moving to med. school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TP

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all-
I'm going to be going to med. school in the midwest and i'm currently living in california. I'm rather concern with the actual moving process since the move is quite a ways away. I'm planning to take my car so that'll be about 1500 miles of driving which i won't be looking forward to. I have a small car so i can't really bring much. I would like to hear other people's input on how they plan to move to go to school. I also would like to know how people plan to find housing (off-campus) and furnishing it if they don't live in the same state as their prospective school. Plane tickets for me to get to the midwest is about $250 so it'll be rather expensive to take trips to go apt. searching. Any suggestions or anecdotes will be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

TP,

I am going to med school in the same state as where I live currently (I'm a Californian too!). I'm planning on having my folks and I visit the area during springtime to put a deposit on an apartment. Then in the summer (mid-July) we are going to take the family van (big Econoline) and my Acura Legend down together with my essential stuff. Most likely most apartments are unfurnished, and so I plan to get most of my furniture from second-hand stores. With regards to off-campus housing (COMP doesn't have on-campus housing), I'm going to go through the school since they have a roommate matching program as well as my contacts through my church. Call the school to see if they can send you an apartment guide or perhaps recent listings so you can get an idea about the rent. It may be a good idea to spend the money to fly out there anyways because you are going to need at least a decent place to live in order to concentrate on your studies. Good luck my friend.

EDGAR

TP,
Where are you going? I don't know about some of the other schools but I heard that KCOMs admissions office keeps a list of housing available to help students get started on the house hunting. I lucked out and found a place while I was there interviewing in OCT that will be ready in May. While I don'e plan on moving to Kirksville in May I have a really nice place and don't have to worry about looking for a place to live.
I think I am going to just get a small U-haul to move my things there.

Carrie

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey TP,
I am also from California (Northern). I plan all sorts of things but I found out that the easiest way for me was to ship all my stuff (except furniture) by UPS for $150 (6 boxes of stuff @ 40-50# each). I drove my car for 3 days (not that bad). But bring somebody along for company during that long drive. It's easier that way than renting a U-Haul and drive all the way from California. It just cost way too much. You can also ship your car to Kansas City for $700 or less. Don't know where you are going to but in Kirksville (KCOM), there's a lot of used furniture to be had (either thru garage sale or weekly used furniture auction). The KCOM admissions office does have a list of open housings available. HTH.

Hey TP
I have the same problem as you but in the other direction, meaning, I'm going from the mid-east too the West. I had considered several options but the best one I think is to rent an U-Haul. The people we've been talking to agreed to the following conditions: 2500miles, 9days, truck + trailer(for my car), 1 way rental = $650. Not bad in my opinion.
If you have any specific Q. please feel free to e-mail me--
Good luck--Nicolas-

Hey Tuan (I think it's you),
I'm going to the midwest from NY. I think I'm taking a u-haul one way. My family's coming in our car and then they're gonna drive back. Danny

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions. I'm currently considering two options. The first is to bring the essentials and fragile stuff in my car and drive with a buddy. I would then UPS some boxes for some of the other things. All the large things like bed, desk, etc. i would probably have to buy once i get settled down. The second option is the U-haul idea with the trailer for my car. It all depends on which is cheaper...uhaul w/ trailer or UPS.

So is everybody going to fly to their school and do some apt. searching? When is everybody planning to do this...one month prior to school start or sooner? Also, are you guys going to sign a long term (1 yr) lease/rent agreement or a short term one?

Danny, yes it's me what gave it away? Have you decided which school you're going yet? The jets had a heck of a season and i was cheering for them on sunday.
Hskermdic, i placed a deposit with UHS so most likely i'll go there. I'm on the waiting list at CCOM and i kinda want to hear from them. I'm kinda torn b/t the two (i have a lot of family in chi).
Do 2 be- it's nice to hear from a fellow UC graduate that's vietnamese. We have a lot in common.

I did my undergrad in New England and dealt with all of this when I moved out there and came back.

U-haul is your friend. I paid for one of my friends return tickets and suckered him to drive and help.

Book rate is a great thing also. If you pack documents and books in boxes you can send by grounf book rate. It took almost 3 weeks for my stuff to go from CT to CA, but it was cheep and saved me a lot of room. I can not remember which shippers (UPS/Fed-Ex/US mail) go by size and which go by weight. If you pack and ship smartly you can save $$ by sending different boxes with different contents.

Pay the extra $$ to insure your expensive things if you ship them; we are all going to be rather tight w/$$ for a while.

Whoever is form NY and think of moving to anywhere by U-haul you have to be very careful with the reservation.

I have a horrible experience with U-haul when I moved to Florida from NY. I call the U-haul main center months ago and to reserve a 19 ft truck and an auto-transport for my car. When I get to the local site to pick up the truck and the autotransport, none of them is available. I learnt that the U-haul main center has no communication with the local site. The main office have no way to know whether the local site have the equipment or not.

So, if you are going to use U-haul, please plan that you have segveral extra day of waiting time and be patient.