Moving to CCOM?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by SAK, Mar 8, 1999.

1. SAK

SAK Junior Member

Hello,
    Is anyone planning on attending CCOM? I interviewed on Jan. 7th, so perhaps we interviewed together. I plan on moving to Downers Grove late this summer, but am still looking for a place (debating on living on-campus). Just curious. Scott

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. IUHoosier

IUHoosier Member

Hey Scott,

I am also planning on going to CCOM in the fall. I have been waiting awhile to post the same question (seeing if any others in the forum are attending CCOM). Its good to hear from a fellow student. I interviewed on Dec. 8th, so we didn't meet. I am looking to stay on campus. I think it would be kind of nice to be able to meet different people while there that are also living on campus. Have you received any information yet on finacial aid. I haven't yet, and am getting a little anxious. I would like to get it out of the way. I know there are a couple of others out there planning on going to CCOM as well so I hope they reply. Its good to hear from you.
    Josh

4. SAK

SAK Junior Member

Hey Josh,
    Thanks for the quick reply. I have received my financial aid package (about a week ago). I am debating on whether to live on-campus. I think it would be great to meet a large number of students who attend not only the COM, but other schools as well. My only concern is that I have a dog and would prefer not to give him up (although my parents would love to take him!). We should keep in touch before school begins. Scott

5. danny

danny Member

Hey fellow CCOM students-to -be,
    I'm hoping to move on campus. It'll make the year a bit easier w/ no travelling or cooking! I'm still awaiting my FA package. I think classes start Sep. 7th. Longer summer for us! I know this question was raised before but I'll ask it anyway. How are you physically moving your stuff to CCOM? Fed-Ex, Postal Service, U-Haul although NY is a long drive! Any ideas? I'll definitely stay tuned to this thread since there doesn't seem to be many CCOM people on the board.
    Danny

6. Danny, are you from NY. If so did you apply to NYCOM? If you got in why did you choose CCOM over NYCOM. I am just curious since I was accepted at both places but will be attending NYCOM.

7. danny

danny Member

I actually am from New York. I was accepted to NYCOM but did choose CCOM. I really liked the availibility of on-campus housing. This will be really helpful in the beginning. Also the rep is great and i was really just impressed with everything I'd heard about the school. The facilities were nice and they have a great gym. Plus, I've been in NY forever and wanna move around a bit. I actually live about 25-30 minutes from NYCOM but commuting is OUT of the question because of traffic. Overall it was a difficult choice b/c of my family here but I went for it. Both schools are great and you can't lose either way. There are probably other reasons I can't think of right now too.
    Danny

8. RJO

RJO New Member

Hi future CCOM students!
    Looks like I'll be joining you all next fall in the Suburbs of Chicago. I grew up about 15 minutes from CCOM and would be more than willing to try to help with any questions about the area that any of you might have. Just let me know. Later!

Ron

9. danny

danny Member

I graduated SUNY Binghamton with a 3.4 overall as well as a 3.4 science
    My MCAT was 7/12/11/Q
    I'm sure you know by now that numbers aren't everything. [​IMG]

10. InNY

InNY Junior Member

Hey to all those of you talking about CCOM,can you tell me some more about it.I still have another year or so before I apply to med school,but I have been living in NY all my life,and if I can,I'd really like to get out of here.How's the school's rep,and what are the benefits of going there that made you choose it?
    By the way,to Danny, that's really cool you graduated SUNY Binghamton. I went there for two years,and now I am in O.T.School at SUNY Stony Brook, awaiting to receive my B.S. in 2000.I have a lot of friends there graduating this year and next year. I also live 20minutes from NYCOM, but it is so inconvenient to not have on-campus housing, with LI traffic and all.
    Oh well,thanks guys.Hope to hear from some of
    you soon.

11. danny

danny Member

InNY,
    I wonder if i know you?! I graduated Binghamton in 97. What years were you there? I went to StonyBrook last term for Biochem, Biochem lab and principals in cellular signalling. Were you in any of those classes?

12. InNY

InNY Junior Member

This is to Danny:
    I went to Binghamton for two years after high school, from Sept. 1996 to May of 1998,then I transferred to Stony Brook Health Science Center this past school year, and now I am looking into osteopathy because I never want to stop being a student *NOT*:). Where on LI are you from, Nassau or Suffolk? I am from Nassau, right on the border between Nassau and Suffolk.

13. jdaasbo

jdaasbo Senior Member

Wow all these New Yorker going to CCOM,

I am an MS-1 at CCOM from NY.

I moved out here about two weeks before classes started. If I had it all to do again, I would have moved out here earlier. I live off campus. I chose to do so because living conditions on campus are kind of claustrophobic and I didn't think I could handle being on campus 24hrs. I think I made the right choice.

