MPH Admissions Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
O

ohopenyoureyes

I was considering applying to MPH programs this fall for admission for Fall 2018. Many of the programs that I'm interested in have deadlines for December 1st. Do you guys think it would be okay if I took the GRE mid-November and submitted SOPHAS sometime by the end of October? Is that too late? Would I be at a disadvantage for submitting too late?

Also, on the SOPHAS do we have to indicate what we want to study? For example, I'm interested in Health Policy and Epidemiology. Would I have to pick one of these on my application?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking the GRE mid-November and wondering about this too!

Members don't see this ad :)
You should contact each school specifically to ask. If you take the GRE mid-Nov, it is highly unlikely your scores will get to them by Dec 1 even if you directly report them the day of the test. You will send your scores via a SOPHAS-specific GRE code for each school. The ETS --> SOPHAS --> school process can take a month. So, if they need your application 100% complete-- and "scores on the way" doesn't count as complete-- you should take the GRE sooner.

Reactions: 1 user
You should contact each school specifically to ask. If you take the GRE mid-Nov, it is highly unlikely your scores will get to them by Dec 1 even if you directly report them the day of the test. You will send your scores via a SOPHAS-specific GRE code for each school. The ETS --> SOPHAS --> school process can take a month. So, if they need your application 100% complete-- and "scores on the way" doesn't count as complete-- you should take the GRE sooner.
Can't you also send the scores straight to the school (not through SOPHAS)?

Can't you also send the scores straight to the school (not through SOPHAS)?
I believe the vast majority of schools want them through SOPHAS if that's the application system they are using. It's a bit of a pain for applicants but makes it easier on their end. Again, contact each specific school if this is a concern for you.