Moving Soon: Bridgeport, CT Weather Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BufordHighwayMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm moving to Brideport, CT next Sunday and I'm a bit worried about the weather. The distance between my work and housing would just be 1.5 miles so I'm not taking a car with me at all. I currently have a Trek 2300 road bicycle but I'm not sure if I'll need a different type of bike for when it starts to snow in Connecticut. I'd appreciate any input from people that live in or around the surrounding states. It would be nice to also know what type of bicycle you guys use for the snow.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd be less concerned about the snow itself as I would be about plowed snow in the gutters that results in much more narrow streets making it diffcult to share the road with cars. Then that snow begins to melt and you have slush which isn't easy to bike in. High temperatures above freezing and low temperatures below freezing means you have icy conditions and once the snow melts you have potholes and uneven roadways.

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/bridgeport/connecticut/united-states/usct0019

You might want to bike for now and look into joining a car pool (you pay for expenses and someone else drives) when the weather gets rough.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the information. There is a direct bus route that can take me to and from work. The bus stops are exactly outside of where I'd be living and working so I can also use public transportation. I was just hoping to be able to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk as well as an alternative. I've lived in the south all of my life, so I'm not sure if the sidewalks would even be accessible during the winter.

Late spring, summer, early fall you should be fine biking. I wouldn't really advise biking in the winter not many people do since sidewalks will usually be in a perpetual state of ice/snow/slush/salt. Its not the best biking conditions and even then, it gets pretty damn cold.

Thanks for the information. There is a direct bus route that can take me to and from work. The bus stops are exactly outside of where I'd be living and working so I can also use public transportation. I was just hoping to be able to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk as well as an alternative. I've lived in the south all of my life, so I'm not sure if the sidewalks would even be accessible during the winter.
By Connecticut law, the bicycle is considered a vehicle and except for children, bicycles should be operated in the roadway, not on the sidewalk. Either way, the bus will be the better alternative in cold weather.