MPH chance before MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopetocure2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to the following MPH schools: Dartmouth, Boston, Columbia, Emory, Ohio State, Tulane, Michigan, Florida, and Yale. What do people think my chances of acceptance are and should I do anything to better my chances?

GPA: 3.67 Triple Major (Engineering Physics, Biochemistry, and Zoology: University Honors)
MCAT: 13 BS 09 PS 07 VR = 29Q
GRE: Schools I applied to do not require
Letters of Rec: All great letters, used my medical school admissions committee letter to save my professors hassles of writing more letters
Essay: Talks about my healthcare experience, reason for wanting to pursue MPH and MD later on, and how my vision is aligned with the schools vision

Extracurricular Activities :
-FAA Certificated Flight Instructor
-FAA Commercial Pilot
-Full time college student at age 16
-Scholar Leader Program (Select program at my school for leadership...past people in the program have been Rhodes Scholars, Gates Scholars, etc.)
-Undergrad Physics Lab Instructor
-Multiple years on Student Government working on Academic and Environmental Policy
-Multiple runner of Marathon races
-School sailing team member and instructor
-Retina Regeneration Research
-Multiple Scholarships and Awards for academic excellence
-Lots of volunteer and clinical experience (free clinics and such)

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a great chance at the MPH schools you mentioned. I am currently attending Emory and I recall that most matriculants have 3.5ish GPA range so you should be set. Your low verbal score is slightly worrisome and you should consider retaking them for medical school admissions. MPH makes little impact in admissions cycle.

I am little biased here, but I think Emory MPH will give you slightly better leverage as you can work in CDC or Yerkes during your stay at the Rollins.

Maybe it's because you're applying to MPH that's okay, but if it was MD, I'd seriously have reservations about a triple major in Engineering Physics not being able to crack a 10 in PS and only a 7 in verbal.