MPH Decision: Loma Linda or USC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muttyguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on this...

I got into both programs at LLU and USC (Tulane also, but I'm opting out due to family and location)

ive heard other threads about USC, but what about Loma Linda?

I, like many others, plan on med school in the future.

USC has a small program, like 150 total students (thats all the tracks combined), its a newer program, and it isn't a school of public health (its within the school of med), but it is accred... i also have flexibility with what track i want to do (like I can switch to global health from health education without any prob)

LLU has its own school of public health, longer history, higher ranking (public health i mean), and its cheaper... however, they require a weekly church attendance, which is alright but kinda blah..i got into the global health leadership track.. i also connected very well with my interviewer (whos a faculty prof MD/PhD)

im really into public health, which is why I'm doing it before med school (plus bc i was abroad for a year im taking the mcat for the first time this summer and thus would have had to take a yr off anyway)

there are more factors ofcourse, but ive already written alot...

my main question is, along with my other qualifications, how will med school look at my public health school? will they look more highly upon a well-known USC degree or a higher ranked LLU one?

thanks for any input! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't know that LLU had a public health program. hmmmmm, that's tough...Me personally, I don't think you can go wrong at either place...........I'm in the same boat as you (trying to decide between Indiana U and GWU for healthcare administration)

That's a tough one! I agree that I don't think you'll go wrong either way, and as long as you do well in your coursework and co-curricular research/practice, and can articulate how your PH interest fits with your plans to become a doctor, you'll be fine.

I'd be slightly inclined towards Loma Linda, if the Seventh Day Adventist affiliation/activities are something you're OK with. Not because of any ranking issue, but because it's cheaper, I'm not a huge fan of the USC area in LA, and I think they approach public health from a less-clinical perspective.

Your preferences might be different, and since I've never been on a med school adcom, I don't really know how they'd view it. Again, I think the key is doing well wherever you go and integrating your PH and medical goals.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks guys im kinda leaning towards the usc program after talking to my pre-med advisor...

fyi- the usc program has classes in the alhambra and university park campuses and not the main one in downtown, both are in a better area only 10 mins from each other

thanks again

thanks guys im kinda leaning towards the usc program after talking to my pre-med advisor...

fyi- the usc program has classes in the alhambra and university park campuses and not the main one in downtown, both are in a better area only 10 mins from each other

thanks again

Great, glad you were able to get some good advice. Alhambra should be a fast commute for you!