A word of warning. Finding an apartment can be kind of hard. I found my apartment in early July and then moved out in here in August. The Downers Grove area is hopping in terms of real-estate. Everyone wants to buy and as a result it is getting harder to find apartments that are willing to rent (as opposed to buying). Many places that do rent charge a premium. Expect to pay 750-1100 for a one bedroom. Many places will include some utilities in that. I suggest contacting RELCON, an appartment finder service. They might be helpful.

For those of you deciding between NYCOM and CCOM, here's some of the factors that influenced my descision:

1) NYCOM never got back to me to tell me if I was in or not-I interviewed in November. I asked them in July if they had made up their mind. I had already accepted here, but was just curious. They BSed me about still deliberating. In general I found their admissions staff quite unproffesional in many regards. Even if they had accepted me I would not have gone.
    2) NYCOMs class size is 250 I think. It felt a bit crowded. Sometimes I think that CCOMs 160 is a bit too much. NYCOMs campus just felt cramped.
    3) CCOMs classrooms were much better equiped and are not next to the animal labs as they are at NYCOM. I could not handle the smell while taking exams.
    4) After doing some research, I felt that the hospitals which you do 3rd and 4th year rotations at were better at CCOM. NYCOM had some great ones, but I just felt that I would get more exposure to programs that I might want to do a residency at in Chicago.
    5) Chicago as a city has a very stable medical community. The hospitals are not madly merging. Furthermore you can, and most people do, take all of their rotations in Chicago area hospitals. Ofcourse people purposely elect to do out of system rotations at other sites, but no one is forced to go to another state unless they want to.
    6) CCOMs recent match results and board scores were better than excellent. I don't know what NYCOMs are, but CCOMs convinced me that I could go anywhere I wanted to with a DO degree from here.

With that said, I think that NYCOM is a great school and I want to emphasize that all of the above is my opinion. I don't want to step on anyone's toes. Rather, I mean to provoke thought in people who may be trying to decide between the two.

If anyone has any specific questions about CCOM or moving out here you can email me at [email protected] I check my email more frequently than this site.

Hope I was of help,

Johan Aasbo
    MS-1 CCOM

14. almasque

almasque Member

IUHoosier - congratulations on your acceptance. I too was at the 12/08/98 interview and will be part of CCOM class 2003! Perhaps we met? Which interview group were you in?

I am from Springfield, IL and recently purchased a house in Lombard, IL (about 5 miles from CCOM) with my wife. Since I'm already here, maybe I can be of assistance. Let me know.

Kelly Cain,
    [email protected]

15. IUHoosier

IUHoosier Member

Hi Kelly,

I am sure we did meet. What a coincidence, huh? I think I was in the first interview group, but I could be mistaken. I know I did my interview first and then had the financial aid talk and tour afterwards. How 'bout you? Its good to hear you will be attending along with the others that have applied here. When I first started coming to this forum I didn't find many CCOM students, but now there are more and more. Have you decided on which type of housing you are going to do? I've been trying to decide if I want an apartment or live in the dorms. I sort of think that the dorms will be fun because I will be able to meet different people. Tell me what you think.

THis question is for all of you planning on going to CCOM. I was wondering when you were planning on heading for the campus. I figured if we all get there a little early we can have a few nights to spend together doing the night life thing. Tell me what you think and we can get things figured out. As you can tell, I'm looking forward to meeting all of you.

See ya,

Josh
    CCOM 2003

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. almasque

almasque Member

Josh,

I already moved to the Chicago area a month or so ago; my wife got a job in Lombard (about ten minutes from CCOM), so we'll be living in a house nearby. You might considering calling student services at CCOM for information about housing. I'm sure you can get in touch with other students for input. Probably the sooner you find a place the better. Great to hera from you and look forward to seeing to in the fall.

K. Cain
    [email protected]

18. IUHoosier

IUHoosier Member

Hi all,

Its good to see some others going to CCOM. I was wondering if any of you have heard anything about financial aid from the school. Danny, I know you were working on it a long time ago. Have you heard anything yet as far as being able to get what you wanted. I just sent in the FAFSA yesterday so I have to wait awhile, but I am anxious to find out what others are receiving.

Also, have any of you received the housing applications yet. I sent in the little card we were supposed to send but hafve not gotten an application yet. I don't want to get last pick so if you have let me know. Can't wait to meet all of you.

