Moving to Erie

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

molecular_medic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was just accepted to LECOM and I need to find a place to settle down up there that can accommodate 2 people. Anyone have any suggestions for nice but relatively inexpensive places or, to be more generalized, where to avoid in Erie? Im willing to commute 20 minutes, so anywhere in that radius would be ideal.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on your definition of cheap, 2 bed room apartment goes anywhere from 700 to 1200 in the area around LECOM. If you are not familiar with snow, I would suggest you live close to school during the first year then figure it out for yourself from that point on. Erie has the lake-effect snow and you can get up to 11-12 inches within a span of a few hours.

http://www.pastorebuilders.com/ Laurel Ridge and Laurel Springs are the 2 apartment complexes that are right across from the campus. Winchester apartment is right next to the gym, which is 5 minutes away but it's a bit older

Avoid downtown if you can, that area is sketchy.

Generally speaking, the West side of Erie is relatively safe

Avoid the Granada apartments and anything that's on an East road.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I dont mind paying 1k for rent but I do need a place that will accept small dogs. Any ideas?

I dont mind paying 1k for rent but I do need a place that will accept small dogs. Any ideas?

Congrats on getting in!

$1k for rent for two people and a small dog or two is going to be a very nice apartment in Erie, if not a small house/condo.

Rent here is very affordable compared to many other places. The west side of town (i.e. closest to school anyway) is the nicer area, and there is plenty of housing available. Look for anything in Millcreek Township.

I like my shabby little shoebox near downtown. I am on the west side of downtown, not the east. That does matter. I found it on Craigslist.

The school will send out a packet of info with lots of real estate and property management company info, but google and craigslist can provide you all this just as well. Get on google maps, virtually explore the area, and make a few phone calls. It isn't hard to live close to the school, if you tell realtors that is what you want.

As mentioned, Granada is not fit for human habitation.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the input. I will ensure to avoid west Erie. In addition to an apartment, I have been told that finding places to spend time relaxing is important as well. Can you tell me of any (non-tourist) things to do in Erie? Where should I avoid in town?