Moving out of state for med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorStrange0101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a few acceptances that are mainly from out of state schools. I lived at home with my family throughout undergrad to save money and am really really close with my parents (and my dog). Even if I go to school in my own state, I'll be moving out. I've lived away from home before for about a year, but it was only 2.5 hours away. I'm just wondering what people think about the transition to living in another state during medical school. Does this make med school harder than it needs to be? Is it difficult to make friends, a support system, etc? How do you cope with loneliness and homesickness? Any advice or insight would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I moved away from med school and had a very similar background as you. I'm very glad I ended up doing that. It gave me a chance to see another part of the country and made me realize that I would eventually like to return home at some point. I probably wouldn't have realized that had I stayed in state.

If it's important to you to go out of state, I would encourage you to do so. The adjustment will be rough wherever you end up. That's just something you'll need to expect.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk