MPH before MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lkevin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Aftering applying this year and being waitlisted at 4 schools, I have decided to do an MPH in epidemiology before giving medical school another shot. Anyone know if medical schools prefer students that did MPH at their school? I'm trying to decide between Umich and Emory, and want to know which will yield the best chances of getting in on my second go...

Members don't see this ad.

Aftering applying this year and being waitlisted at 4 schools, I have decided to do an MPH in epidemiology before giving medical school another shot. Anyone know if medical schools prefer students that did MPH at their school? I'm trying to decide between Umich and Emory, and want to know which will yield the best chances of getting in on my second go...

I doubt this would help very much. Instead, I'd pick which school has the better MPH program and feels like a better fit for you. I'd imagine Emory has a lot of opportunities given its proximity to CDC. Both schools are ranked very highly for public health (#5 and 7). Check out the MPH board and ask their opinion of the two schools. Congrats and good luck.

I disagree, I think it definitely helps to get the MPH at a school. That being said, the advantage is not so great that I'd make a decision based solely on your med apps. You might choose an MPH university, hate it, and not want to attend med school there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know someone else who is doing this and while I completely encourage you to do it, I just wonder whether it will make application harder for you because med schools might wonder why not continue with a career with the MPH - you may have some explaining to do so as not to sound that you did the MPH just because med school didn't work out.

Before you do it, it might be helpful to think about what it was about your on your application that hindered you and try to work on that. If it's a GPA issue, then perhaps the MPH might do good in a lot of ways. If it's something else, the year or two that you are going to take to do the MPH might be spent better doing something else. Just food for thought...

I am adding an MPH (epi) to my Master's program if I don't get off the waitlist I am on this year. It will only be another year and it is something that I was going to do in medical school anyway. Also, at BU you have to do a practicum that is basically practical work experience. I don't know if all MPH are like that. Anyway, if you are doing it for the right reasons, then more power to you. I don't think it is going to hurt, but make sure you really want to do it.

I was planning on doing an MD/MPH, so this is just a more roundabout way of accomplishing the same goal. I think the Epi MPH will give me a different perspective on health issues, which is (hopefully) something I will use later in my career. I had not thought about the fact that doing an MPH will make my apps harder; this is a good point to raise. However, I do feel that it shows a strong interest in community health, which is something that every physician must address on some level. thanks for the comments.

From these reply's it sounds as though both programs are generally regarded on the same level. And since i'm not looking for a career in public health, the potential opportunities at CDC might not be as a big a draw for me as a career public health worker.

Just to reiterate what fireflygirl said you need to look at the weaknesses in your application. If its a matter of exposure to health field do it, MCAT do but make sure you have the time to study and take it again. If its your GPA it depends. If it is your GPA in general it will help you but if its your science GPA it won't help you. From my understanding most MPH don't have alot of pure science classes. So if its your science GPA you need to work on you should look at Master programs that are more science intensive.

I have an MPH and I do not think it benefited me particularly in the application process. I have been out of school for some time, and they specifically noted that since an MPH is not considered difficult science material, my high GPA in my Master's program did not really make up for a lower GPA in undergrad.

However, even if an MPH won't help you get INto med school, I firmly believe it will help you be a better doctor. We need more big picture people out there! Do this if you truly have an interest. Don't do it to get a leg up.

Thanks again for all of the advice. In making a realistic evaluation of my application, I can say that my weakness is generally realted to the #'s game. I graduated with a 3.52 in biomedical engineering (this is obviously on the lower end of GPS's) and a 31 on the MCAT. My science GPA was 3.6. I also have 1.5 years of volunteer work, shadow experiences, clincal research, and lab work. I applied very early this cycle, and interviewed at several solid schools.

Since I am waitlisted at 4 schools, am I justified in feeling that I am right on the edge of where i need to be? With this in mind, and a genuine interest in public health, my thinking is that this will not only help me get into school but allow me to fullfill a professional goal at the same time.

It is disappointing to hear that medical schools don't think highly of MPH programs; after all it is a graduate program!

You would have to think that for someone in my position, without glaring weaknesses, this would be a good move to make...

Definitely go with the MPH. I think it helped me tremendously. The GPA probably didn't do that much, but the internship and research experiences that I had during the program were the foundation for my med school application.

Also, it's hard to do much in public health with only an MPH. Sooner or later you'll need to get an MD or PhD if you don't want to hit a glass ceiling. Med school understand this, and so long as you have an interest in public health and have a willingness to stay in the field then you will be an attractive candidate.

A word of caution though, if you do a 1 year epi program you might not be doing much except for some biostatistics and epi courses. Nothing too exciting there, and as I previously mentioned, gpa and coursework aren't what makes MPH candidates successful. What will make you a great candidate are the other experiences you have in conjunction with your degree or afterwards. For 2 year MPH students with an internship and ample time for work experience on the side, you should do very well. Feel free to PM me with questions or for my MD apps.

However, even if an MPH won't help you get INto med school, I firmly believe it will help you be a better doctor. We need more big picture people out there! Do this if you truly have an interest. Don't do it to get a leg up.

ummm, i highly doubt this, unless you are going into international or public-health policy. MPH has very little practicality for the vast majority of us who want to go into private practice (if that even exists in five years). Public health is VERY VERY important (im minoring in pub health because of this). But it will only help you become a better physician if your job has a huge public health component.

in general i would probably say that an MPH won't hurt you in the admission process, but it certainly won't make up for sub-par UG gpa (this is the same for ANY masters program, sadly)

why are people talking and lumping all mph programs into one category like they are all the same?? there is mph in chronic disease, epidemiology, oncology, healh policy, health administration, health care management, health communications, environmental health, health promotion, yadda yadda yadda. some will help you in your medical practice more than others. if you want to run a private practice, there is no doubt that an mph in healthcare management will help. If you want to improve your message as a physician to patients, a mph in health communications will help. Its not all the same people.

if you want to run a private practice, there is no doubt that an mph in healthcare management will help.

while i agree with the rest of your post, i don't agree with this. it's the same as the fact that you don't need a MBA to be successful in private practice. it COULD help, but it is NOT necessary at all.

while i agree with the rest of your post, i don't agree with this. it's the same as the fact that you don't need a MBA to be successful in private practice. it COULD help, but it is NOT necessary at all.
i didnt say necessary, i said help!.your just looking to criticize now. arent ya!!:cool: