Moving OOS -- How are you handling it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spilledmilk

<3
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As many of us are preparing to move to new states (or within the same state) I was hoping that we could share info. Does a thread like this already exist? apologies if it does...

Things I would love to hear from those of you who are about to move and those of you that have done this in years past:::

How are you completing your move? Are you using movers? Doing it all yourself? Chucking all your stuff and buying new stuff when you get there?

Or...have you had great service from a company worth mentioning or found an unbeatable deal on...

services for shipping your vehicle/furniture etc
moving companies
moving trucks
materials related to moving like boxes and other packing materials

What resources did you use to find a new place to live? Are you planning to live with roommates or without? Why?

Are you traveling with your stuff to the new location before you find a place to live...or visiting first to find a place...or picking a place without seeing it??

Personally, this is my first out of state move and I'm finding that all the details can be daunting...I guess I just want to hear what some *super smart and awesome* people in the same boat as me are planning to do.

Horror and success stories welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

As many of us are preparing to move to new states (or within the same state) I was hoping that we could share info. Does a thread like this already exist? apologies if it does...
Horror and success stories welcome!

I haven't thought about it much, but I do know I'm going to just buy stuff down at school. If I'm there for 4 years its worth buying a new mattress and some el cheapo furniture (although I'll try to get a furnished place if possible).

As far as roommates go, I hope to move in with a friend if he gets in.. if not then I might just go searching on here? I'd prefer to live with a roommate to keep costs down but also it will allow me to meet more people (through him). I feel that if I lived by myself I wouldn't get the opportunity to go out as much. Thats pretty much it... All I'll be taking down is some clothes and a computer. Granted, I'm a guy so I'm sure girls will bring their entire life with them.

If any of you are considering hiring movers or renting trucks to move long-distance, please check http://movingscam.com first. This site has helpful forums, a la SDN, devoted to discussion of general strategies for moving and specific moving companies.

The moving industry is rife with scammers. Deregulation and the Internet have encouraged the proliferation of scammers in recent years.

Members don't see this ad :)
If any of you are considering hiring movers to move long-distance, please check http://movingscam.com first. This site has helpful forums, a la SDN, devoted to discussion of general strategies for moving and specific moving companies.

The moving industry is rife with scammers. Deregulation and the Internet have encouraged the proliferation of scammers in recent years.

thanks! thats a site definitely worth checking out.

and to answer some of my own questions...

Well, I have a bunch of furniture (office, bedroom, living room) which is mostly brand new. Therefore, throwing it away and buying new stuff is not a great option for me. My tentative plan is to fly out there a few weeks before the actual move to find a place to live. I have too much stuff to tow it all out there with no place to unload.

As far as the actual move is concerned...that's tougher. If I can in some way afford it I would really like to pack my stuff up and have someone else drive it there with my car in tow so I can just fly out and meet my belongings there! Thats why I'm hoping some of you might know of some good services for this kind of situation, because what I've seen so far is ridiculous in cost! Plan B would be to drive it myself of course...but it's going to be a looong drive, and I don't particularly feel comfortable driving large vehicles =/.

why is moving such a pain in the ass?

why is moving such a pain in the ass?

Ah, I empathize!

My moving strategy is somewhat similar to yours. I'm using ABF for my move. The ABF concept is this: ABF brings an empty 27' trailer to your home. You and your helpers load the trailer with your stuff. You pay only for the space you use, measured by feet in the trailer. ABF takes the trailer to your new home. You and your helpers unload the trailer.

Typically, you have three days from the date ABF drops off your trailer to load and unload on either end. There are exceptions for some major cities.

I'm going with ABF partly because I don't trust myself to drive a 16' Penske truck 800+ miles. Also, ABF is one of the two highest-rated moving companies on http://movingscam.com.

MOVING:
For moving to another city in your state or a couple of states over, I'd highly suggest movers. I justed moved from MA to NY to settle before school starts. Movers make it much easier, especially if you have large items or stairs to deal with. The only thing is that they can be costly (mine cost about 1200 and that was one of the cheaper prices).

