Moving past an IA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fastandfuranious

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice? I've heard keeping up the GPA and doing well on the MCAT, but anything else? Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If it's for academic dishonest, RIP app.

If it's for an alcohol violation, you'll be okay... just don't do it again.

Everything else is hazy.

...but keeping a good GPA, having a good MCAT score, and demonstrating a commitment to others will all be helpful to your app--IA or not.

It really matter what the IA is...assault on another student or staff, major drug violation, or cheating is a lot different from painting your walls an unapproved color or having premarital sex.

Generally you need to own up to your IA, show how you've grown and changed and have a long period of exemplary Behavior preferably with a leadership role.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
having premarital sex.

Generally you need to own up to your IA, show how you've grown and changed and have a long period of exemplary Behavior preferably with a leadership role.

loma linda is watching you

Reactions: 1 users
If it's for academic dishonest, RIP app.

If it's for an alcohol violation, you'll be okay... just don't do it again.

Everything else is hazy.

...but keeping a good GPA, having a good MCAT score, and demonstrating a commitment to others will all be helpful to your app--IA or not.

It was regarding attendance clickers.

It was regarding attendance clickers.

You saying you got someone to click in for you and you were caught? Anything like that is going to really f^%# with your app.

I believe it was Goro who said this, but academic dishonesty is the biggest red flag you can have.

I'm not an adcom, so maybe someone else can chime in.

You saying you got someone to click in for you and you were caught? Anything like that is going to really f^%# with your app.

I believe it was Goro who said this, but academic dishonesty is the biggest red flag you can have.

I'm not an adcom, so maybe someone else can chime in.
Academic dishonesty is bad, but this is on the lower end of it. I think a member of an adcom would consider this app. Its a lot better than cheating on a test. Unfortunately, this isn't the type of IA that you can do something about, you just have to live with it and let time heal all wounds.

On the report it says that I went to the restroom and gave my clicker to a classmate, which was considered cheating on attendance points

You can tell your side of the story... how long were you gone, were there extenuating circumstances (you had an acute health issue or have a chronic condition) that required you to leave the room during class time, was the class an extraordinary long one (e.g. 3 hour class). You didin't want to risk being docked attendance points for being absent for 5 minutes out of a 50 minute class (or whatever) but you realize that what you did was inappropriate and you have not done it again. This might not be considered as bad as other types of academic dishonesty. You've got to work with what you've got or plan for another career.

Reactions: 1 users
You can tell your side of the story... how long were you gone, were there extenuating circumstances (you had an acute health issue or have a chronic condition) that required you to leave the room during class time, was the class an extraordinary long one (e.g. 3 hour class). You didin't want to risk being docked attendance points for being absent for 5 minutes out of a 50 minute class (or whatever) but you realize that what you did was inappropriate and you have not done it again. This might not be considered as bad as other types of academic dishonesty. You've got to work with what you've got or plan for another career.

So when I'm writing about it in the IA section of AMCAS, what else would you recommend I include?
I'm planning on including my account of what happened that day.. But should I also add that the student justice system sided with me and wanted to give a more lenient punishment (but at the end of the day it was in the professors hands, and he wanted to pursue the maximum punishment)? I don't want to sound like I'm blaming him for being harsh though, because I broke the rules and should accept whatever punishment he gives since it's his classroom. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

This doesn't sound awful IMO. At least you attended the class.
My professor didn't see it that way unfortunately :( it's ok though, it was a huge learning experience for me and I really turned my life around after it. I'm sure I wouldn't be the person/student I am today without it.

So when I'm writing about it in the IA section of AMCAS, what else would you recommend I include?
I'm planning on including my account of what happened that day.. But should I also add that the student justice system sided with me and wanted to give a more lenient punishment (but at the end of the day it was in the professors hands, and he wanted to pursue the maximum punishment)? I don't want to sound like I'm blaming him for being harsh though, because I broke the rules and should accept whatever punishment he gives since it's his classroom. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
I wouldn't bother with what people thought or didn't think. You received x institutional action and you learned from this and came out of the experience wiser and more mature (or whatever).

I wouldn't bother with what people thought or didn't think. You received x institutional action and you learned from this and came out of the experience wiser and more mature (or whatever).
Is it OK if I message you a draft of what I have so far? And thank you for everything!