Moving out of parents house, a little scared.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newptstudent88

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 28 years old and got accepted into a PT school which I will be starting this August. I am planning on moving out, but am a bit nervous and excited at the same time and wanted some tips from people. Here is a bit about my situation:

Its a state school so loans will be around 50k for tuition. My parents have been encouraging me to move out during this time, yet I am scared because I have moved out twice in my past and both times I failed. The first time, I did not have a vehicle and it was exhausting having to rely on others for transportation. I was 20 years old at the time and a lot more immature also. The second time, I was 23, and worked in a call center job. The depression from the job on top of living by myself made me feel very lonely.

I do however feel more emotionally mature and ready to move out now and my parents said they would even help me pay for a place (which I am very thankful, grateful and lucky for). I am also not too worried about being lonely because I have grown into more of an introvert (requiring less attention) than I was back then.
That being said, what would you guys recommend for me during the time I move out? Ill also be about a 30 minute drive from my parents. I am very close with my family as well, they are like my best friends lol.

Anything would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Get in a study group, talk to classmates at lunch. Don't ever move back in with your parents. Get on with the living of life

Reactions: 7 users
I am 28 years old and got accepted into a PT school which I will be starting this August. I am planning on moving out, but am a bit nervous and excited at the same time and wanted some tips from people. Here is a bit about my situation:

Its a state school so loans will be around 50k for tuition. My parents have been encouraging me to move out during this time, yet I am scared because I have moved out twice in my past and both times I failed. The first time, I did not have a vehicle and it was exhausting having to rely on others for transportation. I was 20 years old at the time and a lot more immature also. The second time, I was 23, and worked in a call center job. The depression from the job on top of living by myself made me feel very lonely.

I do however feel more emotionally mature and ready to move out now and my parents said they would even help me pay for a place (which I am very thankful, grateful and lucky for). I am also not too worried about being lonely because I have grown into more of an introvert (requiring less attention) than I was back then.
That being said, what would you guys recommend for me during the time I move out? Ill also be about a 30 minute drive from my parents. I am very close with my family as well, they are like my best friends lol.

Add one small routine of stress relief before starting school. Yoga, running, reading, guitar, positive book reading or literature. Your loans should be perfectly manageable from your tuition amount.

When you clinical match, you can also try to match sites right where your family's area is and stay with them for the duration. If you want to stay independent the whole time, then still get a good hobby. You won't have much time for things during your schools didactic. You may also have to go to a different area for a clinical and need to adjust.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you feel like you're struggling once school starts, seek professional help before things snowball. Most schools offer counseling, and you'd probably be surprised to know how many students take advantage of it. My school offered 12 free sessions a semester. I think at one point 1/4 of my friends were meeting with someone on a regular basis. The other 3/4 probably would have benefited from it.

If you feel like you're struggling once school starts, seek professional help before things snowball. Most schools offer counseling, and you'd probably be surprised to know how many students take advantage of it. My school offered 12 free sessions a semester. I think at one point 1/4 of my friends were meeting with someone on a regular basis. The other 3/4 probably would have benefited from it.

Ya. And nobody knows that you're doing it so it doesn't hurt you from professors or grades.

Thanks those are all solid responses. I enjoy reading self help books, nonfiction literature really so I hope that helps. I enjoy fitness related things too. Running, hiking, swimming, etc.

I think at 28 you should be very eager to move out of your parents' home!

Reactions: 4 users
I love my parents but I was eager when I was 18

You'll be fine. I, too, am very close to my parents and consider them my best friends. I ended up moving out at 25 when I got accepted into a program a couple hours away from home. Initially, it was difficult because I'd never been away from them, but I tried to visit whenever I could (aka almost every weekend) and FaceTime'd them almost every night. Eventually things got easier but I still went home often/as school permitted as I missed them and my pets. With you being just a 30 minute drive from home, you could probably visit them during the week and definitely on weekends without taking too much time away from your studies.

And as others have said, the majority of your time will go towards school responsibilities, but it is imperative to also prioritize the things you enjoy doing to keep your sanity. So, continuing with your active lifestyle by exercising, getting outdoors when possible, etc. will all help relieve your stress from school and being away from home.

Thanks for all the replies. My parents kinda took back paying for my place, but they want me to love out so I'm looking at more of a 90 k loan since I'll have to find a place, pay for insurance gas and food. You guys think that's still pretty manageable?

Are you opposed to roommates? If you are open to it, I would find the rest of your class on social media or email and see if anyone is looking for roomies? That way you have a little bit of social interaction and you can keep the cost down for living.

I would not move out until I am done with School. You will need the support from your family.

I would not move out until I am done with School. You will need the support from your family.

Hi Empress, have you gone to Pt school? Did you live with your parents? I'd like to know how things worked out for you. Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Empress, have you gone to Pt school? Did you live with your parents? I'd like to know how things worked out for you. Thanks.
I lived with my parents while attending PT school and they were very supportive. I was not distracted and I spent more time studying.

No shame in staying with your parents, especially since their house is so close to your school. You can live on your own when you do your clinicals.

Yeah that makes sense. That's what I'm going to do. They backed out on their offer to pay for a place. Their kinda suggesting I stay now.