mp3s to prep for starting med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jms88

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody of a good resource for downloading mp3s to listen to that can help soon-to-be med students get a jump start on the material? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

:laugh: What happened to music?

"The Final Countdown"

Available on iTunes

Members don't see this ad :)
REM - It's the End of the World As We Know It (and I feel fine)

Gangsta rap. I suggest the Geto Boys-Still, because it's a classic.

Anybody of a good resource for downloading mp3s to listen to that can help soon-to-be med students get a jump start on the material? thanks!

You cannot usefully prepare for med school. The best thing you can do is get some meditation tapes and clear your brain for the onslaught of information you are going to be packing into it shortly.

They say that medical school is like drinking water from a fire hose or like reading the encyclopedia backwards...try these things. If not then just chill out man and enjoy your last free summer until you quit medicine or retire.

bone thugs.

I'd suggest maybe reading a book that somebody has written about medical school, residency, or about becoming a doctor. I know USF asks their students to read a Tolstoy short story: The Death of Ivan Ilyich in preparation for the medical ethics course taught.

The only way I've heard that you can prepare for medical school is to take undergraduate courses that teach the same material. Even then, it won't be at the same level of medical school but should help. Like, I've already taken Human Gross Anatomy and Histology, so the medical school versions should be much easier than if I hadn't taken them before. However, there is little that you could study on your own time during the summer before medical school.

My plans this summer are to learn how to play the guitar, brush up on my spanish, learn some medical spanish, get my fill of roller coasters in the Orlando and Tampa areas out of my system (which will never happen), travel some, volunteer 150 more hours at the hospital ED to reach my self-imposed goal of 1000 volunteer hours, sell lots of crap I've collected in my garage over the years on ebay, and work at school for a few weeks to make some cash.

okay I'm going to go against the grain on this one. I'll be the first to admit I'm just an average guy when it comes to academics, but I wanted to do really well in school and on step 1, and to keep my options open for residency. So in order for me to do well I've go to put in a much greater effort then the next guy to do just as well. So if you u are like me and want to do well then do it. But if you are like the other studs on sdn who can study for mcat or step 1 in 4 weeks and get 2 SDs above the mean with this little effort then don't bother and enjoy ur summer.

You can get kaplan web prep or videos from ebay or from here http://www.usmlestep.com/webprep2005.htm and convert them to mp3. There is also gold standard audio out there as well. I would only suggest listening to stuff you've already learned in undergrad. Like bio chem, histo, molecular bio, physio, if you have already taken these classes in undergrad, it would make as a good primer. Before I started med school I did pick up hield yield histo, and molecular cell bio for a quick read since I already took those classes in undergrad.