about $700-900. If you have any questions or want to talk some more please e-mail me at [email protected]

-tommy

[This message has been edited by TP (edited June 10, 1999).]

6. OldManDave

OldManDave Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Whatever you do, MAKE YOUR RENTAL TRUCK RESERVATIONS EARLY!!! I paid $425 for a 26' foot Ryder truck plus $75 for a car dolley. I got those rates by making reservations 5~6 weeks in advance. Had a I waited until 10 days prior to my move...it would have been $975 for the truck alone. That was from Dallas to K'Ville.

Also, another $$ saver...if you have a front-wheel drive car, rent a car dolley. They are about $100 cheaper than the full trailer.

------------------
    'Old Man Dave'
    KCOM, Class of '03