MPH at UT Houston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seeyouinhouston

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
been accepted for an MPH at UT houston in biostatistics
my GRE was 350 V and 720 Q

is it a good place to be doing biostats from? is texas A&M a better place. i am really not certain about whether i should join here or not.

is there a probability that if i take up the admission here, leave it and apply for the next year to smwhere like hopkins or harvard

will there be any extra advantage of joining UT now, and then going somewhere else, or should i just sit at home and prepare for GRE again and then try for these top universities

i know that UT is rank 15 for its SPH but dont know if its for stats as well?

please advice

i would really appreciate your suggestions

Members don't see this ad.

been accepted for an MPH at UT houston in biostatistics
my GRE was 350 V and 720 Q

is it a good place to be doing biostats from? is texas A&M a better place. i am really not certain about whether i should join here or not.

is there a probability that if i take up the admission here, leave it and apply for the next year to smwhere like hopkins or harvard

will there be any extra advantage of joining UT now, and then going somewhere else, or should i just sit at home and prepare for GRE again and then try for these top universities

i know that UT is rank 15 for its SPH but dont know if its for stats as well?

please advice

i would really appreciate your suggestions

My suggestion would be to sit tight and just study for a better GRE score instead of paying for a year of studies and then possibly paying for another two years at the school you REALLY want to go to. Plus, you won't really enjoy UT Houston if you're not mostly confident with your decision to go there. You could spend that extra year volunteering and working to make your resume and personal statement look better, as well.

My impression of UT SPH is a good one. I applied to UT Houston (the Austin campus) because they seemed to have a very flexible program that you could make specific according to what interests you're focused on. Also, Texas schools in general are both of good quality and very low tuition fees. I didn't go mainly because I decided that I wasn't ready for that kind of weather. Unfortunately, I don't know about the stats program BUT nietzsche754 is a great person to contact about this school - he/she knows everything about it!

Good luck.

My suggestion would be to sit tight and just study for a better GRE score instead of paying for a year of studies and then possibly paying for another two years at the school you REALLY want to go to. Plus, you won't really enjoy UT Houston if you're not mostly confident with your decision to go there. You could spend that extra year volunteering and working to make your resume and personal statement look better, as well.

My impression of UT SPH is a good one. I applied to UT Houston (the Austin campus) because they seemed to have a very flexible program that you could make specific according to what interests you're focused on. Also, Texas schools in general are both of good quality and very low tuition fees. I didn't go mainly because I decided that I wasn't ready for that kind of weather. Unfortunately, I don't know about the stats program BUT nietzsche754 is a great person to contact about this school - he/she knows everything about it!

Good luck.

sorta off topic, but I couldn't agree more with the above in bold. I'm originally from San Antonio, but after living in two years in Chicago I hate the humidity and summer here. I moved back home for the summer and I can't wait to move to LA for the gorgeous weather.

Members don't see this ad :)
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Medical students at the University of Texas Medical School at Houston may apply for the five-year integrated MPH Program. Students spend the fall and spring semesters at the School of Public Health at Houston after the first, second or third medical school year. Interested students many apply early so that they can enroll in online classes during the summer before they begin medical school. This facilitates completion of the requisite hours needed for graduation. Students may also apply to the dual degree program after they have begun medical school but this may lengthen the MPH program beyond five year. From here .[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]http://www.thedegreeexperts.com/online-degree.aspx.[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] you may get more information on MPH at UT Houston..

yo people!
thanks...you guys are really prompt!

i am not gonna feel stuck there after joining...and i am already an MD, with a valid degree in the US...have got good research work and volunteer experience too!!!

say i do a few months here at UT, and also apply to another SPH, so will the 350 V score really hamper my application...i remember that JHSPH people want to assess your quantitative skills, which i have scored well enough

as far as my opinion, i dont care much, but the world created too much hype about choosing a good univ, and i feel pressurized from that

and my CV is quite OK, so please give me some more advice...

UT houston ranks no 15 as far as i know...

plz guid

yo people!
thanks...you guys are really prompt!

i am not gonna feel stuck there after joining...and i am already an MD, with a valid degree in the US...have got good research work and volunteer experience too!!!

say i do a few months here at UT, and also apply to another SPH, so will the 350 V score really hamper my application...i remember that JHSPH people want to assess your quantitative skills, which i have scored well enough

as far as my opinion, i dont care much, but the world created too much hype about choosing a good univ, and i feel pressurized from that

and my CV is quite OK, so please give me some more advice...

UT houston ranks no 15 as far as i know...

plz guid

My honest opinion:

720 Q isn't that great if you want to apply to a school that's famous for its public health program. I got a 780 and even that was just 89th percentile. It might be above the cut-off but it doesn't look competitive enough to me. However, since you have lots of experience, this may not make a difference. Just my impression, though.

320 V is a pretty terrible score and yes, schools focus more on the Q score but that's only when the V score is strong enough.

I still don't understand the point of doing a semester or so at UT SPH, since all that does is use up money. You should call the schools you're aiming for and ask them about transferring credits and whether it's possible to apply them to the one year MPH degree at Hopkins, etc (I'm assuming that since you already have a medical degree, you'd want to do the programs that are targeted towards health professionals and are shorter than the regular MPH programs). I would be surprised if they let you transfer credits to the highly competitive programs that you want but it's good to check and make sure.

It sounds like only the GRE is your weak point at the moment, since you say that you have enough research and volunteering experience. Since masters programs seem to focus more on experience than on scores, you might have a good chance of getting in with the GRE score you have right now - I've seen it happen.

I don't know what to tell you about ranking. If you're going to objectively follow the ranking system, then you should just apply to the top 5 or 6 on the list. They're all really good schools and you can't go wrong with any of them. However, UT Houston is also a really good school and shouldn't be taken lightly. Just make sure that you're thinking about how to best utilize your finances and your time, so that you don't end up taking redundant coursework and such.

thanks a lot for your reply!!!!

really appreciate it!!!

will go for UT only I guess.financial reasons are important for me.

for health professionals focusing on research, what would be a good option? biostat or epid?