tesla123

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2005
92
0
Status
Ok, I haven't heard from a few schools that I am obsessed with and I am having some trouble "moving on." Although I still have a few days left to hear, what should I do to speed up the healing process and accept the 99% possibility that I am rejected? This is the second time I have "played the admissions game" and I am starting to feel like a puppet. This is a serious post guys, I am really upset here. :(
 

Sparky Man

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2004
445
0
Status
Medical Student
tesla123 said:
Ok, I haven't heard from a few schools that I am obsessed with and I am having some trouble "moving on." Although I still have a few days left to hear, what should I do to speed up the healing process and accept the 99% possibility that I am rejected? This is the second time I have "played the admissions game" and I am starting to feel like a puppet. This is a serious post guys, I am really upset here. :(
so if you don't hear from these school you are obsessed with, you have no other options (other schools)? i have to agree with you, the application process sucks. seems so random.

try to chill out, tesla. it's easy to lose perspective. of course, i can't even follow my own advice... I hope you get in. good luck & don't give up yet.
 
OP
T

tesla123

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2005
92
0
Status
Sparky Man said:
so if you don't hear from these school you are obsessed with, you have no other options (other schools)? i have to agree with you, the application process sucks. seems so random.

try to chill out, tesla. it's easy to lose perspective. of course, i can't even follow my own advice... I hope you get in. good luck & don't give up yet.
I was accepted to the university of illinois, but I am an out-of-state applicant so the tuition is really high for me. I was hoping to get into my state school or maybe some private schools (hence the repetitive Yale post). I do have one acceptance at an allopathic school and an osteopathic school, so it makes this process seem easier.

My main problem is the fact that I visited a lot of the schools I applied to and the admin told me would be comptetitive if I did X,Y,Z. After doing a lot of what they said, I didn't even get into my state school (UCONN).

I am really grateful for U of I, but freaked out by the tuition. Thanks for your support. :)
 

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
1,028
1
Status
tesla123 said:
Ok, I haven't heard from a few schools that I am obsessed with and I am having some trouble "moving on." Although I still have a few days left to hear, what should I do to speed up the healing process and accept the 99% possibility that I am rejected? This is the second time I have "played the admissions game" and I am starting to feel like a puppet. This is a serious post guys, I am really upset here. :(
Are you on any waitlists? If so, maybe there is still some hope for you... The process, and rejection, truly do suck....and im not sure if there's anything you can do to completely get over the feeling of rejection, except to let time heal it.....dont give up tesla, im sure you will get there, keep your head up
 

myodana

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2004
614
1
41
BX, NY
Status
Medical Student
yes, i know the feeling well. my "strategy" i guess, is to stay neutral, and not really have any expectations. this process sucks, we all know it, and know that no matter what happens, you're obviously a bright person with a great future ahead. you'll get in somewhere. ("and doggone it, people like me!") just wait and see... watch some tv or something :)

ps - after finally getting into einstein, (my dad's alma mater) i went through a little panic attack. i thought, "what if it's just the legacy that got me in? what if i'm really not smart enough?" i guess my point is that no matter what happens, we are always going to play mental games with ourselves....
 
R

Revolution #9

Tuition sucks, yes, but you're going to be a doctor. Good luck with Yale, but cmon now - there is always Illinois.
 

Acherona

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2004
605
19
Status
Attending Physician
tesla123 said:
I was accepted to the university of illinois, but I am an out-of-state applicant so the tuition is really high for me. I was hoping to get into my state school or maybe some private schools (hence the repetitive Yale post). I do have one acceptance at an allopathic school and an osteopathic school, so it makes this process seem easier.

My main problem is the fact that I visited a lot of the schools I applied to and the admin told me would be comptetitive if I did X,Y,Z. After doing a lot of what they said, I didn't even get into my state school (UCONN).

I am really grateful for U of I, but freaked out by the tuition. Thanks for your support. :)
Out of state tuition is probably similar to that of private schools like Yale, no? Maybe try not to worry so much about the tuition, everyone is in the same boat accruing lots of debt but people manage. If the tuition weren't worth it, people wouldn't be paying it, right? And maybe it is possible to establish Illinois residency after a year or two?
 

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
8,510
6
Status
Medical Student
Acherona said:
Out of state tuition is probably similar to that of private schools like Yale, no? Maybe try not to worry so much about the tuition, everyone is in the same boat accruing lots of debt but people manage. If the tuition weren't worth it, people wouldn't be paying it, right? And maybe it is possible to establish Illinois residency after a year or two?
i would have thought out of state public was lower than private...no?
 

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
5,046
7
36
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Psycho Doctor said:
i would have thought out of state public was lower than private...no?
From my experience, no. :thumbdown:
 

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
8,510
6
Status
Medical Student
UCLAstudent said:
From my experience, no. :thumbdown:
wow really? i'm shocked; well that's very different from undergrad then
 

BAM!

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2004
633
187
Psycho Doctor said:
wow really? i'm shocked; well that's very different from undergrad then

I think that out of state public and privates are usually pretty comparable. There are the exceptions, however, Baylor, U Colorado, etc.
 

VFrank

Wildcat
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2004
429
1
Status
BAM! said:
I think that out of state public and privates are usually pretty comparable. There are the exceptions, however, Baylor, U Colorado, etc.
Yeah, what's UColorado? 60k? Outrageous.
 

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
5,046
7
36
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
VFrank said:
Yeah, what's UColorado? 60k? Outrageous.
I believe with living expenses the cost is ~80K (67K for tuition) :eek:
 

Medikit

Plastic Bag Middle Class
10+ Year Member
May 21, 2004
3,456
9
38
Status
Attending Physician
VFrank said:
Yeah, what's UColorado? 60k? Outrageous.
Apparently you can acheive residency after the first year and the final price is on par with most schools.

To the OP, getting rejected hurts a lot more than I thought it would. Especially post interview. I keep telling myself that it's not personal and that the majority of applicants I interviewed with seemed just as much or more qualified than myself. That doesn't stop the bad feelings from steam rolling you.
 
OP
T

tesla123

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2005
92
0
Status
To the OP, getting rejected hurts a lot more than I thought it would. Especially post interview. I keep telling myself that it's not personal and that the majority of applicants I interviewed with seemed just as much or more qualified than myself. That doesn't stop the bad feelings from steam rolling you.[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much for the great posts guys! :)
 

MeowMix

Explaining "Post-Call"
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2003
1,639
12
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
tesla123 said:
Ok, I haven't heard from a few schools that I am obsessed with and I am having some trouble "moving on." Although I still have a few days left to hear, what should I do to speed up the healing process and accept the 99% possibility that I am rejected? This is the second time I have "played the admissions game" and I am starting to feel like a puppet. This is a serious post guys, I am really upset here. :(
It's only the beginning of March, do not despair. I had a friend who applied 3x and finally got the call on the 4th day of orientation week. He is now doing very well in second year.

I started writing a nice post about acknowledging all your hard work during the application process, but then I saw that you already do have 2 acceptances. You are going to med school! Dwell on the positives, instead of sitting around being miserable that you did not get into your favorite school. I've done the miserable thing and it is a waste of time and energy.

As far as out of state tuition, I have a friend here at Colorado who is paying $70K tuition in his first year. He will get in-state in second year, but the money is certainly a big deal. Know that there are loan-forgiveness programs and military/NHSC scholarship options. Or defer for a year, go live in IL, and get in-state tuition.

P.S. if a girl/guy that you had the hots for wouldn't go out with you, and instead went out some dumb lameass you hated, would you sit around forever mourning?