Moving

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GmailQueen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
While looking through the benefits that various programs offer, I've noticed that one of my programs will give you an advance of X amount of money to secure housing (that you have to pay back), while other programs offer a stipend for moving expenses. Is this pretty standard across the board? I'm starting to get a little nervous about paying 1-2 months rent + security + moving expenses before I get my first paycheck, especially since I'm looking at residency programs in cities.

Members don't see this ad.

While looking through the benefits that various programs offer, I've noticed that one of my programs will give you an advance of X amount of money to secure housing (that you have to pay back), while other programs offer a stipend for moving expenses. Is this pretty standard across the board? I'm starting to get a little nervous about paying 1-2 months rent + security + moving expenses before I get my first paycheck, especially since I'm looking at residency programs in cities.

Most programs pay you nothing except some educational stipend once you in residency for book, journal or meetings etc.
Some programs in NY and CT offer subsidize/free housing.
Some programs give you some cash up front in the form of advance payment of your salary and it will be adjusted from your salary. Purpose is so you can buy a car/deposit on a car or apartment etc.
Some programs in Boston would be happy to provide reference for your apartment landlord.
Only very few pay for moving. It is rather rare.

I know of a few transitional year programs that will defray moving costs by anywhere from $750-1500, but that's about it. Just dig in those loans a bit further if you must ..