Moving to Long Island (NYU, Winthrop)... How do you afford to live there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knightmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my wife will be quitting her job in DC to move with me to Long Island. I was looking at the rentals and the prices are off the charts. $2000 for a crappy 1BR. So my question is, how do you afford to live there? Is there a secret I haven't been let in on? How much net salary will I be making every month as a PGY1 surgical resident?

We don't have kids yet, so we don't need a neighborhood with good schools, but we will need a safe and clean one...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe Winthrop offers free housing to residents, at least the IM program does.

So my wife will be quitting her job in DC to move with me to Long Island. I was looking at the rentals and the prices are off the charts. $2000 for a crappy 1BR. So my question is, how do you afford to live there? Is there a secret I haven't been let in on? How much net salary will I be making every month as a PGY1 surgical resident?

We don't have kids yet, so we don't need a neighborhood with good schools, but we will need a safe and clean one...

Thanks!
Your wife lived in DC and LI is expensive??

Reactions: 1 users
I believe Winthrop offers free housing to residents, at least the IM program does.

Free free? Like is it a building for residents only, married or not? At Mount Sinai in NYC, they would just subsidize regular rentals in the city.

Your wife lived in DC and LI is expensive??

Well, she lives in her own family home in a DC suburb.

Is there a reason she won't be looking for a job?

Is there a reason she won't be looking for a job?

She makes a whole lot more than I do, but is currently changing careers and will be doing some school for some time.

Reactions: 1 user

Phew. I found it on the website:
  • Heavily subsidized housing in nearby apartment complexes and free-standing houses
I hope I can know how heavily subsidized we're talking. I'll get in touch with housing.

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Most residencies in Long Island offer pretty heavily subsidized housing.

Otherwise, yeah, housing on the Island is overpriced as heck. It's not a place worth moving to long-term, IMO.

It sounds like you're all set, but for another perspective a little further out on LI I lived in a fabulous waterfront rental house on the North Shore shared with 3 other students. I had the master bedroom with en suite bathroom and so paid the most (a wooping $900/mo. when I moved in and only 1K/mo. by the time I moved out a few years later). I will probably never live anywhere that nice again, certainly not at that price point...

OP said $2000 for a crappy 1 BR. That’s like manhattan price.
No. That gets you a tiny studio in nyc unless you live somewhere people get mugged very regularly.

Reactions: 1 users
I was at Winthrop for IM prelim year. They placed me in a very spacious 1BR literally across the street from the hospital for $670/month. I'm married so if you are then I'm sure you'd be bumped to the top of the list. Plus up to 5 free meals a day including sweet smoothies from the nice ladies in the cafeteria. I ranked this place very highly strictly because of these perks.

Last edited: