Technology mp3 Player

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HarveyCushing

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hopefully you guys dont get tired of these type of threads. Been looking a few weeks at mp3 players and doing research. I really want a small hard drive based player and have narrowed it down. I really want something with a removable bettery, long batter life, small/sleak, good sound, built in microphone (to record class lectures) and something around $200. I am not interested in the Ipod as it is overpriced for me and many features that come with other players are extra add ons. So I have come across the:

Rio Caron: http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/shop/_templates/item_main_Rio.asp?model=267&cat=72

Really nice, small and sleak player and love what you get for your money. Get extra long battery life (20hrs per charge), built in microphone, easy to use and did I mention its really small? The con's are that the battery is built in.

Creative Zen Micro:

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=10795

Another nice player but gets lower ratings than the Rio. The battery is removeable, has AM/FM radio (dont know how much I would use that but still nice to have), built in microphone, but it is a little bigger than the Rio and I have heard the touch pad is annoying. Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't let a built-in battery discourage you. You can still have these replaced (i.e., iPod batteries can be replaced for $50).

So I wouldn't easily discredit the Rio Caron. I can't comment on the Rio Caron because I haven't seen it. I wasn't impressed with the Creative Zen Micro.

I didn't realize either unit had a built-in microphone.

IPods are expensive...unless they're free. (I figured it was a scam, but apparently it's not. Look it up.) Take care!

Members don't see this ad :)
emster said:
IPods are expensive...unless they're free. (I figured it was a scam, but apparently it's not. Look it up.) Take care!
I bought my iPods. I don't believe you get anything for free. Those "free" iPods come at a cost -- they sell your name, number, address, etc. to telemarketing companies and such.

At any rate, enjoy your mp3 player. I do recommend you take a look at the iPod though. It's the most popular mp3 player for a reason. The scrollwheel is not available on any other model, and the 15-hour battery life on the new iPods makes it even more attractive. On an educational discount, you can get an iPod 20gig with color display for $260.

I have am Ipod and have had a few other models made by Rio. Although I like the Ipod very,very much, the Rio products have been very good.