MPH and Preventive Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Euphrates

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What type of MPH degrees may be substituted for the PGY2 year of a Preventative Medicine Residency Program? Does the level of prestige or type of accreditation matter? Does it matter if the MPH is online-based? Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know for sure, but I guess that it depends on the preventive medicine program. Some really want you to do their MPH and the experiences you get through that, while some would probably let you do the substitution. You could email a handful of residency program directors and ask the question.

Are you hoping to be MD, PhD, MPH? what's your PhD in or going to be in? How far along are you?

Also, if you do the MPH during residency, they pay for it!

EDIT: I looked at some of your old posts. Sorry to hear about your difficulties with Step 2. So, you are going to be MD, MBA, and maybe MPH? What do you want to end up doing with this training?

When I worked at my state health department there were a handful of non-licensed MDs (foreign trained) who worked as epidemiologists and mid-level public health officers since the work is non-clinical. Only some of them had a MPH.

Last edited:
I don't know for sure, but I guess that it depends on the preventive medicine program. Some really want you to do their MPH and the experiences you get through that, while some would probably let you do the substitution. You could email a handful of residency program directors and ask the question.

Are you hoping to be MD, PhD, MPH? what's your PhD in or going to be in? How far along are you?

Also, if you do the MPH during residency, they pay for it!

EDIT: I looked at some of your old posts. Sorry to hear about your difficulties with Step 2. So, you are going to be MD, MBA, and maybe MPH? What do you want to end up doing with this training?

When I worked at my state health department there were a handful of non-licensed MDs (foreign trained) who worked as epidemiologists and mid-level public health officers since the work is non-clinical. Only some of them had a MPH.

Thank you for your comments and sincere advice. I am interested in psychiatry and/or preventive medicine and was wondering about the best way of reducing my residency time, since I've already participated in the match a couple of times (quite a few false promises during my psych interviews:mad:). Well, anyways, I was looking at all available options, since I feel that I've already wasted a lot of time (perhaps I will apply to FM and pediatrics, this time around?). I am an MBA student, as well. Realistically speaking, an MPH would probably not be feasible unless the MPH program offers a very generous scholarship or happens to be truly inexpensive.