moving to australia question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bartlettmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
I am currently a US Anesthesia resident completing my first year of gas training (already completed a surgical internship), and due to family reasons would like to complete my training/practice in Australia. I am a US grad and have completed all the USMLE steps.

Can anyone tell me how difficult this would be, or if it is even possible to move and complete training in Australia? Would I be able to continue training in anesthesia, or would I have to choose another specialty? Location is not particularly important to me.

I appreciate any and all information/help that is available.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You would have to go to Australia, get licensed via the competent authority pathway, do a few years of RMO work and apply for a training position. There would be no guarantee that you would get into an Anesthesia training program. The good side is that your RMO years are paid significantly higher than residency. The down side is that you may have to choose another career path - there is the whole moratorium thing, too, as well as 19AA and 19AB restrictions should you get permanent residency if you migrate due to family reasons.

Take a look in some of the earlier forums, there is a US trained anesthesiologist (board certified) who is making the transition now - he has been planning for over 5 years to make the jump. It would be extremely difficult to do mid-training.

You would have to go to Australia, get licensed via the competent authority pathway, do a few years of RMO work and apply for a training position. There would be no guarantee that you would get into an Anesthesia training program. The good side is that your RMO years are paid significantly higher than residency. The down side is that you may have to choose another career path - there is the whole moratorium thing, too, as well as 19AA and 19AB restrictions should you get permanent residency if you migrate due to family reasons.

Take a look in some of the earlier forums, there is a US trained anesthesiologist (board certified) who is making the transition now - he has been planning for over 5 years to make the jump. It would be extremely difficult to do mid-training.

yeah, that's me.
it's not impossible, but it will set you back several years in training, and because of your citizenship/permanent residency status, as Leforte pointed out, you've got a ten-year waiting period after that before you can work wherever you want.

You'll need a very motivating reason to go, especialy now.
It's much better to finish your US residency, do your boards, and then go to Oz.
You'll be able to apply on a different pathway, hold certification in both countries, and the process will still take about as long.

PM me if you're still interested in going, I can give you a couple tips that will help you in the long run.

Hi there, Im new here, and I am sure this question has been thrashed at some point in the past. I just cant seem to find it.

I am an international medical graduate, working as an MO in my country and my fiance on the other hand has started her residency program.... about 2 years left

I have been looking at the option of migrating to Australia, and from my point of view, the first step is to get my foot in. I believe that will make the transition easy.

I have put in an application to UQ, Curtin and Flinders for Masters in Pub Health, and I hope to write the boards while I'm at it. I believe or hope that once I pass the boards, I can start the process of getting a job/placement. If that gets through, then I can start the process of applying to DIAC for the PR. Am i right in my thinking or being overly ambitious? The ultimate aim is to start a residency program ASAP. Its a more expensive route, but less cumbersome... ..or so it seems

Also, would my fiances residency be recognized?

Thanks