moving to a different state for medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asdasd12345

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
today i went to the dermatolgists and asked him about getting into medical school. he advised me to move to a state that had lots of medical schools because most give preference to instate residents. being honest with myself i do not think im a competitive enough candidate to get into the 4 (FSU, UF, UM, USF). has anyone else relocated for the sole purpose of admissions to medical school and what is a good state to go to?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by asdasd12345
today i went to the dermatolgists and asked him about getting into medical school. he advised me to move to a state that had lots of medical schools because most give preference to instate residents. being honest with myself i do not think im a competitive enough candidate to get into the 4 (FSU, UF, UM, USF). has anyone else relocated for the sole purpose of admissions to medical school and what is a good state to go to?

Texas is by far the best state to get residency in for purposes of medical school. However, I often got asked in interviews why I went to an out of state college?

Plus you will have to take a year off to for residency purposes in most states.

derm applicants are national applicants (many apply to all ~120 programs in the nation with the hope of being accepted somewhere). If derm is your ultimate goal, I'd just reccomend trying to get into a top tier school since that will increase your chances slightly. Research also helps. Your primary goal in college should be to get into a medical school somewhere first, you can be picky after you have the acceptances in your hand. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
if i even get into the lowest ranked medical school i will be jumping up and down for joy. thats why im trying to think in advance to move to a college where the acceptance rates arent quite so high.

Texas, Ohio, Florida, Louisiana come to mind.

Oops you're from florida. You're already in a really good state to apply from. I dont think moving will increase yoru chances all that much. Arent FSU's averages around a 3.45 and a 27?

Originally posted by asdasd12345
if i even get into the lowest ranked medical school i will be jumping up and down for joy. thats why im trying to think in advance to move to a college where the acceptance rates arent quite so high.

Whoops, just realized that I misread your original question. I thought that you were asking about how to become a dermatologist. Anyways, I agree with the previous poster regarding state reccomendations. I would stick with Florida, you already have a few state schools there to apply to. Most states only have 1. Texas, Illinois and Vermont also come to mind as states considered to be favorable for in-state residents (Vermont only comes to mind because I know that they accept a lot of out of state residents, presumably because they don't have enough in-state people). Establishing a new state residency is a big hassle anyways, a lot of schools have different rules with how long you have to have been there and how long you've worked there, etc in determining your in-state status. I wouldn't reccomend moving for anyone living outside of California; and even there, I'd reccomend trying to apply at least once since if you do get in there, they have excellent schools. Anyways, good luck with your med school app!

New York State has 3 or 4 public medical schools. As long as your AMCAS address is NY, you'll be condsidered an in-state applicant for ADMISSIONS purposes. When it comes time to matriculate, you have to prove you've lived there for a year to pay in-state tuition.

I have the definitive state for you: Maine. Yes, Maine has no medical schools, that's true. But they have a great program to help you out. Also, they help fund your education with forgivable loans.

I met this guy two years ago from Maine and he told me about a program. So, I checked it out. It's true. http://www.famemaine.com/html/education/med-ed-prog.htm

Maine has a preferred access program with three medical schools: University of Vermont, Dartmouth, and University of New England.

At UVM they have 10 seats, 5 at the other two. They usually have only 40 or 50 applicants for all these seats.Those are great odds, considering that many of these applicants might not even be competitive. This is not a sure thing, but damn close, I bet. So, move to Maine, Portland is a great little town. I've been up there a lot. I live in Cambridge, Ma, but I have friends in Maine. Portland has lots of good food, and you're only an 1 1/2 to 2 hours from Boston. The town has a cool vibe. Also, Portland has a satallite branch of UMaine where you could knock out additional classes. I met a girl last summer that's a senior at this college. She was cute, that's an aside.

Also, you're not locked into these schools, it just helps to open up doors. And you can still apply to all the other schools of interest, the regulars like Finch, Albany, and Drexel.

So, yes look into the Maine program. Also, if you moved there now, you'll have residency in time for the program. they require you to live in Maine one year prior to starting medical school. So, if you're in Maine this summer and you submit your amcas application this summer with Maine as your state of residency, you're good to go. Get a job in Maine, apartment, and establish residency.

i was in the same situation as you.. i moved to ohio, tutored for a while.. and now i work for osu.. it was a great move and i have no regrets.. the one thing i would have done differently is that i would have started looking for a job much earlier than i did..

I was coming from maryland though, which REALLY sucks.. there is umab which is pretty competitive, hopkins which requires no explanation, and usuhs which required you to give seven years of your life to defend our wonderful country (something i would never do)..

generally speaking, establishing residency in ohio was a very easy thing to do.. the worst part about the whole thing is having to live in ohio.. but i'm going to medical school in the fall while many of my friends who thought i was going overboard by moving are in the process of re-applying.. if you need any specific advice, pm me..