If you are moving cross country, then I'd suggesting selling your furniture now(if you have your own stuff) and buying stuff once you are in your new place. It's costly to ship things and unless you are really atteched to it, I'd say get it at school. I like to find stuff off craigslist (ie coffee tables, bookcases, not couches). I find IKEA to be overpriced, and stick to KMART/Target for other pieces of furniture. Flea markets are also awesome. If you are moving to the New England/MidAtlantic area, find a Christmas Tree Shop (http://www.christmastreeshops.com/) and you can find kitchen stuff and decorations for SO cheap.I find that once you move you always want new stuff anyways.

And once you are moved, you will need to purchase small things which add up fast...bathroom/kitchen cleaners, paper towels, dish rags, hangers. And groceries, I find the first grocery shop after a move is so much, but that's cuz I like to stock up on pasta, cereal, and canned goods.

As far as packaging materials, I think it is ludacris to buy cardboard boxes. I always stop by local drug stores and liquor stores, b/c they get rid of a ton of boxes each week. I used bubble wrap on only my really precious breakables and on the legs of tables and chairs. Everything else was wrapped in old magazines and newspapers.

ROOMMATES:
I've lived with both friends and strangers and have good and bad experiences with both. I have been living with my boyfriend for a year now (almost exactly :love:) and it has been great for the most part. I know I couldn't live by myself, not just because of cost, but because I just don't like being alone for too long.

Roommate-wise, I think you should try finding someone on one of the forums here or maybe the class facebook page. I guess it is hard to never meet a person and then live with them. Dorms on campus are an option, which it would be nice to be close to campus.

Housing:
We used a realtor to find my apartment. This usually requires a fee (ours was one months rent (1100). We went this route, only because I was in Boston and my bf was sleeping on a friends couch in NY, because he started his job. I never got to see the place in person until move-in day, but my bf did. I dont think I could move somewhere with out seeing it, only b/c I would want to check for any issues (leaky faucets, windows that don't close, etc.)

I think if you have the means to do so, come to school before you plan on moving to find a place. It would be one less stress to have a lease signed well before classes start. If you could move in a couple weeks before class that would also be good. It sucks to pack and then unpack, so I would personally want time to decompress. You'd get to relax during orientation when other people are stressing.

Anywoh, best of luck in our move.

I checked out their (ABF) price quotes and wow! what a relief. With my quick voodoo math estimations it would really only cost a little bit less if I did all the driving myself - so not worth it :)

I checked out their (ABF) price quotes and wow! what a relief. With my quick voodoo math estimations it would really only cost a little bit less if I did all the driving myself - so not worth it :)

I know what you mean. If you rent a moving truck, you have to pay to fuel it. They get wretched gas mileage, and I'd hate to see the price tag this summer. Plus, I'd personally be just too nervous driving a massive truck so far.

I did this last year when I moved...

I moved about 700 miles, I was moving out of my parents house so I didn't have a lot of furniture to bring, I only had a wooden bed frame with no mattress and a few other small pieces. I rented a large SUV one way, filled it with all the stuff I could fit in it and drove it. If you don't mind driving, it's super cheap (~$125 + gas) but obviously wouldn't work for someone with a lot of furniture or that needs a car where they're moving. I used Hertz because they have the cheapest one-way rental rates. The rate is even cheaper if you don't need the biggest SUV they make, too!

Bump... still figuring out what to do.

Ah, I empathize!

My moving strategy is somewhat similar to yours. I'm using ABF for my move. The ABF concept is this: ABF brings an empty 27' trailer to your home. You and your helpers load the trailer with your stuff. You pay only for the space you use, measured by feet in the trailer. ABF takes the trailer to your new home. You and your helpers unload the trailer.

Typically, you have three days from the date ABF drops off your trailer to load and unload on either end. There are exceptions for some major cities.

I'm going with ABF partly because I don't trust myself to drive a 16' Penske truck 800+ miles. Also, ABF is one of the two highest-rated moving companies on http://movingscam.com.

That's my plan as well. Do you have any insight into how far ahead I should reserve the trailer?

I also checked ABF, but they say the distance is not far enough. I will be moving in-state, however, it is a 500 mile trip. Anyone know of any other moving companies that offer good deals?

...I find IKEA to be overpriced, and stick to KMART/Target for other pieces of furniture...

Really? I went to IKEA for the first time ever last year and thought everything was really cheap.