Josh

19. danny

danny Member

Josh,
    I sent in my FAFSA and am now waiting for an award letter from the school telling me how much I can borrow. I hope it's enough! I called and am under the impression it will be in June or so.
    As far as housing, Res Life should be sending out their applications this or next week and should get back to us within a week after that.
    Danny

20. IUHoosier

IUHoosier Member

Thanks Danny,

Its good to hear I am not behind on anything as of yet. I saw your post on the rotations and residencies forum. Of course, Prefontaine had to chime in with an arrogant answer, but I am too interested in what you were asking. If you come up with any other ideas let me know. Have you decided on which place you want to live. I am looking at the Living Learning Center. I heard from one of the students that it is best in living conditions and the noise is not as bad. Problem is that they go quick. Let me know.

Josh

21. IUHoosier

IUHoosier Member

Hey future CCOMers,

I don't want to keep sounding like a worry bird, but I was wondering if anyone has received the housing application yet. I thought it was to be sent to us in April, but I haven't heard a thing. I just want to make sure I will have a chance at my first choice considering I heard the spaces go quick. Are any of you planning on living off campus. If so what kind of housing have you found. Are the prices very steep and how close. Thanks for the help in advance. I hope you don't mind, I just figured we could use this as our forum.

Josh

22. danny

danny Member

Josh,
    I received my application last week. You should get it any day, but you may want to call them. I hope to hear soon what I get. As far as moving off campus, as Johan mentioned, contact RELCON for an apartment guide. RELCON.com
    It's a free service. Good luck. Danny
    PS- Is everyone sending in their transcripts and immunizations? Just checking [​IMG]
    Did anyone receive notification of health insurance and what-not?

23. IUHoosier

IUHoosier Member

danny,

You won't beleive this but I just called them and they said that they did not receive my post card. This is the second time I have had problems with the mail. They told me that everthing is pretty much full and the best I can do is be placed on a waitlist. That is just great!! Now I really don't know what to do. I was really looking forward to living on campus and I am not sure I want to live off campus alone. Oh well, I just had to vent a little. They did find the mistake in why the mail is getting lost, but that doesn't help matters. Tell me when yo find out where your staying. If you don't get in maybe we can talk about rooming together off campus.

Josh

24. spunkydoc

spunkydoc Senior Member

congratz to all of those who are attending ccom in the fall..i am 4 weeks away from being an msIII and thought i could help y'all out in the housing, fa departments here..

1. housing: i have dormed it for the last 2 yrs..it turns out to be tons cheaper in the end, even with the meal plan, b/c you don't have to spend on commute, your utilities are FREE in the sense that you can leave the light on forever and ever, FREE cable, FREE internet acess..these are all bonuses..plus, you can be lazy like me and roll outta bed 5 minutes before class when you are still going to them..LLC vs traditionals..traditionals are cheaper, bigger, and still pretty darn good..if budget deals are what you are looking for, go there..the noise depends on your floor, and traditionally, the # of pharm students who live on it..there is no AC there but you will not fry b/c you will not be here in the heat..i live in llc now--more expensive, a bit less square footage, but a change of colors and space..

2. Financial AID and other packets..excpect delays..that is a hallmark here...one big key: CHECK OVER YOUR FA PACKAGE..LOOK OVER YOUR BILL CAREFULLY..i have been overcharged for 5 quarters now by $2000..

3. for those of you who did not know, you will be on a 10 wk quarter with 2 exams/wk, sometimes 3..so, come here refreshed and ready to work, but pace yourself...TAKE THE SUMMER OFF---go far far away and chill out..work if you must (i think it is a good idea cuz the price to go here is very steep)..
    4.any other questions, email to [email protected] i am studying for boards so may not be super duper prompt.

good luck

25. vgaramayo

vgaramayo New Member

* CCOM off-campus housing *

Hello,
    I am also one of you who got into NYCOM and
    CCOM. I chose to stay here in Chicago (Downer's Grove). I am considering living
    off campus. In fact I was just on campus
    today and found an ad for a HOUSE 4 RENT!!!
    It's a 3 BRM etc etc for $1,100 that's
    under 400 each. WOW ! If any one would be
    interested not only in this offer but perhaps
    other prospects that will come up, hopefully soon. Thanks

I can be reached @ [email protected] or you can post a reply

Congratz!!! to All on your acceptances
    look forward to meeting all of you !

[This message has been edited by vgaramayo (edited May 11, 1999).]

26. IUHoosier

IUHoosier Member

Hey vgaramayo,

That is a possibility that I might be interested in. I am waiting to hear from the housing department as to if I will get a place there. They gave me a double and I turned it down because I would rather live alone in their tiny rooms. Living on campus would be my first choice but if am not able to then living cheaply off campus is my second choice. Thank you for the offer and I will keep in touch over what I am doing.

**Has anyone else heard back yet from the housing department. If so, what did you get.

Josh

27. danny

danny Member

I somehow managed to get a room in the Living Learning Center. That was my first choice. anyone else living there?