MPH at Columbia vs MHS at Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mms124

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

It seems there are quite a few other people on this forum with my dilemma. I got into both the MPH program at Columbia for epi and the epi MHS at Hopkins. Which should I choose? I'm not sure exactly what I want to do after school so I don't want a degree that's so specialized that I end up with a strictly data job after I graduate, but one the other hand, it's hard to turn down the best school in the country.

Any insights?

Members don't see this ad.

when did you apply for the MHS program and when did you get in btw? I am waiting for a decision about the ScM in Epi.

I applied Feb 1st and I got an email saying I was accepted on April 27th.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 3.46 GPA and my GRE was 720 math and 590 verbal. But I've been out of school since '04 and working for the past year and a half at a state health department so I think that helped. I would call if you haven't heard. I called myself to find out when decisions were being made.

If anyone has any thoughts on my original post of what school to pick, it would be much appreciated!

Hello,

It seems there are quite a few other people on this forum with my dilemma. I got into both the MPH program at Columbia for epi and the epi MHS at Hopkins. Which should I choose? I'm not sure exactly what I want to do after school so I don't want a degree that's so specialized that I end up with a strictly data job after I graduate, but one the other hand, it's hard to turn down the best school in the country.

Any insights?

My gut sense says go to Columbia for the MPH. This is based on familiarity with one program and less with the other, and mostly gut sense. You probably can't go wrong either way, but you may be happier at Columbia, because the schedule is a bit more sensible, the intro classes a little less daunting (by reputation), the degree slightly broader and less in need of explanation, and the city more appealing to many. On the other hand, the cost of living is higher, the winters slightly cooler, and the city overwhelming to some. Will you be able to visit either or both schools, if you're on the East Coast? I'd highly recommend it if you are able to take the time.