The standing lamps at Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc were in the $70-$90 range, but at IKEA they were much less, some of the lower priced one coming in at around $30ish

I wasn't really looking at the other furniture much, but the kitchen tables were competitively priced as well

Members don't see this ad :)
I used a Relo cube from ABF. Worked pretty well, held an apartment worth of stuff just fine, got there on time and everything...

Do pack smart, though. I had some breakage that occurred due to shifting of items. Probably was unavoidable given the amount of stuff I was cramming into the cube, but worth mentioning.

I used a Relo cube from ABF. Worked pretty well, held an apartment worth of stuff just fine, got there on time and everything...

Do pack smart, though. I had some breakage that occurred due to shifting of items. Probably was unavoidable given the amount of stuff I was cramming into the cube, but worth mentioning.

How early did you reserve the relo cube?

They should also make a I'm from California and have to move across the country forum. I looked into ABF and it would be just about twice as expensive to do door to door things and if I did a terminal to terminal thing it would require having to rent a car or moving van. My plan was to fly into Chicago, rent a car, drive to Ikea in Chicago, then continue on up to Milwaukee. All of my furniture is from Ikea anyway, so selling it/giving it away isn't too big of a deal. The harder part is trying to ship my 42" tv to Milwaukee. Putting it in the hands of UPS or the USPS scares me...

They should also make a I'm from California and have to move across the country forum. I looked into ABF and it would be just about twice as expensive to do door to door things and if I did a terminal to terminal thing it would require having to rent a car or moving van. My plan was to fly into Chicago, rent a car, drive to Ikea in Chicago, then continue on up to Milwaukee. All of my furniture is from Ikea anyway, so selling it/giving it away isn't too big of a deal. The harder part is trying to ship my 42" tv to Milwaukee. Putting it in the hands of UPS or the USPS scares me...

You could insure the TV.

I'm going to be moving about 1000 miles in August. NOT looking forward to the moving process. Here's my current plan of attack:

Housing - I found roommates (with a house) via my school's online student forums / bulletin board. I had a friend who currently lives in the area check the place out for me.

Furniture - I'm selling what I have now (and leaving some with my boyfriend), then will be purchasing some cheap stuff after the move.

Moving - Since I'm getting rid of most of my household items, I'm planning on just shipping (probably UPS) several large boxes with my stuff. I've looked into the cost, and it seems to be the most affordable option.

I used the ABF trailer (too much for the cubes) with an initial estimate of 19 linear feet; I ended up using 24 (approx 71 for each additional foot). The trailer arrived as scheduled (with bulkhead and ramp) and is now in storage for a number weeks until I find a house. They charge an additional $395 per month for storage at their terminal.

I've been happy with ABF's service so far. I plan on hiring a moving service (and they recommend one - "Albert's" or something of the sort) to help unload when I'm ready. I also guess I was fortunate that I obtained a quote a couple months ago before the fuel costs skyrocketed further.

So far, I'd recommend ABF for all those considering it. :thumbup:

PS. Get your inexpensive renter's insurance in-place when you're loading - most policies cover your belongings wherever they might be located, including in trailers/storage - or even in various locations.

ABF trailers are illegal in a lot of places, because they constitute an unsecured load on wheels once they're released from the rig. Worth checking into with your city government - imagine the headache if you have legal trouble on moving day...

I'm doing PODS. My city requires that I buy a permit and get construction warning signs around the container while it's on the street. No yard, no driveway, not much else I can do.

ABF trailers are illegal in a lot of places, because they constitute an unsecured load on wheels once they're released from the rig. Worth checking into with your city government - imagine the headache if you have legal trouble on moving day...

I'm doing PODS. My city requires that I buy a permit and get construction warning signs around the container while it's on the street. No yard, no driveway, not much else I can do.

whoa, what a PITA. :thumbdown:

I am scared of the cost, the new culture, and the weather associated with a move out of SoCal to the East Coast, especially when starting med school.

Moving is painful!

As far as packaging materials, I think it is ludacris to buy cardboard boxes. I always stop by local drug stores and liquor stores, b/c they get rid of a ton of boxes each week.

I used to think that way but now I think it's way more efficient to have the same size boxes, faster in loading and easier to calculate space.

Moving: I'm using a service called Door-to-Door, on the recommendation of a friend. Basically, you load up a pod and they ship the stuff for you. More expensive than a Uhaul, but I need 8 weeks of storage, too, and I don't want to have to unload and re-load a truck.

Housing: I'm living by myself, because I'm old :) Seriously, though, I've lived 4 years post-college with a roommate, and I'm ready to be on my own. I'm apartment hunting on Craig's List.

Furniture: I already have an apartment full o' furniture, so I'm only buying a few new items. BTW, while Ikea's lower-end stuff doesn't last that long, I've purchased some fantastic, slightly more expensive Ikea stuff (although it's still cheap, because, well, it's Ikea) that has held up incredibly well. Like anything else, you just have to have an eye for quality.

I am scared of the cost, the new culture, and the weather associated with a move out of SoCal to the East Coast, especially when starting med school.

Moving is painful!

The weather in Virginia is nice! The summer's aren't too hot, the winter's aren't too cold. It's not Southern California by any stretch of the imagination but it's not that bad.

I'm moving from Pittsburgh, PA to Lake Charles, LA (~1300 miles) at the end of July, and I'm using PODS. Rental of the unit (8x8x16) for a month, shipping, and insurance is costing me about $2900 for a 2BR apartment.

ABF trailers are illegal in a lot of places, because they constitute an unsecured load on wheels once they're released from the rig.

This is somewhat rare and varies by city ordinance. Most city ordinances and residential neighborhoods (HOAs) will allow moving trailers to be parked on the street or in a driveway, at least has been the result of my research in 4 locales. However, for apartment dwellers, it's likely the trailer cannot be situated in the parking lot for greater than one day without special permission/arrangements.

In addition, the trucks/trailers that ABF uses are of high quality.

Without a doubt I saved a boatload over PODS, based on a corporate quote even. If it's of consequence, this was for a long-distance move, >1500 miles.

BTW - ABF will check your location to determine if there are any issues/code violations (at the city level) with regard to a trailer being deployed.

As has already been posted, [www.movingscam.com] is worth a looksie.:thumbup:

Yes, this can be a problem in some major cities. In Chicago, I can't have ABF park the trailer with my stuff on the street. I have to do a "live load," meaning I have two hours to unload my stuff while the driver of the trailer waits with the trailer. There is an ungodly surcharge for time over two hours... $30/per fifteen minutes or something like that.

So technically, it's not illegal for ABF to move my stuff in the city of Chicago. But timing the move is a LOT more difficult than it would be in most cities. Ultimately, it is more expensive, too, because I am paying tons extra for ABF to guarantee that the trailer will arrive within a one-hour time slot.

Ah, the joy of dense urban environments.

Has/Is anyone shipping their cars?? I'm moving from FL and CA and do not want to drive, esp. with gas prices creeping out over the summer. Any suggestions on companies?

Did an ABF relo-cube for an ~3k mile move. We hired a couple movers to help us pack it to the brim and it cost just under 3k. I should have spent more time deciding if would have been cheaper to sell what furniture we had and re-buy here. But I'm not sure what we would have done about clothes and all that other stuff you can't fit in your car. A friend of mine here had about a 2k mile move and went through 2 broken down moving trucks (Penske). At least he got most of his money back.

ABF was very easy to work with and always courteous when we called them and the 2 drivers we had were both on time and helpful.

Has/Is anyone shipping their cars?? I'm moving from FL and CA and do not want to drive, esp. with gas prices creeping out over the summer. Any suggestions on companies?

Don't quote me on this, but I think shipping it will be more expensive than driving it (depending on how much your time is worth). The shipping company has to buy gas too.

i've looked into shipping cars, and it seems to me that DAS is pretty good. they are the preferred shipping company for ebay motors. it would cost me about $700 to ship my car from ca to ny. honestly i'd rather do that than drive across the country, but it's personal preference.

here's a question. i'm not moving any furniture or large items, just clothes. a lot of clothes. has anyone actually shipped just a box or two of personal stuff through fed-ex or ups? what type of shipping rate would this fall under? i've never shipped anything anywhere besides textbooks.

I was planning to U-Haul all my junk from FL to NY. I had no idea it would be $850 just for the truck. I am avoiding doing the math of gas right now. Goooodness!

I was planning to U-Haul all my junk from FL to NY. I had no idea it would be $850 just for the truck. I am avoiding doing the math of gas right now. Goooodness!

when i calculated the costs of gas + rental + hotel it was almost equivalent to services like ABF or Broadway Express...and so not worth the extra headache of driving 50 mph over long distances!

in case anyone was wondering...Broadway Express is a service similar to ABF...its a little more expensive but they provide a lot of the packing materials you might need (ie moving blankets etc.) and they will also put your car on the truck! i found other car shipping services to be less expensive...but i just thought i'd give everyone a heads up...as going with the same company for the whole move might be convenient

here's a question. i'm not moving any furniture or large items, just clothes. a lot of clothes. has anyone actually shipped just a box or two of personal stuff through fed-ex or ups? what type of shipping rate would this fall under? i've never shipped anything anywhere besides textbooks.

I haven't done either, but are you flying to wherever you're going? You can at least have one suitcase/box with 50 lbs of stuff in it and then pay for another check in ($25) that would be 50 lbs. I think for the TV I was gonna ship, the cost with insurance was about 140 (it weighs about 60 pounds)

i've done it. i shipped a 60lb box of personal stuff with ups and it cost about $50.

I just shipped out a car today from Seattle to Nashville for $1048. Auto Driveaway is the company and is recommended by AAA (and gives AAA discount). It's really not much more than just the gas + motels we would have had to pay to drive it ourselves. Not cheap, but it beats driving through Kansas.

i've looked into shipping cars, and it seems to me that DAS is pretty good. they are the preferred shipping company for ebay motors. it would cost me about $700 to ship my car from ca to ny. honestly i'd rather do that than drive across the country, but it's personal preference.

I'm doing DAS as well, WA to FL. Saves me time, money & mileage.

I used DAS to ship my car from my parent's last fall semester (since that is when I was starting to need a car).

Otherwise, I was actually lined up to go from Boston to New York until I got off the waitlist at Tufts (which is in Boston). I had chucked a lot of my stuff since I was spending the summer at home in Cali before going back to the East coast. Had a few boxes stored with friends in Boston that I would make the trip from NYC to Boston to pick up after starting school.

It was actually nice to get rid of the excess junk I collected over the 4 years of undergrad. Though there are a few more things I kind of wish I had stored with friends.

I think it's probably best to go through and chuck stuff that is inexpensive and can easily be re-obtained. For example, probably not worth lugging a microwave across the country.

I haven't done either, but are you flying to wherever you're going? You can at least have one suitcase/box with 50 lbs of stuff in it and then pay for another check in ($25) that would be 50 lbs. I think for the TV I was gonna ship, the cost with insurance was about 140 (it weighs about 60 pounds)

that's true. i was just thinking that by the time i fly out there, maybe the airline companies will have enforced their new rule of charging for ANY checked luggage. in that case, it would be easier just to ship it out, and find it on my doorstep :)

either way, shipping or airline, it will be around $50 and i can definitely handle that.

that's true. i was just thinking that by the time i fly out there, maybe the airline companies will have enforced their new rule of charging for ANY checked luggage. in that case, it would be easier just to ship it out, and find it on my doorstep :)

either way, shipping or airline, it will be around $50 and i can definitely handle that.

Yeah! I just read today damn American Airlines is going to start charging $15 for your first checked bag. Unless you're first class or business I think. I'm glad I'm not on the interview trail this year.

yup, i knew they were planning on it soon. i always carried on while traveling for interviews...but there wasn't always a lot of room in the overhead bins. imagine how crowded the cabin will be now that everyone will carry on to avoid fees!

looks like shipping my stuff will probably be my best bet!

So I decided to sell all my furniture and just take what will fit in my car. It's not a huge car so I'm wondering what the best way to pack stuff would be. Is it worth using boxes (but then this might not take advantage of all the room in the car) or just putting everything into bags? A combination of both?

I'm moving 2400 miles and will probably just squeeze what I can into my car. I've decided to buy my bed, desk, and computer at my final location. I still have to bring my TV, my ginormous LCD monitor, some other various electronics, and my clothes. Theoretically they should all fit. My mother really wants to tag along for some reason. To be honest, I don't think I'd mind the company for such a long road trip so I hope I can keep the passenger-side empty. I bought myself a GPS on sale over the memorial day weekend in anticipation of my week-long roadtrip. Giddy-up!

What are the best dimensions and weight for shipping via UPS?